Black Lightning (the TV show)

Kinda seems underrated. So much attention is given to The Flash, SuperGirl, Arrow, so this ones is less talked about, so it seems… But I love it… I’m behind on this season, but whose watching it, or has started too?

Thoughts…

5 Likes

It is an awesome show! I did not anticipate it being so good, but it’s certainly worth watching. I actually like it more than the Flash, Supergirl & LOT :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

really like it, too–anytime Henderson has a scene with Jeff, the wry dialogue slays me, how the two friends see the world a little differently, but the same–and Jeff and Lynn together = relationship goals

S2 is pretty dang good but I prefer the first … Lala was a great villain and Syonide had that deadly silent menace working opposite of Tobias

2 Likes

I liked season 1, but season 2 isnt working for me.

Its not that its poorly made, its very well crafted , but the storytelling isnt pulling me in any more. It feels a bit like its just treading water. Coupled with the sepia toned atmosphere of the world I find myself only watching it when I have watched everything else. I am looking for it to be a more fun romp I guess. Everyone is too tormented with the weight of the world.

It could use a little bit of sunshine, one or two characters that takes lightly on things to balance it.

2 Likes

Oh, a dev needs to fix forum to prevent double submission of form.

When Black Lightning debuted, I watched it for a few episodes. It’s good (I liked James Remar’s character in particular) but it’s not something I consistently watch. Supergirl is the only CW show I’m consistently following ATM.

2 Likes

It definitely has the most depth of any CW cape show in terms of writing, character and subject matter. It’s a heavy watch.

2 Likes

Am I wrong, or is Black Lightning now the only superhero show on the air with a black lead? Luke Cage is canceled, and while Titans has Anna Diop as Starfire, that’s more of an ensemble cast — and I’d argue the show’s true leads are Dick and Raven, anyway.

2 Likes

I think it depends on what one considers a superhero. While I haven’t seen it yet, the synopsis of Netflix’s Always a Witch signals it might be one.

3 Likes

Not just the lead, it might be the only DRAMA where the four first-billed performers are all black actors.

3 Likes

For me, Black Lighting is the weakest CW show. It’ s not because I think it’s a bad show, it’s objectively not. It’s well written, structured, shot and acted. Despite all that, however, it’s just the least fun to watch. The CW shows have made me feel a lot of things, but boredom was never one of them. More often than not when I’m watching Black Lightning, I just feel pure boredom. Nothing of intrigue or exciting seems to happen all that often, save for a few well choreographed fights. The show focus more on the drama and also holding a mirror up to social issues in America today- which is fine, all CW shows have their platform, but they’re usual backed up by a fun plot. Black Lightning doesn’t have this. It also seems to suffer from a severe pacing issue. We’re midway through the second season, and we’re still dealing largely with issues from the previous one. Having said all that, I still watch it with the hope of it being crossed over with the Arrowverse one day, but it’s less of watching it for pleasure and more of just checking off a box as of right now.

2 Likes

@Truth_Of_Pisces I’ll respectfully disagree. I appreciate that you’ve given it credit for good writing and such, but we split on it being exciting. I’d agree that it’s not a very funny show but for me, that’s what sells it. I love that at least one CW show puts humor on the back burner in favor of real worldness(I know that’s not a word, but it’s late and I’m tired :joy:). This is how it stands out from the others. The villain is awesome, the lead is waaay better than I thought he was gonna be at first glance and the story lines are in tune with real issues that the other shows either can’t or don’t present very often…Its a winner for me so far.
Side note: we agree about the pacing. I’m ready to move on to new villains and problems for these heroes. It is beginning to drag a bit in this regard…

3 Likes

@sirreal, I will also agree that the show has a great villain. The actor portraying Tobias Whale is the stand out of the whole show. Cress Williams is also great, though I’m not a fan of his costume.

3 Likes

@Truth_Of_Pisces ohh we agree on the costume for sure! I’m not sure why anyone who’s trying to be inconspicuous would wanna look like a light bulb :grin::joy:

3 Likes

I am going to have to agree about the BL costume. Out of seven or so DC costumed hero shows, his is my least favorite.

3 Likes

I love it :slight_smile: My favorite thing is the family dynamic with The Pierces.

4 Likes

love the music.

2 Likes

I enjoy Black Lightning, but like others have said it is a heavy watch and Race is used as a crutch way to much. I like the family dynamic of the Pierces’, but I’m confused as to Jefferson and Lynn, divorced and reconciling, parents with benefits, I have no idea the basis of their relationship.

Tobias Whale is probably the best thing on the show. To have such menace able to drop a pun is refreshing.

I love the show and think it’s also underrated. Love the social commentary and serious tone. I feel like all the cw shows are different in terms of tone and storytelling, which feels more like the comics. It would be boring if all the shows felt the same. I can understand why some might not find it enjoyable tho.

1 Like