After four seasons, training a family of superheroes, years of fighting a nefarious crime lord, one multiversal Crisis and saving his city countless times, Jefferson Pierce’s journey has finally come to an end.
This week at the #arrowverse-couch-club, we’re honoring the legacy of Black Lightning by coming together and watching the series finale. After seeing his rivalry with Tobias Whale play out for years, Jefferson is ready for perhaps the final confrontation with his greatest enemy, and he’s not going to let anything, not even death, stand in the way of saving his city.
- Our Watch-Along begins on Saturday, May 29th at 9 PM EST/6 PM PST
- We’re watching the following episode:
- Season 4, Episode 13: The Book of Resurrection: Chapter Two: Closure
- You can watch Black Lightning for free without a login on the CW’s website or app. You may also have it available on DVR/On Demand, but we still recommend watching via the CW so as to make sure everyone’s on the same page with commercials, which can’t be skipped on the website/app.
- Have your episodes cued up and be ready to push “play” at the strike of the hour! If you’re watching via the CW, be sure to start a bit early to let the initial commercials play, and then be ready to begin right as we start.
Now the second Arrowverse show to end its run, Black Lightning has certainly left a unique mark on this universe, as it didn’t even start in the same continuity as the Arrowverse but was ultimately folded into the mix through Crisis on Infinite Earths. Beyond providing the kind of superhero action and family drama the CW is known for, the show also tackled complex issues of race, as not even a family of heroes was untouched by the ugliness of prejudice in Freeland. That already made the task of raising a family difficult enough, but throw in two superpowered daughters in Anissa and Jen and you’ve got one of the most complicated lives anyone could ever ask for.
It’s certainly the kind of life that puts a big strain on Jefferson’s marriage to Lynn Stewart, but while they started out already divorced on the show, continuing to raise their children and working together to help keep Freeland safe helped remind them just how much they truly love each other despite all their differences. Though many different villains threatened the safety of the Pierce family over the years, none stood out more than Tobias Whale, who was almost always the biggest threat facing the city at any given moment. This gangster was the one who murdered Jeff’s father decades ago, and after fighting against him for so many years, Black Lightning is finally ready to take him down once and for all, by any means necessary…
If you’re not yet a member, be sure to join the Arrowverse Couch Club! Though Black Lightning is now over, we’ve still got four active shows to break down each week: Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman, The Flash and Superman & Lois, with Supergirl and Stargirl also returning in August. Click here for more information and here to join!