BvS ultimate edition is so much more of a complete story.

It had been too long since I saw it without commercials and whatever further editing so I finally broke down and bought BvS.

The ultimate edition is way better. Way better. It is to me what someone on here called the Donner cut of Superman 2. It is a far more complete version of the story. They over did it when they toned down the violence. Batman saving Martha is better. The desert scene makes so much more sense. The extra dialogue helps. It is so much more of a fluid story. Seeing him take that flame thrower to the people that he just slaughtered makes Luthor’s scheming more sensible since they’re trying to frame Superman. That half hour that they cut before really helps to flesh out the story to me. That’s why they should just tell the story without toning it down. This is also why they need to make these movies for the real fan base. Even though it’s just action and suspense with sci fi/horror imagination some people are just going to hate any layered comic fiction. Please ignore them. They are not the right target audience.

Especially with other movies including comic movies going 3 hours in length I think this should have been released as the only edition. Just my opinions.

P.S. It not supposed to take you back to West or Reeves portrayal of the characters. It’s not supposed to be for 5 and 7 year olds untill it is. Tell the story right. Like I say when we disagree over trunks or no trunks nothing about this will make us forget that it’s fiction so there is no need to slap us in the face with reminders. I still say except for Bane since they are not pro wrestlers they don’t need trunks on because it hurts suspension of disbelief that underwear in on the outside but that’s another issue. Let us suspend disbelief is the point. Help with that suspension. If this were real then how and why would he or she go about whatever it is that they are doing. Adding in science and human nature is helpful. Don’t confuse me with a "rightwinger but "that’s why I put up with the anti gun overtones and the politics even though it can be a bother at times. It still sells the story and is a bit inspirational to the imagination. Like I always remind people who hate on fiction we only have cell phones because the 60s version of Star Trek had communicators and that inspired real world invention.

8 Likes

The cameos are the thing that’s supposed to take you back. That’s all.

1 Like

The Ultimate Edition is on be of the top 5 Superhero movies of all time.

I don’t care what anyone says.

5 Likes

I agree Wildman it is good. Very. I could understand if it’s not your thing or you said it just too long for your personal taste but the hate it got was unreasonable.

1 Like

Exactly why we need the Snyder cut of Justice League

I mean the ultimate edition made the plot make sense, but it still didn’t make it good.

3 Likes

It should be noted that cutting the half-hour wasn’t due to the content, but was purely a financial decision. They felt that cutting the time would equal more screen times which would equal more money.

1 Like

I think that the Ultimate Edition added a tad too much back in (and might have done well to cut a few things out), but scenes like this one are vital to balancing the focus of the film:

The theatrical cut is a Batman movie with Superman in it. The director’s cut is a Batman/Superman movie. That difference is essential, considering how the film ends.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen it, but as a Superman fan- nothing can save that movie for me.

Well, as the clip shows, he actually does some investigative journalism in this cut. How many other Superman films actually show Clark Kent doing his job?

2 Likes

@AlexanderKnox Other Superman films show Superman doing his job. This film has him floating nearby while Jimmy Olsen gets murdered, but show up faster than a speeding bullet when Lois is in danger.

He’s not floating nearby. We know that because of the–wait for it–Ultimate Edition, which shows where he was at the time of Jimmy’s death (keeping a watch on the US military).

2 Likes

That’s kind of unfair to judge if you haven’t seen it.

1 Like

Yeah. I’d say that people should at least watch the first half hour of the UE, where some of the most drastic changes occur (again, shifting the focus so that Superman is a protagonist in the film).

2 Likes

It definitely improves it.

I absolutely LOVE this movie (it’s not perfect of course). I wish I was better able to communicate my thoughts and feelings on it, or most things I like in general…
I think Martha Kent says: “People hate what they don’t understand.” Such a meta quote. In my opinion of course.

Granted, the theatrical cut didn’t help people “understand” the important character beats for Clark. For instance, a few seconds were trimmed from the end of this clip in the theatrical cut, and since those few seconds revolve around the Man of Steel helping out the wounded, the shorter edit turned him from Superman to Doctor Manhattan.

2 Likes

Agree. BvS is great in my opinion, especially the ultimate edition. I understand the criticisms (mainly the dour tone and uber violent Bats), but I can’t say I feel the same way. The only part of the movie I can do without is the Knightmare scene. Doesn’t really add or subtract anything… actually only confuses things… and I don’t like douchebag Supes. Other than that, it will remain one of my favorite movies, period.

2 Likes

Don’t know if I agree. Movies costing this much money can’t afford to be for a limited audience. They need to have mass appeal. While I appreciate that they made a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman movie that was to my liking, I would have been just as happy if Snyder indulged just a little bit less, for the sake of accessibility. We may have had a more successful franchise with potential sequels if that was the case.

1 Like

Yeah, a lot of the criticisms are valid. I do think there’s a lot digging and thinking you have to do for this movie. But if you can or are willing to view it differently, it’s a pretty unique story.

@moro I was interested in Knightmare (supposedly the Snyder Cut of JL has more also), but I do agree that I think he was maybe getting too ambitious(?) with his plan. I don’t know if killing Lois and getting an Anti-Life Equation Superman would be good. You think MOS/BvS flak was bad…

2 Likes

Agreed. I mean, I was ok with the first two movies being about how Clark “finds himself” and develops into a more complete hero, going into Justice League. Turning him evil is not something I want to see. Even if they were to do that, it should have been in a self contained arc that resolves itself in the same movie. Supes turns bad and the rest of the JL bring him back, or something. It just did not belong on BvS. Was a cool sequence, but didn’t make sense from a story perspective (for this particular movie)… and added unneeded dourness to an already dour tone. Also, how did it work? Flash goes back in time and somehow causes Bats to dream of the future? Would have worked better if it was just a warning from Barry; “Lois is the key” would have been a good enough indication of what was to come.

3 Likes