Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 31–34 | TEAM | Series Read, Pt 2: Birds of Prey 12-21/Nightwing 45-46

Hey, everyone! For this round of Team Ups, we’ve got 2 more stories lined up from our Birds of Prey series read, complete with a crossover!

All sorts of guests, both friend and foe, a trip to Apokolips, and a nuclear threat await—THEN! The Hunt for Oracle! :00_black_canary: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :catwoman_hv_5: Let’s do this thing…

PART TWO: Birds of Prey (1999) & Nightwing (1996)

Reading order:

• Birds of Prey 12-19
  • Nightwing 45
  • Birds of Prey 20
  • Nightwing 46
  • Birds of Prey 21

This activity will be running ALL month long! :books:

We’ll take the first two weeks (8/2-8/15) to read, then discuss during weeks 3 & 4 (8/16-8/29). Did you enjoy them? Have you read them before? What did you think of the dialogue or artwork? Anything about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE

11 Likes

:books: Some supplemental reading:

ADVISORY POLL: Based on our recent reading activities.

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: Who would you like to do a background check on see spotlighted next month?

• Catwoman
  • The Furies
  • Power Girl
  • The world needs more Canary!
  • Always, always: More Babs.
  • Other, :face_with_monocle: I’ll list it below!

0 voters

5 Likes

MBG

There can never be enough of my gurrrlll. :smiley: :purple_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart: :00_batgirl: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1:

(substitute the word her for him and she for he here when Dave G. rocks this classic)

4 Likes

I gotta say, the poll is kinda tough for me on this one! So many great options. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, some truly amazing BoP issues we’re reading this month!

5 Likes

I got excited because I thought this was a new video :sob:

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay lol, yeah, sorry! :purple_heart: One of the characters is due for her spotlight, but figured I’d open it up on an advisory for the second slot, since I feel the same way.

Also :wave: Hey @millernumber1! Glad to see you back! Can’t wait to read your thoughts on this round!

4 Likes

BGCycle

My gurrrll’s looking super fiece on the BGcycle! :+1: :00_batgirl: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1:

3 Likes

Alrighty, I have a question…how come Dinah uses those little “canary cry” devices instead of her actual voice like I’ve seen in other stories? Just curious, feel like I probably missed some backstory somewhere.

On an unrelated note, I continue to love the humorous taglines on the covers of this series:

5 Likes

For the first several years of Birds of Prey, Dinah’s status quo was that her injuries from The Longbow Hunters caused her to lose the cry.

5 Likes

Gotcha, thanks! I’ll have to look up that story.

5 Likes

This was an interesting read. I have to say it bothers me some that Oracle keeps getting fooled. She should be better than that.

5 Likes

I was having this same thought while reading these issues, @scoop001. I can accept it once, but now it’s starting to feel like a lazy plot device to keep getting the BoP into trouble.

Having said that, I still love our leading ladies and look forward to seeing what happens next!

5 Likes

Agree, but I know we have to roll w/ certain things that defy logic sometimes—we don’t have to like it, of course, lol! Still enjoy spending time w/ these characters, no matter what.

SN: Everyone’s got a preference, but I enjoy the series a bit more once Gail Simone takes over.

I behind on my reread, but I’m gonna go try to catch up now! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

True. As someone whose second-favorite comic character has died and been brought back in a myriad of increasingly ludicrous ways…I am okay with suspending my disbelief in the name of entertainment. :sweat_smile:

And I do love these girls. Happy to keep up with their adventures. :blush:

I’m looking forward to this! I’ve liked everything by Gail Simone that I’ve read so far (midway through her Wonder Woman run now).

In reference to these specific BoP issues, a new highlight for me that I never expected while reading comics: a squeeing capybara. :joy:

7 Likes

Poor Steve. They’re not very good to him, are they? :broken_heart: Ludicrous—you can say that again, lol!

What sometimes helps me in those moments is looking at Chris Pine… :full_moon_with_face:

One more!

Yes you are, Steve/Christopher.

I definitely enjoyed her Wonder Woman. She’s never disappointed, so I’m sure you’ll like her Birds. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Ps.

Have you met Kelex yet, @Angel212? :eyes:
Definitely talk to Kelex in DM (there’s community tutorials), but if you like capybara- Do it, for sure. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I approve this coping mechanism. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I did this tutorial when I first joined! I forgot about the capybara. This must be why I love Kelex so much. :joy:

5 Likes

It works!:purple_heart:

Also… Kelex is fun to hassle :laughing:

@Kelex wisdom

6 Likes