Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 22-26 | Pride Spotlight: Batwoman & Renee Montoya

@Jay_Kay YES. Totally agree about Bruce too. It’s always weird when he says common phrases. There’s something reserved and gentlemanly about him that gets lost and…nah. :neutral_face: Don’t like it.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s easily the strongest part of the entire arc.

6 Likes

adds the Maggie Sawyer stuff to his list

I haven’t read the Crimes of Passion book, so that’ll be new for me.

4 Likes

Is Final Crisis the bigger story? Or is there something else I missed? I’m kind of finding out that to read one comic is to fall into a never-ending wormhole of interconnected comics. @_@

I mean I was a few pages in and already getting this classic line from Renee, so yeah, enjoying it so far. :joy:

Absolutely! Great point. Everything I’ve read with Kate in it so far shows her to be a very well-rounded character.

Thank you! :grin:

4 Likes

lol! Definitely @angel212! That’s often the case- and some people like to read everything (I’m not that person) It’s not always necessary, but thats just one humble opinion. :nerd_face: Anyway. Here’s this

Ps.

:joy: Gotta love it. How can you not, right?? Revelations was on the table for the month for a hot min, so this definitely an ironic conversation. I’ll let you know when that list is ready! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s…uh…awkward in retrospect. Then again, Batman’s a jerk, so…

3 Likes

Thank you for the link! I am generally in agreement with you. I like to know what’s going on overall but I’ve jumped into a lot of Justice League stories without having read every preceding arc and found them very enjoyable anyway.

I’ve just read the main Final Crisis series and now Revelations…I think I’m good to stop there for now. A little Darkseid goes a long way. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this lately, and I can’t help but wonder what origin she’ll have in another…five, ten years. Because Don’t Ask Don’t Tell ended…ten years ago now. Sooner or later, probably sooner, we’re going to get to a point where in terms of sliding comic book timelines, she’s going to be too young to have been effected by that military code.

It kind of reminds me of a similar issue that The Punisher has had over his publishing career, where he started out as a Vietnam veteran, and then over the years it changed into Desert Storm, and now I think he’s an Iraq War vet. I guess one silver lining to almost two decades of the War on Terror is that Frank can stick with that origin for a LONG time.

5 Likes

Either that, or we’ll learn that she was frozen for an indeterminate amount of time. :wink:

5 Likes

They kind of addressed this in the TV adaptation, where the private military academy she was at still had a homophobic “code of conduct” that she was violating, despite being two years post-DADT. Comics can always play fast and loose with where our history differs from the DCU history, but touchstones like DADT will become more foreign to new readers as it ages. Comic writers can find a way, like when they want to keep a character’s origins tied to WWII or the 60s civil rights movements, but with Kate I don’t think it will be as important to keep her tied to DADT. There’s plenty of ways to have her turn away from the military - they can shift it from being about her sexuality to just having a relationship within her unit or something along those lines, or shift the story completely to being blacklisted for exposing a senior officer’s criminal behavior or something like that.

5 Likes

:point_up_2: Factual fact @Angel212! lol

3 Likes

Okay, after having to read some of the stuff before it to get the full experience I’m getting into “The Fall of the House of Kane” and man. Someone releasing a dangerous virus with the carrier being a bat hits way different nowadays.

Oh, and the Gotham Underground issue was…okay. Honestly, in terms of Renee content there isn’t much, she just has a cool splash page, which is a little disappointing. But the whole premise of villains being disappeared by the Suicide Squad is kind of interesting, even if it leads to stuff that I know is massively mediocre (Countdown and Salvation Run). I might go ahead and finish the series, but it’s probably lower on the list.

4 Likes

Just throwing this out there for you guys, the WOB was covering the Batwoman arc “World’s Finest” from her first solo ongoing. I just posted my thoughts on this arc and…I’m curious to see what you guys think. Am I alone or crazy for this? Let me know.

5 Likes

lol, This is why I like @Jay_Kay reviews! :star:

Ps. I love this cover:

5 Likes

Very 1950s lesbian pulp!

5 Likes

I always like it when the artist finds a way for us to interpret Renee’s face even when she is “faceless.” This cover is very expressive, if that makes sense. (It makes sense in my head, but I think I’m failing at writing it lol).

5 Likes

No, that makes PERFECT sense. It’s telling a story w/ minimal tools, and I just love it to little bits. :star_struck: All the covers are pretty great, but this one has a lot to say (to me anyway :laughing:)

Anyway. Hey @Angel212! :wave: Did you get a chance to read anything else?

5 Likes

Hi @Razzzcat! I have not read much else yet. I did read part of the Batwoman selection above. Happy to take any recommendations into consideration! Are you reading Crime Bible right now?

4 Likes

Feel free to drop your thoughts if you’re ready now. We set a loose schedule, so however it works best for you—go for it!

As for rereads: :sweat_smile: I’m behind as always, lol. I like to brush up as best I can, but it doesn’t always work out. Do you want to talk Crime Bible? :eyes:

4 Likes

I absolutely love the Crime Bible. Rare Whisper A ‘Daire appearance to boot. I read it in a reading order I’ll never read it any other way again. So good!!!

5 Likes