Black Hero Suggestions

I know about Vixen, Black Lightning, and Cyborg, but I’m fairly new to the comic book world. Can you suggest any great comics within this app that feature black heroes or villains?

3 Likes

First appearance of John Stewart is on here. Green Lantern issue 87. One of the first heroes of the age to be created without “black” in his name. Then issues 182 - 190 (also on here) have some more stories led by John. These aren’t major story arcs or anything, but a great look at some early stories of one of the best GLs in the sector! Also cool to read issue 87 with and understanding of what the political climate was when it was written.

1 Like

Batwing isn’t bad and Greg Rucka’s Checkmate has some good issues that feature the Bronze Tiger.

3 Likes

The Young Justice comic that is on here is a companion to the animated series, might have some stories that feature that version of Aqualad.

1 Like

Icon

2 Likes

Static, Icon, and all the other milestone comic heroes

4 Likes

A cool black villain is Black Manta. He’s one of my favorites hands down.

3 Likes

Mr Terrific is a really cool character in the various Justice Society series and despite some questionable art his New 52 series (which unfortunately only got eight issues) was really well written.

1 Like

If you want to read a good Black Manta story check out the first year of the current Aquaman series.

1 Like

Earth 2 and Earth 2: Society are good choices as well; they feature Val-Zod, a Black version of SUPERMAN.

I’d also recommend MOSAIC, a miniseries featuring Green Lantern John Stewart.

2 Likes

The '80s Suicide Squad series on here features Bronze Tiger (and Vixen). He’s one of my favorites.

Check out some of the animated shows especially the justice league episode blackest night. Phil Lamar’s voice over of John Stewart reciting the green lantern oath is one of the greatest pieces of dialogue ever.

He’s not technically human, but maybe Icon?

1 Like

Batwing and steel

Hardware is great. I never finished the series (I think it ran 50 or so) but really enjoyed how it kicked off. It’s sort of a reverse Batman or Iron-man, where a young black man has all this physical and mental ability but is subject to the wealth and whims of the rich and powerful white dude. I’m not someone who usually cares about political topics in comics, but the battles waged weren’t social issues, it was just a part of this characters make-up that he didn’t have the advantages that so many of the rich white millionaires have when they get bored and decide to do something with their lives and eventually don a costume and fight crime. It’s from the early/mid-90’s so it does have some dated elements, but I still really like it and recently started re-reading it.

I also think the early Teen Titans (The New Teen Titans-1980) was the best Victor Stone/Cyborg stuff. The art is great and the writing is really solid; it was DC’s top seller at the time, I believe. It’s a team story but Cyborg was very prominent, and it’s also when he was the most interesting. Today I feel like Vic is really boring because most of what his stories are about revolve around his technology. Back then, his tech was just sort of a super-power like Supes flight or something, and his character and personal life was a lot more focused on, making him much more interesting, in my opinion.

Those are the couple items I would suggest checking out.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I just realized you said “within this app” and I don’t believe Hardware is in here.

Steel, Henry Irons, he came about during the Reign of Superman after the Death of Superman. Some of those are up currently. His niece is on the current Titans team (not on here). … Titans Hunt features two older classic Teen Titans heroes, Bumblebee and Herald…They don’t have any of the Static Shock comics on here but they do have the cartoon, and it was pretty good. … I didn’t read it but I think Future’s End had Mr. Terrific in a large role. I don’t think any of his solo stuff is on here right now, he’s a pretty awesome hero.

John Stewart is one of the main Green Lanterns (and leader of the Corps in recent books). He’s also the Green Lantern in the animated Justice League cartoon.

I would really recommend the comic series Icon. I know its not on this app but it really is worth looking into. The characters of Rocket, his partner, and Icon are well written especially with their dynamics and interactions.

1 Like

I can list here all day, BUT you did say you’re new. Soooo I think it would be a cool chance for you to be a day one Batwing fan. I don’t know if anyone noticed it but Batwing has the most issues on this app than any other hero! I was pumped when I saw. THIRTY FIVE ISSUES BRUH!! First watch Batman Bad Blood, the Get to binging

GregariousEnviousCaracal-small.gif