Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 22-26 | Pride Spotlight: Batwoman & Renee Montoya

I’d love to! It stands out as one of the most interesting Renee/Question stories I’ve read. Her goal is to know her enemy, but it complicates her own morality. Very apt for the Question to be pushed to maybe go a little too far in seeking answers.

Also, it has some interesting connections to the Lois Lane: Enemy of the People series! Namely Elicia, and Renee’s very precise knowledge of the contents of the Crime Bible. I read the Lois Lane series first (awhile ago) and so had no idea what those events referred to when I first read it.

3 Likes

I just finished reading the first 32 issues of Bombshells United. I love the vintage outfits, time period, and the cheesy one-liners! It was nice to see a lot of underrated female characters in the series.

Also it was thrilling binge reading Batwoman from Elegy to Rebirth. I liked seeing Kate Kane as a fleshed out and relatable protagonist. I would like to see another Batwoman series come out in the future.

5 Likes

I love Bombshells! Have you read the first series? It’s really long but it’s got some good stuff in there. The first 2-3 volumes stand out in my mind as particularly entertaining. It’s definitely a great series for LGBTQ+ representation. And the art style is amazing throughout.

4 Likes

So I finished “Fall of the House of Kane” and just about to start on the last issue. It’s an interesting end, though I don’t know how I feel with how Kate and Bruce interact. I guess you could say that the stuff that was going on in Detective Comics was a big factor of why they’re so tense at the moment, but I don’t know, the whole Batwoman vs. Batman thing felt like a forced conflict to me.

3 Likes

If there’s any music fans here, who might feel inspired to add a song for Kate—stop by :point_down: here this week! :00_batwoman: :black_heart: :notes:

5 Likes

I actually haven’t read the first series of DC Bombshells but I will put it on my readlist!

4 Likes

Before I forget (again): I had no real expectations for Crimes of Passion, but I enjoyed it over all. Nice change of pace having a collection of stories. Loved this entire page for obvious reasons :star_struck: :catwoman_hv_2:

Didn’t know I’d get to spend some more time w/ Canary after Black Island either, so that was fun. Anyone else read it?

And here’s a thing I found on Maggie…

5 Likes

That page is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :0_catwoman:

3 Likes

Selina is just amazing to watch when she gets her stealth on. Super smart, super sleek, and super silent. :0_catwoman: :catwoman_hv_2: :cobb_squad: :harleys_crew:

3 Likes

Agree. It should just be a RULE that every Selina comic apprearance should include multiple pages like this of progressive shots to feel her elegance and fluidity…and sneakiness. :catwoman_hv_2: :black_heart:

You’re very welcome @Shayera.Hol! :hugs: Thanx for coming by!

5 Likes

Agreed Queen @Razzzcat. Every story should def contain at least one Selina in supreme stealth mode. It’s like Selina’s probably the only person in the DCU who’s not afraid to lock her keys inside of her apartment 'cuz she knows that’s not a probem for her. I guess Zatanna would be the other person not scared to lose her keys. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

:joy: Its funny because it’s true.

2 Likes

:laughing: :catwoman_hv_2:

2 Likes

Anybody watch yet? Beware. #spoilers

2 Likes

I still need to try the second season, honestly. I dunno, I was kinda “eh” on the first season in general, but the way they decided to change characters because of Ruby Rose leaving just completely killed my interest in the show. Especially so when they would later just…recast Kate with a new actress that was just a marked improvement in every way for what was apparently a couple of episodes and just…leaves.

I dunno, it just feels like the showrunners are trying to make it as hard for themselves as humanly possible and trying to cancel the show.

3 Likes

I have finally sat down to read Crime Bible! I was sort of confused as this spun out of Countdown and that was actually when I started to get out of comics in that era. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy this story. It was great seeing Cain, the keeper of House of Mystery, as the big bad as The Question tracks down the Crime Bible. Each issue had a little something for everyone, at least in regards to fans of Renee and The Question. Some nice cameos from Hub City and Gotham City as well as some nice moral dilemmas for Renee.

I have no idea why this book sat on my shelf for so long but I am happy I finally read it.

4 Likes

Crimes of Passion is in my stack of books that I have bought that I haven’t read…yet. That stack did shrink a lot over the past few weeks but not to a level I am happy with.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay Same! I haven’t caught up yet, but so far I’m liking the 2nd season a lot more, tbh.

I have no idea what the long term goal is w/ Kate, but I like Ryan—she’s relatable…better actor & scene partner too, so the show seems to have improved overall. Alice is still the best character. Rachel Skarsten clearly loves playing the villain, and she’s good at it (gave her a good arc this season too).
No matter what, I vote they should bring Spoiler back, and of course, shocking NO ONE: The world needs more Ivy! :green_heart: :0_poison_ivy_tas:

3 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ That ones been sitting in my list for a while, so I’m glad I could remove it, but I haven’t made a lot of progress on my stack either. I add more than I remove, :laughing: so I think I may need to institute a ban until I make a dent. :purple_heart:

4 Likes

I have the day off and have been organizing all of my comics from bundles. I would just copy the files to a hard drive and then leave them in my download folder. My hard drive was a mess!! After more than 6 months today was the day to sit down and do this. I was planning on spending the day reading comic. Instead, organizing and watching Batwoman.

5 Likes