Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks 5-6 | TEAM UP | Catwoman & Oracle / Suicide Squad / Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey

I’ll start this one w/ my favorite panel of the week:

(Everything happening on pgs 8-12, issue 48, actually :100:)
Suicide Squad: I’ve read these issues several different times. I’d say I t’s a good series a cross the board, but for BG, a lot was hanging in the balance at the time. We have trauma we can’t/shouldn’t ignore (because it’s honest) and a villain we can’t let WIN, so How does she carry on? Here we get the proverbial ‘phoenix rising from the ashes’ :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: and I love this new, grittier identity. She isn’t the only character to suffer or be tortured, but it makes me wonder what would’ve come of BG (and those events) had Ostrander (SS) & Yale (Manhunter) not given her this story?

They approach things w/ some sensitivity here, but it’s all condensed, so they also ended up, perhaps, helping to cement TKJ in history and I’m very torn about that…But I’ll save that rant for another time :wink: prbly later this week! and just end by saying:

BG should be commanding a small army of her own. Its who she’s meant to be, imo. She’s a Gordon, not a Wayne. :purple_heart: This run (and Manhunter) sets her fully on that path, and I approve.

Also, Waller. I’ve rarely liked her character design, and this is one I don’t like, but I always like her on some level, no matter what. I can’t help myself! These issues are likely why. The VR scene was great.

[edit] Because I call it this too and freaked out a little when I was typing up the thread!! :speak_no_evil: Begs for forgiveness.

3 Likes