Black Adam by Christopher Priest and Rafa Sandoval in July 2022!

Now THIS is something I’m extremely excited about! I didn’t care a fig about Deathstroke (though I did like Rose) in 2016, but artist Carlo Pagulayan’s involvement got me to check out the series, and I was hooked by Priest’s dark, intelligent writing. I cannot with for Priest to do the same thing, but of course new and fresh, with Black Adam! Hope that the upcoming movie, even with the slipping release date, will give this series the attention it will hopefully merit! The art should be amazing, too!

9 Likes

Priest is hit and miss for me, but I’ll check this one out, due to it being a first for Black Adam (his first ongoing), and that since Black Adam is my most-anticipated DC movie of the year, I’m game for most anything with him ATM.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Priest’s Deathstroke run and how he was able to make him a compelling character to read while still keeping him a scumbag. Hopefully he can continue to do so with Black Adam.

2 Likes

Priest is hit after hit for me, at least since 2016! I’ve bought Inhumans and Vampirella because he wrote them, which I would never have done before! So this is a must buy for me!

@Jay_Kay Completely agree! I hope for the same kind of incredible moral maturity that Priest displayed with Deathstroke here!

3 Likes

Different strokes for different folks, Mr. deviled eggs fan. :wink:

I liked Priest on Deathstroke, but his Justice League run was…eh, not so good. Not bad by any means, just…there.

I hope that Black Adam will be more akin to Deathstroke, in terms of good writing, and substantially less like Justice League.

Of course, we all know Priest’s absolute best writing gig for DC is Total Justice, and yes, I’m kidding. It is a fun read though, especially if you’re familiar with the toy line that it was based on.

2 Likes

I am a fan of Priests and Devils, clearly :wink:

I agree that Priest’s JL wasn’t great, but it had some really cool moments, and I view it mostly as a backup to his Deathstroke run.

Definitely agree that I want a Priest Black Adam like Priest Deathstroke - a narrow, brilliant, hard edged focus.

Wait, is Total Justice the comic that Priest has a long essay about Paycheck Comics on his website about? :wink:

2 Likes

shrugs, Homer-style

All I know, is that Total Justice was a fun book that served as a spiffy commercial for the toys it was based on, while also being a fun read in and of itself for someone who just wants to read the title based on its own merits.

Paycheck comics aren’t a bad thing. Everyone needs money for their own comics, after all.

Oh, and to, you know, eat (except deviled eggs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

1 Like

I am a fan of Black Adam, so I will look into it, but the interview does not excite me. For one Kahndaq is in the Sinai. That is part of Asia, not Africa. 2, there is no clear Middle Eastern look. Africa is not a culture, it is hordes of insanely different cultures due to many factors including having some insanely different climates.

1 Like

I think it was! DigitalPriest.Com

I love Priest’s blog. It’s so snarky and intelligent. And passionate. (You should eat more devilled eggs!)

@MatthewHecht Interesting - I didn’t catch those things in the interview, will have to reread!

4 Likes

It was in the IGN post. I do not know if it is in the link above.

1 Like

says “Nevah!” with such stirring bravado that even the most tight-assed theater critic on the planet would stand up and applaud with fervent aplomb

Like I said before, you can eat your fill of those…things, and I won’t mind a bit. :superman_hv_4:

1 Like

No, I have found it here! Black Adam's New Comic Is a 'Radically Different' Overhaul of a DC Icon - IGN

I dunno. I guess I am that horrible thing, a Black Adam noob, who is just excited because of the ideas here. I can definitely see why the changes might annoy some. Priest did some similar changes when he started his Deathstroke, particularly to Rose, who changed races from half-Khmer to half-Hmong, as well as resurrecting and killing various members of Deathstroke’s family and supporting cast. I hope the quality of the book convinces fans! Including me! The only Black Adam content I’ve really read before this is 52.

3 Likes

I remember my first comic with him, the first of many.

2 Likes

Check out the Black Adam mini from 2007 in our library. It really :00_shazam: crackles :00_shazam:, and then some.

2 Likes

Oya? Who’s it by?

2 Likes

Peter Tomasi, with art by Doug Mahnke.

1 Like

That one is jumping right into a complex story with little exposition to explain it.
If you want a starting point this is it-

2 Likes

The Black Adam mini comes after 52, and if that’s what @millernumber1’s main exposure to Black Adam has been, he’d likely gel with that better than a team book that stars Black Adam among many other characters he may or may not be familiar with.

That said, JSA is always good reading, so its a good title to have on one’s “Black Adam and Black Adam-adjacent titles to read” list.

2 Likes

Such nice thoughts by all! I shall definitely keep it all in mind, though I think it’s most likely that I will start the new book in June, just as I started Deathstroke in June 2016.

Wow, that seems so long ago, but it’s just 6 years. And yet it also seems like yesterday.

3 Likes

I remember 2016 like it was 6 years ago.

Robin was only 7 then.

1 Like