Black & White Batman Year One Sketch

Ok so this is my first sketch in a few years and its the first time in this medium.
I’ve been watching Jim Lee sketching videos and wanted to try it out. I know I am No Jim Lee hes my inspiration for the style.
Its a pencil sketch I then inked and colored with markers. I finished it off with a white paint pen (sharpie).
To keep inline with the posting rules, this is a Black and White Batman Year One sketch.

And this is a gif I made to show my process.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did drawing it.

11 Likes

I’m liking a lot of you line strokes. I know that Jim Lee is your inspiration but I’m getting a half way Tim Sale/Darwin Cooke vibe. Which is a good thing.

3 Likes

@Z-A-C , Thank you and yes that is a good thing. Fun fact, I put four Bat symbols (partial) and two Aquaman symbols in this sketch. One is on his chest obviously, Happy Hunting everyone.

3 Likes

This looks incredible!! I really like it. Awesome job with the lighting/shading! I think I found both Aquaman symbols and three out of the four Batman symbols (I won’t say where as to avoid spoiling it for others; let’s just say that I think it’s very creative the way you worked the symbols in).

2 Likes

Love it’s look, it’s like Tim Sale drawing Batman from Year One

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. Also I bet you’ve found the last bat symbol by the time I’m writing this.

Clue- One bat symbol is flipped sideways.
(Thats the one my family didn’t see untill I pointed it out)

1 Like

@TheSandmanofGotham You are the second to mention Tim Sale, thank you. I like his style of Batman very much.

That’s seriously cool! Good job!

1 Like

@Z-A-C
@TheSandmanofGotham
I grabbed my copy of Batman The Long Halloween which Tim Sale is the artist and I totally see what your talking about. So I’ve picked a drawing from The Long Halloween to sketch next and it’s not a Batman.
@Behemoth
Thank you
@Alanstamey2arts
I am a fan of yours so I want you to see this and give me any feed back you have.

3 Likes

Very awesome™️

2 Likes

I like how you trade marked your comments.

2 Likes

Only the word awesome™. It was a joke in the DC Mafia Game club and now my autocorrect adds the trademark there so I just leave it.:joy:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it and was wondering if I could use the word Awesome on here anymore.
Haha

1 Like

This is great! You really captured the shadow play and moody lighting of “The Long Halloween” (one of my favorites) the shading on Batman’s face is fantastic! And the pose you put him in shows you’ve got a good grasp on visual action. You definitely have a natural talent here. . I’m hoping to see more!
PS: Thank you for the compliment. I am flattered
You wanted my opinion on it.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words and critique. I’m curtently working on another sketch in the Tim Sale style. I want to paint on canvas like you do one day, I feel like painting is a true art.

1 Like

Beautiful! I love the stark contrast of his white eyes! :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you @TheGirlWonder12
And for anyone who was looking for the hidden bat and aquaman symbols here they are, bat circled in yellow and aqua in green.

@WingsOfAether
Did you find them all?

2 Likes

Yes!! I did! Thanks - it was quite fun! :grin:

1 Like

Glad you had fun, I’m working on another one should be posting it Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I plan to hide symbols in this one as well.

1 Like

I think you’ll be a great painter, I’ve always found it easier compared to drawing/inking personally. There is alot more room for shade and texture with paint and canvas. I think this is true art too, you spent time and creative energy making a visual representation of your own thoughts. That’s what true art is to me. And I can’t wait to see the next on.

2 Likes