Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks 7-9 | SPOTLIGHT | Batgirl: Year One 1-9

Whoops, I read this but forgot to post.

I liked this series. It was a fun look at Babs becoming Batgirl. I like the nods to Oracle throughout the series. Overall, it was just fun. I had more thoughts on this but I’m blanking on them now. I’ll come back and add more when I think of it.

3 Likes

It’s funny, while I wasn’t too into this story when I first read it, I found myself liking it a little more now when rereading it.

I think the biggest detractor of the book is the length – while there isn’t really a huge, complicated plot and is more character focused, I’m not entirely sure if there are nine issues worth of material here. They could have probably trimmed it down to the standard six and not lost much.

Barbara comes off fairly well here. It was cool to see Barbara grow more bold and confident in her abilities, going from dinging thugs heads with canned veggies at the corner store to using her tools to stop a helicopter of supervillains. Her interactions with Robin were also fun – kind of wish there was a bit more with Batman, but I like that they tried to maintain the bronze age version of her being more of a hands off free agent who took advice from them but largely did her own thing.

The issue with Black Canary was also fun, though it kind of messed up the timeline I had in my head with them at first. Maybe it’s me, but I always thought Barbara and Dinah were about the same age, give or take, so it was weird to have Dinah be this seasoned crime fighter while Babs is still learning the ropes. I guess that’s just the difference between being born into the life. Nepotism for the win! :stuck_out_tongue:

I also liked the villains here. They did try to make Killer Moth a more complex character, someone with big supervillain dreams but unable to make them, and seeing how it twists him up to be uglier and uglier. I think Firefly, while probably unnecessary, did a good job adding some extra drama, making even Killer Moth unsure of his actions.

Also, Marcos Martin’s art in this series is so good, seriously the best of the bat family Year One entries. It’s just a shame he never did more Batman/DC work and most of his modern work is religated to (IMO) awful Spider-Man stories.

So…yeah, sorry if this word vomit makes sense, typing without coffee is always a risky proposition! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t remember if I was a member of the BoP club when we did this, but I love this story dearly, largely because it’s a really great combination of art and writing. The art is so clean and evocative, rich, detailed without being busy, composed with simplicity without being lazy or overly minimal. The writing uses all the tools - foreshadowing (perhaps a bit heavy handed, but since it’s trying to setup a narrative for Oracle, which I love, I’m on board with it), character exploration, and a solid problem for the main character to solve. And I adore the fact that DC released Batgirl, Robin, and Nightwing Year One all in the Deluxe format the match each other beautifully!

3 Likes