Birds of Prey

So I just learned about this club. I have been reading Birds of Prey (1998) and am up to issue 95. I can honestly say about this series: wow!

I knew Dinah already from Green Arrow (1988), but I have not read very widely with DC so I was pretty much meeting Babs, Helena, and Zinda for the first time in the comics. I knew (and loved) Babs from DC SHG already, but this is a totally different side of her. I knew about Oracle from a few tie-ins here and there, but this was a much deeper dive into who she is.

What a wild ride! Really enjoying this series! I had originally planned on just reading Gail Simone’s run since she is one of my favorites, but then I thought for a second how silly it would be to just read a part of it when I could read it all! Whew, that was close. Almost missed out on some really good stuff there!

It was great to see Wonder Woman show up for an issue, bond a little, mentor a little, and then peace out, but I really like how this run just focuses on the Birds of Prey. Once when they were overwhelmed, a quick call to Clark and he shows up and knocks someone out and then flies away, but for the most part they are self-sufficient and we have the chance to get to know them. I prefer solo or small team books like this because I need a lot of characterization to really get into a story, and this team has so many fun characters that you slowly get to know over the issues. Lady Blackhawk has especially grown on me.

Anyway, just thought I would swing by and post a note. Imma head out now and finish the rest of the series. Guess I’m a Birds of Prey fan now! :00_birds_of_prey:

9 Likes

Hey there @SteveTrevor2.0! Thank you for stopping by and sharing! Hope you can join our club and continue your adventures with us! We’re not that deep into the main original series yet! But if you can and want, here’s our latest Series Read topic (with links to the previous ones):

Feel free to drop your thoughts there, and I’d also suggest clicking on the tag (Topics tagged birds-of-prey-club) to find the club’s other discussion threads, especially all the important Origins we’ve covered.

Welcome :hugs:

8 Likes

This is so awesome! This is exactly the kind of thing I hope to see and am so glad to see actually happening on a service like DCUI - marathon reading of amazing older series, especially my first beloved, Birds of Prey!

7 Likes

I had a strong feeling you would fall in love with this team when you mentioned you were starting from the beginning. This is the series I return to the most to remind myself of why I enjoy comics. It doesn’t matter if it is Dixon or Simone or Moore or anyone else writing. The characters are well defined no matter who is writing them and the stories are just plain fun.

7 Likes

Finished Gail Simone’s run. Loved it!

Have only read a couple of the issues after she left, but I am still really enjoying them. It’s funny how attached you get to the characters. That’s a sign of good writing.

8 Likes

I really like the McKeever run after Simone. The stuff after that by Bedard…wasn’t my taste. But there was some good stuff! Will be excited to hear what you think, too!

6 Likes

Hi, friends! Anybody have a song they’d like to add? :dancer:t2: :00_black_canary: Stop by here:

6 Likes
9 Likes

I personally would really prefer a Black Canary and Huntress streaming series similar to what happened with Peacemaker - but a film would be cool!

7 Likes

A series definitely leaves more room for story telling, so I like that idea, but like you, (and I’m assuming pretty much everyone in here :laughing:) I’d :100: not turn down a movie (or 5), either. We’re ready, DC! :popcorn: :00_black_canary: :00_huntress2: :00_batgirl1: We want all our ladies!

8 Likes

That’s good to hear – I think with the recent moves by the new Warner Bros Discovery, I was worried that any film that wasn’t already being filmed was on shakey ground in terms of being made.

What’s interesting is that Zaslov has said that he wants to have all the WB films come out in theaters, and we’ve already seen Blue Beetle go from an HBO Max exclusive to a theatrical release. I wonder if the same might happen with Black Canary?

7 Likes

I would hope so! And don’t forget we also have Batgirl. Like @Razzzcat says, We want all our ladies! Maybe they’ll eventually team up, who knows :woman_shrugging:

:00_birds_of_prey:

5 Likes

@BirdsofPrey Alert! :boom:

Come join us for this wonderful Pride Month spotlight this month!

It’s a mini-crossover with our great friends over at The Wonder Squadron, too! So stop by here, as well!

8 Likes

:angry: :unamused:

10 Likes

This is a huge bummer.

I’m super emotional and don’t want to say things I’ll regret but with all these recent decisions they’ve been making, it gets harder to support the Universe I love with all my heart.

9 Likes

It’s the Keaton Curse, I tell ya! Whenever he is supposed to Batman something happens.

9 Likes

I genuinely don’t understand this as a business decision. If it’s purely an HBO Max-related problem, is there a chance it could release on another platform? (I don’t understand this corporate stuff so that’s probably a dumb question.)

8 Likes

No such thing as dumb Q’s my friend. :smiley: Doesn’t seem like it’s purely an HBO Max problem. This is a full scrapping, after money was spent. Something else is afoot.

8 Likes

I feel for you all, though I personally have never been as invested in the movies as I am in the comics. But I send my hugs to you.

9 Likes

:hugs:

8 Likes