Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 35–38| SPOTLIGHT: Black Canary | Kicking & Screaming 4-7/Brave & The Bold 107/Wonder Woman 34-35

On BC #4-7

I liked most of these issues. I think Bo was an interesting antagonist, someone who was clearly misguided and wrong, but I liked how she and Ditto somehow formed a bond and that she found a way to be of help in the end.

The stuff with the “White Canary” was also very intriguing, though I think I had a sneaking suspicion of who it was back then and it turned out to be on the money.

The only mark I have against these issues is the massive scale creep that happens in #7. Like, there have been a couple hints dropped here and there, but I feel like it wasn’t enough to warrant the sudden “save the universe through song” finale, and the stuff with old Kurt and his mechanizations just didn’t make too much sense. I think it would have worked better if they kept it a bit more grounded (like the Quitus were focused solely on taking Ditto), or if they had set the Quitus up way earlier.

4 Likes

As for the YA books, I have a habit of picking these up when they’re on deep sale at comixology and reading some but not all. A lot of them tend to have the same sort of plot or something close to it, but still enjoyable in execution. The ones I’ve read so far I’ve enjoyed, which are:

Green Lantern: Legacy
Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
Mera: Tidebreaker
Shadow of the Batgirl
Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale

In fact, looking at the amount of these that I’ve bought and HAVEN’T read is kind of shaming me to read some now. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@Jay_Kay Have you read Unearthed: A Jessica Cruz Story yet?

I’m a couple chapters in, and enjoying it decently, thus far.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

I have received a response last night from Alexandra Monir!

It appears that my poster got lost in the mail but she is sending a new one!!!

4 Likes

Not yet, but I want to! Like I said, I usually get these books on Comixology when they’re on sale. Like the last time they had a big sale, I snagged a couple of those guys up when they were just under two bucks. Like, considering there are 20-page comics I’ve bought digitally for more, that’s practically a steal, how could I NOT?

Also, since posting that, I read Batman: Nightwalker, which was also pretty good – it’s like this weird YA Silence of the Lambs thing with a young Bruce Wayne having to do probation at Arkham Asylum and getting tied in with a mysterious young girl that’s part of this cult. It’s pretty solid stuff.

4 Likes

By the way, the statue that Diana sees of herself in Japan I’m like 95% sure is a reference to the Ame-Comi line that DC did a while back. She had a couple of different costumes in that line:

There was also a digital first comic series based on the world ala DC Bombshells. It was noteworthy (for me) because the first issues, which focused on Diana’s origins, was drawn by Amanda Conner.

I’ve read a little bit of these a while back – it’s not as good as the DC Bombshells series, but it’s pretty decent.

3 Likes

Good call on the Ame-Comi stuff.

I never bought the statues (or the mini-statues) but I dug the comic series based on them quite a bit.

2 Likes

Brave & The Bold #107:

In typical Bob Haney fashion, this started one way and went some completely different directions. While I rolled my eyes initially about Black Canary coming in to be disguised as a stewardess, she in the end came off as rather smart, resourceful and a solid fighter. I think my “issue” with the book is that the villains were pretty one-note and boring.

3 Likes

I think you’re absolutely right on this, @Jay_Kay! I read that series awhile back (it’s all here on DCUI)…it was okay, but from a story/writing perspective I thought Bombshells was far superior.

I do not love it when Diana is objectified, but you included the exact panel I was thinking of where she at least protests about the outfit.

What I remember most about the series is that I loved Cheetah’s design:

3 Likes

I have to believe that whoever designed the Ame-Comi Cheetah was a fan of the Outlaw Star anime series, as she shares a remarkable resemblance to the character Aisha Clan-Clan.

As an Outlaw Star fan myself, this naturally made me happy when I first read Ame-Comi Girls.

3 Likes