Burnt Out

Hello, all! I’ve been a DC Comics fan for a few years now, but I find myself enjoying comics and then getting burnt out from them. I’ll find some that will get me interested again, then get burned out. Anyone have tips to keep the burned out feeling away so I can enjoy comics again?

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that. But I think the solution is to find something you are genuinely interested in and stick with that. If a comic gets boring move on to a new one and come back to the boring one later. That’s what I do.

7 Likes

Thank you! I’m definitely going to try this tonight!

1 Like

I think to some degree that happens with everyone, @TheWombleBeast. Similar to what @Behemoth said, I actually keep multiple comic series running all at once. It helps to switch between the different characters and storylines when I’m not feeling like reading a particular issue. I hope that helps and that you get your comic zest back!

7 Likes

Me too. Thank you!

2 Likes

I get that way with new comics sometimes, but I’m so into the club’s on here lately that I find myself reading a lot more from past eras. It’s fun to go back and read comics you loved before but haven’t read in awhile.

6 Likes

You will not like every comic. If a series gets boring, stop reading it and switch to another.

3 Likes

I need to start getting involved in the clubs. I’ve joined some but need to take the plunge!

3 Likes

I’d also recommend switching genres from time to time (or mixing them into your regular reading). I get less superhero fatigue if I’m reading something funny, scary or whatever on the side. And definitely try some of the clubs!

2 Likes

I would recommend that you read Independent comics such as

Saga
Y: The Last Man
Papergirls
Percepolis
American Vampire
Fun Home
Archie
Hellboy
The Sandman
Lock and Key
The Umbrella Acadamy
Scott Pilgrum? Maybe?
Invincible
V for Vendetta
30 Days of Night
Wytches
and the holy Maus

After reading a few of these, then return, and you will have a new perspective and desire to read comics

6 Likes

I’m going to add Spencer and Locke to this list of indie recs!
-C

2 Likes

personally I do not stick to one DC story / hero, when reading,to keep things interesting and fresh, but to avoid burn out on reading, I suggest just taking a break now and then. Or take a break from your normal reading heros, B,S,WW, and switch up to something new ya havent tried before. DC is coming out this year with an Adam Strange series and I am beyond looking forward to that and already have it on my pull list. Plus There is a new Green Lantern added to the Corps which is more of a detective story than hero. The problem i have with comics, is finding where to start so i dont have to back track to get a clear picture on what I am getting into.

5 Likes

I’d say diversify your reading. If you read ONLY DC, then DC’s gonna get old quick. I intersperse my DC reading with Marvel, Star Wars, manga, genre fiction, and “serious” literary novels. This ensures that I don’t get sick of any one thing.

2 Likes

Thank you for the awesome list!

Last night I tried Birds of Prey for the first time and really loved it! I agree with not just following the trinity.

3 Likes

Birds of Prey is the best, @TheWombleBeast! Before I trimmed down my reply, I listed that I’ve been reading that series. It has quite a few issues so it’s a great consistent refresher between other new comic lines. So glad to hear that you’re reading it too!

2 Likes

Following recommended reading list can become homework. I’d say just stick with what you’re naturally attracted to. Unfortunately for me I’m drawn to damaged characters (Azrael) that are never used much anymore. I read stuff I grew up with that’s now faded from memory.

2 Likes

I know how this feels! I get in the habit of using reading lists because I often like to see how characters are introduced. Unfortunately, it’s only fun for a bit before it becomes homework, as you said. I feel you about stuff not used anymore too! I’m almost done with my binge of Birds of Prey, and then it just stops. Super upsetting.

1 Like

I can relate.

What I do is when I feel that way I stop reading for a week (or two or three). I keep buying my favorite comics though. Eventually I end up with a nice stack to catch up on. My mood eventually swings back and instead of watching a show or movie, I‘ll entertain myself with that stack. I find reading a few issues in a row to be a lot more satisfying. You become a bit more invested in the story.

Another thing I do is go back to old books I’ve always meant to read. It makes for a nice break from current ongoings.

Finally, I’m always on here. Being around this community only fuels me to wanna read more :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have to agree with the majority, I think everyone gets burnt out from time to time. Too much of a good thing maybe? :smiley: I find that just talking with people about what I’m reading really helps. Some people might have a different take on a character or storyline, it makes you look at it from a different perspective and that really helps hold my interest.

3 Likes