box office receipts

I’ve noticed that whenever a new super-hero movie is released, I can’t get through any of my news apps without seeing an article about how much money the movie has made in its first few days of opening.
It’s Sunday and I’ve not seen ONE piece on Shazam’s box office haul.
What gives?

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/06/box-office-shazam-dc-films-zachary-levi-gal-gadot-jason-momoa-aquaman-wonder-woman-batman/#2ef414594864

1 Like

Forbes is a good place to follow the box office. I does a good job of projecting numbers and putting them in context. So it’s not just who won the weekend.

1 Like

I check box office mojo every Sunday.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

I’ve been following a forum that throwdown predictions and BO updates. Every Sunday around noon central time they post box office results

2 Likes

An advantage to BO Mojo is that you can see numbers by movie territory. It’s killing in South Korea but not New Zealand you’ll ask yourself, then you’ll wonder why you don’t have better things to worry about.

2 Likes

Part of it might be Shazam apparently didn’t do great. it didn’t do bad either, and will surely turn a profit, but compared to Aquaman, Avengers and Captain Marvel it didn’t do well and I think most were expecting better. I was surprised, I mean I wasn’t expecting it to make a billion dollars or anything, but thought it would do better then it did.

1 Like

So I see it’s weekend haul was just over $50 million. Disappointing. It is one of the most family friendly super hero movies I’ve seen and the best origin story.
Just let it earn enough to justify a sequel. Seems like 4 years since Black Adam was cast and I’m dying to see the Rock as a villain ).

Shazam’s doing fine for a character that isn’t at all familiar to the greater non-comic fan segment of the general populace. Strong word of mouth will continue to help the theatrical run. Merchandising and the eventual home video and television revenues will also be key to the movie’s overall success.

Remember, Batman Begins didn’t break any box office records either and that too was a highly acclaimed, fan favorite origin story. Word of mouth helped it out tremendously in the long run. We all know the unprecedented levels of success that movie paved the road for.

2 Likes