BVS Discussion

Biff pow, he got it at Salvation Army
De Sade, I watch in reverse of how you do. First, I’m there to enjoy, later I’ll rewatch or just think more deeply about it. Most of the time my opinion drops over time. Will say, I thought Captain Marvel was a dull mess while actually watching was is unusual for me since I tend to give superhero movies the benefit of the doubt.

2 Likes

@msgtv
I was trained in theater so it my default behavior. Doesn’t matter what film, live theater, opera (bleech) All I look for is “the mistakes”.
Although, I will be the first to admit, I am a lousy audience.

DeSade that makes sense. I can watch a medical show know stuffs not exactly right but not care, but if a show has military members with long hair or wearing headgear indoors (unless they are under arms) it immediately pulls me out of the story and drives me nuts.

1 Like

Even worse for me, military are firing at the bad guy and they are just standing up. Take some freaking cover, shoot, move and communicate!

This is a really well done film. I love that it takes chances and has an actual plot instead of Super Heroes chasing a macguffin. I love how well thought out Lex is. I love all the references to the comics. I love how Wonder Woman felt like a natural inclusion versus universe building. I love how Lois is the character who figures everything out. I love the theme of trying to find out your place in the world. I love how the fallout from Man of Steel drives some of the plot as we see how that epic battle effected others (only other movie that ever scratched the surface on this was the last Spider-Man. I love the cinematography and wardrobe. I enjoy Man of Steel more but this or Logan are my two favorite super hero movies since Nolan stopped making them.

7 Likes

Batman v superman was a dumpster fire plain and simple.

2 Likes

I am someone who only watched a few movies in theaters, for various reasons…I recently decided to watch all 22 MCU movies, so I could watch Endgame in Theaters. Now, I’m watching all the DCEU movies following the order of a random website. I just finished BvS and I honestly don’t understand why people hated it so much. For one it was a nice change of pace compared to almost every other super hero film, but also the story line was just really intricate and does a nice job of pulling together other characters. I know nothing of Zack Snyder, but not many directors could have pulled of this kind of movie. I should say, I decided to watch the extended cut because of what I read on various forms. This is what he originally wanted, so it makes sense to watch this version instead. I wasn’t disappointed.
So far, I am really enjoying the DCEU. Suicide Squad is next!

3 Likes

@SavedbyGrace Everyone hates it because it was awful. All the characters act out of character to fit into Zack Snyder’s “realistic” world. For some reason Zack Snyder thinks being shocking is the same as having gravity in the film. It’s not. You don’t need to have Jimmy Olsen shot in the head to be more realistic. And Zack Snyder goes out of his way to insult anyone who dislikes his film.

3 Likes

Alright, I wasn’t gonna weigh in on this, because truth be told, I find these discussions…I don’t know…I don’t have a politically correct word I can use here :joy:. Anyhow, I liked BvS, especially the extended version, a lot. It had its flaws. The Knightmare sequence/subplot was unnecessary and made the movie more difficult to understand. I think Snyder over-indulged on that one. Many other ways they could have introduced the upcoming Apokliptan threat, while keeping things more coherent. Another one for me is Superman needed more heroic moments earlier in the movie. Partly to drive home the point of what a hero he’s been and what he means to the world, and partly because that is what I like to see Superman do!

Those 2 criticisms though do not ruin the movie for me. I enjoyed seeing Clark be an investigative journalist. I like the idea of not everyone being on board with Superman…I think it was thoughtfully done, especially all the discussions of what it means for a being with such power to exist among us. I like how everything came together at the end to show how Lex was manipulating everyone. The action sequences…from the batmobile chase, to the SM/BM fight, to the Martha rescue, to the fight with Doomsday…all were epic in my opinion. Was sitting on the edge of my seat during all those scenes. Very well shot, and I can actually see everything happening, vs. some other movies’ blurry/shaky cam. The Wonder Woman introduction was great…the scene where the Trinity comes together at the end…I can replay that over and over and it gets me smiling every time. Several moments straight out of The Dark Knight Returns and The Death Superman…we all know what they are. All this makes me like the movie. I was not the least bit disappointed.

The Martha scene, which has been the butt of all jokes, I actually thought was very understandable and didn’t really think twice about it. Thomas Wayne’s very last word before he died was Martha. The movie made that very clear. It’s the memory itched in Bruce’s head, the memory that set him on his path. So of course when Clark says it, it will give him pause. It’s actually a nice little play on how for decades their moms had the same name.

Like most of you, I have a certain picture of my favorite characters in my head. A “preferred” or “ideal” version so to speak. I will admit, I have yet to see that picture of Superman on the screen. Reeve comes very close, but wasn’t badass enough, Cavill was badass plenty but too reserved, Cain was a bit emo…you get the picture. Actually the closest it comes for me is the Animated Series version, but even there, the poofy cartoonish style subtracts a bit for me. I enjoy them all. I realize that it will always be someone else’s interpretation of a character I love on the screen. All it has to do, for this viewer, is come close enough and entertain me. Batman and Superman don’t kill…not in the comics they don’t. In Snyder’s movies they did…and it didn’t feel out of place, because that was his interpretation of the characters and it jived with the rest of the movie(s). We see it happen in action movies all the time without batting an eye. However, because it’s the iconic characters that we know and love so much…one of their defining traits/ideals…we object. I feel like us comics fans can get a bit over-zealous and over-protective of our favorite characters, and I think it’s ok for a movie or even comic creator to play with our concepts of these heroes or subvert them a bit, as long as I can still identify those heroes and it entertains me. BvS did that for me…it gave me the DC Trinity and entertained me.

I really do not mean any disrespect here. If you didn’t like it you didn’t like it. What it takes to “entertain” could be very different from one person to the next. I’m in the very small minority that didn’t like Thor Ragnarok (too comedic for me). Just felt compelled to share my opinion.

Wow…I haven’t typed that much in a while. Sorry if I bored you to death up there.

2 Likes

Oh yeah…forgot to mention…Snyder’s “you’re living in an f-ing dream world” (or whatever he said)…was disrespectful and unnecessary. That’s not how discussions should be had. This is coming from a fan of his movies.

4 Likes

Martha

1 Like

See, my perspective is someone who hasn’t really been involved with all the discussions, forums, or reviews. All I knew is that “everyone” hated the DC movies - especially BvS. I’m also someone that doesn’t watch trailers because I feel it ruins movies. I’m also a person that has never really read the comics, so if anything wasn’t done correctly I am oblivious. Though I am slowly getting into it with my sub to DC Universe :slight_smile:
So yeah…I stand by my opinion. I think BvS was actually good and I don’t understand the overwhelming hate it got.
The only thing I didn’t like was Lex’s character (or his son? I didn’t quite get that). He’s overly loopy. But I also just don’t like the actor in general with other movies he’s in.

3 Likes

I understand the criticisms; to each their own, especially when it comes to personal taste. Nice to hear that you enjoyed the movie, @SavedbyGrace. Hope you enjoy your comics journey just the same!

1 Like

I think there are passionate views on both sides. I can see as someone coming to it fresh and not heavily (yet) into the canonical elements of the characters, it could be an enjoyable film.

For myself it fell so far out of canon for S&B that I didn’t jive with the psychological profiles of the characters and yet also,!if it was going to make such a departure, it didn’t give a valid reasoning behind the choices.

BvS is and likely will be the most controversial film using these characters for quite some time to come.

I will also add, IMO, Mr Snyder’s truculent attitude towards the films detractors only fans the flames of descent. The “if he wants a flame war, he’ll get it.”

2 Likes

Putting a simply,

It’s a perfect movie, two sides played against each other because they are caught up in “self”. lex is the smartest man on Earth as he should be. Best Batman and I don’t care if he kills. He looks amazing! Best Superman period I love a big non dork acting sups. He doesn’t have to be Christopher Reeves!!!

A master class of film, shot for shot it’s amazing the music is iconic, only movie I paid three times to see

The story was butchered a bit by the studio but I seen most of where it was going but holy crap the ultimate edition connected all the dots and the scenes they added really help show how much a head lex was.

I loved lex since to me he was just a little crazy which isn’t lex but it worked for me. He literally said his motivations at least twice and people still said I don’t get why lex did anything…(people are dumb)

4 Likes

“It doesn’t matter if the actor gets it,!or the director gets. What matters is does the audience get it” - Jerzy Gratowski

If a character has to justify themselves twice in the exact same way. That just goes to show the actor & director didn’t get it. Not that the audience is dumb. (I shan’t comment on IF those in the audience that “got it” did so as they are so willing to be led around by the nose.)

@abdmgsw, Reeve was absolutely fantastic and still the definitive on screen Superman. By badassery I meant something along the lines of Superman For Tomorrow…think of some of those awesome panels by Jim Lee. I feel Cavill has captured that attitude a bit more in his performance.
@everyone…the audience is not dumb or led around by the nose. It’s a matter of personal taste, folks.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Was just using it as an example of what I meant…wasn’t being literal.

1 Like

The editor of the YouTube channel Mr Sunday Movies recently discussed the opening scene of the film and the visual language employed in it. The video illustrates both the careful construction of the film and its method of conveying themes through imagery:

Absolutely loathed the way Superman was presented in that Snyder trilogy- but if you enjoyed it, that’s cool too.

1 Like