Birds of Prey & Harley’s Crew | Book Club 29 Crossover | Harley’s Coven

Happy October, everybody! :fallen_leaf:
For this month’s reading, we’ll be digging into a mixed bag of witchcraft & mysteryand some things that go bump in the night. :ghost:

🪄 We’re in good company, too: Zatanna, Circe, Wonder Woman, Xanadu, Elvira, AND! :tada: We’ve invited our friends from #birds-of-prey-club to join us! There are 2 sections for you to choose from, so grab your broomsticks (or crossbows and baseball bats), and let’s roll fly…

PART 1: Spotlights

Circe, Zatanna & Xanadu

:00_wonder_woman_gold: JLD: The Witching Hour 1-5

Complete Reading Order

:crystal_ball: Madame Xanadu 1-2

:tophat: Seven Soldiers: Zatanna 1-4

PART 2: Single Issues

🪄 This activity will be running all month long. Read one, read them all—the choice is yours!

We’ll take the first 2 weeks to read (10/4-10/17), then discuss during weeks 3 & 4 (10/18- 10/31): Did you enjoy them? Have you read them before? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything about the the reading you’d like to discuss. DON’T BE SHY— drop your thoughts below when you’re ready, and don’t forget :point_down: to check out the polls and profiles below. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

You can join or learn more about :harleys_crew: Harley’s Crew HERE or :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: Birds of Prey HERE.

11 Likes

:house_of_horror: Profile: Circe

:house_of_horror: Profile: Zatanna

:house_of_horror: Profile: Madame Xanadu

:00_dc_pride: Pride Profile: Madame Xanadu

:diamonds: Who would win: Circe, Elvira & Wonder Woman Vs. Zatanna, Xanadu & Harley?
(As always, please explain your answers in excruciating detail below.)

• Circe, Elvira & Wonder Woman
  • Zatanna, Xanadu & Harley
  • Nah. They’d all go out to dinner and start a coven instead.
  • Am I gonna learn any spells this month? :full_moon_with_face: I want to learn spells.
  • I’m not sure, but I already graduated from Hogwarts. I don’t need spells!
  • Doesn’t matter. It’s Halloween. :ghost: Ghosts and cats always win. :eyes:

0 voters

8 Likes

:diamonds: If you could choose only ONE magic ability, what would it be?

• Telepathy
  • Kinesis (list specific kind)
  • Transmutation
  • Immorality
  • Necromancy
  • Healing
  • Divination
  • I don’t know what these words mean! Can I just have all of them?
  • Other, I’ll add them below.

0 voters

:diamonds: True or False: These are all criminally underused witches.

• True
  • False
  • Not sure

0 voters

🪄 (Check out the profile links above, if you’re not sure.)

Ps. Can’t NOT drop this song for mood music. :dancer:t2: I’ll even post it 2 ways so you can choose:
:notes: Creamy… or :notes: Crunchy.

And, of course :purple_heart:

10 Likes

The glorious Harley’s Coven is here, everybunny! :hugs: :partying_face:

We have some nice treats planned for this October!

5 Likes

A while back I found this amazing in-depth history of witches in media, but now I can’t find the third part of this series:

5 Likes

I voted for Circe, Elvira and Wonder Woman because they’re all badass, in one way or another (plus, my mom knew Cassandra Peterson, aka Elvira).

Lasly, I want to learn spells. I really want to. Why? Reasons. :smiling_imp:

Pretty slick reading. I’ll probably re-read Seven Soldiers: Zatanna as I love Seven Soldiers. Its a Grant Morrison masterwork, and then some.

SN: Look, upcoming Elvira toys (paging @D4RK5TARZ)!

These :point_down:t2: should be out soon-ish.

This was recently announced, and comes out next year:

8 Likes

bc696654c84dcb039a790cf2cd480d36
I Wouldn’t want to meet this wicked Witch!:fearful:

6 Likes

Ah, pish-tosh, she’s just smoke and hot air.

Just drop kick a bucket of water on her, then when she’s dead as disco, dance on her moist dress while singing :notes: “Ding-dong, the witch is dead! Which 'ol witch? The wicked witch!”. :notes: in a hearty, Rodgers and Hammerstein-esque fashion.

Word has it that the munchkins partied like no other once they heard the witch was dead.

4 Likes

One of the things I hope peeps take away from this month’s activities (and the videos I posted) is that witches are not evil. Or are not supposed to be. They should be rehabilitated by the public at large, in my view, and admired as champions of eco-feminism.

6 Likes

_HFvdY
It’s official, she’s dead Thanks to @Vroom
munchkin-wizard-of-oz
Now the Munchkins will be thanking you with a lifetime of big lollipop for killing the wicked witch! :grin:
(Adding a Bust of @Vroom in a Hall Of Fame)
:roll_eyes: Think they’re over doing a hero thankyou a bit. LOL!

4 Likes

Hey, free candy! Bad-ass! :yum:

I’m just throwing it out there: A rave in Munchkinland (or whatever its called) to celebrate the death of the witch.

Anyone? Bueller?

really wants to go to a rave, if those are even still a thing

4 Likes

Oh, I know. I’ve long held to the idea that witches are unfairly demonized, when in fact they’re actually pretty cool, in most respects.

I knew a couple Wiccans in high school. They were fun people, and really opened my eyes to what that whole lifestyle was like.

6 Likes

Looking forward to reading these – especially Seven Soldiers: Zatanna! It’s been ages since I read that one. I’m kind of tempted to try and read the entire series as well.

6 Likes

You know, I’m tempted to do that too, but so far at least, I’m resisting the pull of that his eyes begin to glaze over as he thinks more and more about Seven Soldiers…sweet…ever so sweet…tempta-

is nearly pulled in by temptation, but pulls himself from the brink

Ha! I’m not giving into temptation. Not today, at least. :wink:

resumes his re-read of SSZ #1

4 Likes

Maybe she just needs a hug, @Spider-Man78. BUT Willow and Hermione said they’ll protect you if Zee and Xanadu are busy. :green_heart:

hermione-granger-wand

Yes! :raised_hands:

You know who I’m bringing into this later. :full_moon_with_face: :rose:

I concur! :face_with_monocle:

Ps. I added a new POLL! :point_up_2:

9 Likes

If Ms. Hannigan has time…I could do with a visit from her. Just…FYI.

goes to examine the new poll, completely managing to keep a straight face while typing that sentence

I’ll take “transmutation”. I’m a curious guy, so I’d like to fiddle around and see what I could transform from one thing to another.

5 Likes

Excellent choice! And I’m proud of you for [edit] keeping a straight face! :raised_hands:

I went with healing. It’s a nice power, and I also figure it can technically grant me invulnerable to an extent. Plus who know what I could learn to grow by healing thins?!

8 Likes

See, if you’re driving around, and something that one day was one thing, and is now another, that uh, that wasn’t me fiddling around with my transmutation powers.

Noooope.

rocks back and forth on his heels, hands in his pockets, while whistling nonchalantly

What? I…I didn’t change that empty mall into a candy factory that anyone can eat their fill from at all hours of the day and for free, while also maintaining that the candy will never put a single pound onto anyone that eats it. Nope, not this guy.

tosses candy wrappers from his pockets into the trash as Razzz turns away

Well, of course. I mean, let’s be honest: Do I really strike you as the type who would make a crack about polls? C’mon, I’m an adult who plays with action figures and reads comic books. I’m the very model of maturity.

SSZ #1 mention: I think whenever I make a mistake and say “oops”, that I’m now going to say “spoo”, instead. It just sounds more fun!

4 Likes

:green_heart:

3 Likes

Genuinely just added Justice League Dark to my reading list this past week. I had already read Witching Hour awhile ago, but I was going to be rereading it anyway! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I will also check out the Harley’s Little Black Book issue with Zatanna. I have read the WW one and enjoyed it.

I admit I’m not super knowledgeable on this subject - but I think 2 of my favorite people, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott, are trying to be part of the solution with Black Magick. :blush:

5 Likes