Boston Brand

What’s the best Deadman comic on here besides JL Dark. I started the Neal Adams & wasn’t feeling it. Should I go back & retry. I was only 2 issues in. Or is there one that you would recommend to someone who is very familiar to the character. In other words, it doesn’t have to be early. I could jump right in with advanced stuff, just need a hand on which one/ones are the best on this site.

Neil Adams is the original. His teamups with Batman are great in the Brave and the Bold. Honestly the original I feel are the best. Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love is a nice story about him.

2 Likes

Too bad you didn’t like Neal Adams work on him. I assume you mean his original stories in…Astounding Tales I think it was? I read several of those a couple months ago and rather enjoyed them. Simple but good stories.

There’s a user named DeadmanBrand or something similar on here. I assume he’s a big Deadman fan and can give you some better insight. I can’t say I’ve read any other Deadman stories that stick out to me.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I love Neal Adams I was reading a mini series by him. I’ll go back & try it out again. I was only 2 issues in & it was the day after a dr diagnosed my dad with throat cancer. It turned out to be a misdiagnosis, it was a bacterial infection that mimicked literally every symptom of throat cancer. So, needless to say. I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to enjoy a comic. It was the Neal Adams 2017 #6 issue mini series I read 1 1/2. I just looked & there’s a bunch more. I bet I like it on a retry plus the other stuff looks promising. Just read that mansion one u said, it seems up my alley. Appreciate it.

1 Like

Astounding tales I just caught that. I didn’t see u mentioned that. I’ll try that & mansion one. I can’t think of an adams read I didn’t like so I’m gonna go with my head wasn’t in the right place cuz I bet I’ll like it & the 2 u mentioned look good. Just read about em on- line all positive remarks.

1 Like

Correction. It was Strange Adventures 205 and the next several issues. Simple but fun.

I will say they have a giant plot hole in that Deadman could possess his enemies and get out of nearly every predicament, but whatevs. They are fun.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank u, I don’t mind plot holes as long as, like u said, there still a fun read. Doesn’t bother me a bit but thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I’ve been summoned by BatWatch!
Yeah, unfortunately I can only echo what’s already been said. You only get back so much when you search Deadman. But I would try Neal Adams again, who is pretty much why I have the user name and icon that I do. Do the Strange Adventures stories, however. That more recent mini-series was not my favorite either. For something more modern, somebody else already mentioned, but Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love is solid.

3 Likes

Right on DeadmanBrand will do.

2 Likes

I just read and enjoyed Brave and the Bold (2007) #14, starting Deadman and Green Arrow. Great art, great ending.

2 Likes

The Kelley Jones miniseries were pretty good. I don’t remember what they’re called, though…

2 Likes

dogweilder9, biff-pow & Batwing.

Thank u. I will honestly get to all those. I read a lot!! So not just saying that

I will read those. What storyline was i?, when Deadman was ordered by Dr. Fate to

Not only become Fate, but watch over Grayson as well during a crisis?

Man, that was a great one, can’t locate it in my notebooks.

1 Like

dogwelder9

Sorry I butchered your tag.

Read Deadman: “Dark Mansion Of Forbidden Love” last night. Absolutely loved it. I’ll get

to the others but that was a great start,thanks for all the help.

I’m going ape on Deadman. Following a master reading order almost all are on here. So many that u can fill in the gaps with the few that aren’t on here. All your suggestions are included. I was reading the suggested Strange Adventures, which was awesome. I looked to see where/if the story continued & found a list that has all your suggestions, & backstory issues etc in order. There all amazing, thank u sincerely.

1 Like

I like it when people give feedback on how they liked suggestions. More people should do this.

1 Like

BatWatch

Thank u. It’s so great to get advice from people who really know the characters. I have received countless suggestions on comics for characters I wish to read about. When I posted this I’d read a few of the Neal Adams & wasn’t feeling em. Then I took the recommendations on here & went back & read the earliest suggestions. I thought I knew Deadman pretty well. Starting at the silver age suggestions & earlier stuff made me realize I didn’t know what I should to be jumping to the Neal Adams stuff. Now I can’t wait to get there, b/c his story makes so much more sense to me. I read the dark mansion of love & it was awesome. Then I came back & saw the Strange Adventures suggestion. It was unreal & I got hooked on following Deadmans storylines from the start. It also transcends into the animated stuff. I’ve seen all the toons a million times. The Brave & the Bold Batman’s were always a favorite. Reading these made me want to go back & watch those episodes with Deadman again. Sorry I wrote a book, most people know I write long posts. I don’t mean to but bottom line, thank u for the advice & the compliment. I really appreciate it.

1 Like