Birds of Prey & Harley’s Crew | Book Club 29 Crossover | Harley’s Coven

Can my third fave super join the party? This is def her fave time of the year as well. :smiley: :00_teen_titans: :0_raven:

8 Likes

Those are the 2 best issues, imo. :diamonds:

:raised_hands: I was happy to see them working together again on that one, for sure.

We only take first and second place, miss. :stuck_out_tongue: No, lol, jkjk but we’re mainly focussing on JLD characters (made some stuff​:point_up_2: w/ HOH for things and stuff later :zipper_mouth_face:), and Wonder Woman since it’s her 80th B-Day! :tada: :00_wonder_woman_gold: :purple_heart: This coven takes all, tho. You know that. :hugs: :harleys_crew:

10 Likes

I’m toootally reading Young Monsters in Love first , just FYI, everybody. Love this: :bat: I’m here for you, Kirk! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And then straight to these two…

8 Likes

:laughing:

Yay! :hugs: :harleys_crew:

5 Likes

good

4 Likes

Though when you think about it, Raven absolutely deserves a place in Justice League Dark.

6 Likes

I reread “Witching Hour” this week. Last time I read it as part of the Wonder Woman current series continuity - but I’ve read a whole lotta stuff between then and now, so I definitely forgot a lot. :open_book:

I also think I had better context overall since I started at the beginning of Justice League Dark this time. Prior to reading this the first time, I knew none of these characters other than Zatanna and Constantine (and really only them from Bombshells).

Witching Hour thoughts

Anyhow! I enjoyed this, other than having a hard time watching bad stuff happen to/be caused by my girl Diana. I’d forgotten somehow that we’d be seeing Circe, which is of course always fun.

I also had forgotten that Hecate was the big bad. (Yeah I basically remembered nothing about this story lol.) But anyway, I’ve recently become obsessed with Lore Olympus and Hecate is one of my favorite characters in that comic. Although obviously she’s quite a bit more fun in that world. :blush:

SN: This goes beyond the club reading, but I kept going with Justice League Dark. I’m hoping to finish it, but I’m pretty easily disturbed, and issue 7 was honestly the most creeped out I’ve ever been by a comic:

Justice League Dark (2018-) #7

Obviously take that with a grain of salt because I really do have an incredibly low threshold for scary stuff. :sweat_smile: But just thought I’d mention it to any interested since it is almost Halloween. :scream:

6 Likes

So here’s what I’ve finished so far:

Madame Xanadu #1-2

I was interested in this one because it’s a character I haven’t read a lot of in the past, at least not in this way. When I’ve read her in the past, it was mostly in books like Justice League Dark. So I was curious to see her origin.

And here…it’s okay, but I feel like we didn’t really get enough. I don’t think I really got a bead of what her life was like before things went to hell, and I was never really sure of who or what she was. Was she some sort of fairy, or magical creature, or was she a witch? How old is she? Because from the art I thought she was like 13-16, so when they talked about her being with Merlin I was like WTF?!

And I guess her sister is Morgan Le Frey? Is that new? I vaguely know her from the Justice League animated series, but if I didn’t have that knowledge I would have no context as to why she wanted to take down Camelot.

I get the feeling that this was a series that was meant to be for people who have read a lot of Madame Xanadu in the past and have an idea of her origins already, and this is just compiling it all together in one form. Or maybe it just wasn’t what I was expected? I dunno. I’ve read a bit of this book a while back for DCU Book Club, so I know it’s good, but I don’t know, this was just a rocky start for me.

Seven Soldiers: Zatanna #1-4

I was talking about before whether I wanted to read this on it’s own or reread all of Seven Soldiers to put it all together, but I decided to read it on it’s own. For one thing, I already got a lot of stuff between book clubs and just my own interests to read as is, and I was curious to see how well it reads on it’s own.

So I can say it reads pretty well on its own…at first. The first two issues are pretty stand-alone, with Zee and her new “apprentice” taking on a shapeless demon that I guess is the man of her dreams? It’s a pretty fun story, I really enjoyed how the first issue especially played around with the panels and three-dimensional space in a way Grant is a master of.

The second half is where things get a little…dicy on how standalone it is. Stuff like the talking horse and the Sheeda may not make sense if you haven’t been reading the other books, especially the Shining Knight series. I’m not sure if the stuff with Zor is also in those other books or if I missed something in the Zatanna series.

It’s still some fun comics, don’t get me wrong. I loved Zee’s characterization and power in this series, and Ryan Sook did some AMAZING art.

6 Likes

I thought I might have read it for a book club at one point and I did, here’s my thoughts for Young Monsters in Love when I read it for House of Horror:

5 Likes