Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 22-26 | Pride Spotlight: Batwoman & Renee Montoya

Hi everyone! It’s June, and in order to celebrate :00_dc_pride: Pride month, we’ve got a special batch of books for you to check out, featuring two esteemed and vigilant citizens of Gotham: Kate Kane & Renee Montoya!

:boom: FREE COMIC: Bombshells United #25! :boom:

:00_batwoman: Go

Detective Comics 858-860

:00_batwoman: The Fall of the House of Kane

Batwoman 13-18

:00_black_canary: :bat: Bonus reading: The Black Island

Bombshells United 25-32

:policewoman:t4: Renee Montoya (single issues)

Detective Comics, Gotham Underground & more

:policewoman:t4: Gotham Central: Half a Life

Gotham Central 6-10

:policewoman:t4: Crime Bible: The Five Lessons of Blood

Crime Bible 1-5

:00_dc_pride: BONUS SPOTLIGHT: Maggie Sawyer

:00_dc_pride: This activity will be running ALL month long! Read one—read them all—the choice is yours! :books:

We’ll take the first three weeks (6/1-6/20) to read, then discuss during weeks 4 & 5 (6/21-7/4). Which was your favorite? Have you read them before? What did you think of the artwork? Are you familiar w/ these creators? Anything about the reading or material provided you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE, and welcome to the Birds Nest!

14 Likes

Get to know the creators and characters!

Pride_Profile_Batwoman
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Batwoman.

Summary

The revamped Kate Kane went from inception to icon in an instant. Introduced in 52 #7, Batwoman headlined Detective Comics before getting her own eponymous series. Whether it’s the striking costume and crimson hair, her history as a military brat and the heir to a fortune, her refusal to lie about her sexuality to stay in the West Point, her connections to DC stalwarts Sawyer and Montoya, or her general butt kicking awesomeness, fans from across the DCU quickly connected with Kate. Although she’s willing to work with her cousin Bruce Wayne, this is no purse toting ‘lady’ Batman willing to take a backseat to anyone. And, where Batman’s focus on his mission can strain even his closest relationships, Kate has shown a more nurturing supportive leadership style that strengthens her ties to her allies. Detective Comic’s Elegy arc by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III starring Batwoman is a masterpiece of story and art that not only helped cement her place in DC history, but introduced one of the greatest villains in decades.

In DC’s Bombshells, Kate is in a league of her own as one of that universe’s favorite characters. Television’s Batwoman debuted in the Arrowverse crossover ‘Elseworlds’ before going on to star in her own show.

The great irony is that the original Batwoman, Kathy Kane, was created in part to dispel any notion that Batman was gay. Decades later, Kate would become the most famous lesbian superhero of all.

DC Bombshells comics were based on a line of figures.

Pride_Profile_Renee_Montoya
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Renee Montoya.

Summary

Everyone’s favorite GCPD detective is another character developed for animated television, but that first appeared in print. While she started as Gordon’s assistant in Batman #475 and as Harvey Bullock’s partner after Batman: The Animated Series episode ‘Pretty Poison,’ the character gained depth and fan recognition with her defining role in Greg Rucka’s Gotham Central. In that seminal series, Renee battled alcoholism, loved and lost her share of women, and fought corruption and crime. Montoya’s profile grew further as one of the pillars of the 52 weekly series where she reluctantly accepted the mantel as the new Question. Renee has also figured into the story of Kate Kane with a brief romantic relationship when they were younger that was rekindled when Batwoman arrived in Gotham. Her latest star turn in Lois Lane proves the character can shift seamlessly between hard boiled detective and superhero roles.

In addition to animation and comics, Renne has appeared in the television’s Gotham and on the big screen in Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey.

Renee’s original animated look

Pride_Profile_Maggie Sawyer
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Maggie Sawyer.

Summary

Most people would not see a transfer from Metropolis PD’s Special Crimes Unit to Gotham City PD as a desirable move. But, most people aren’t police Captain Maggie Sawyer. Introduced in Superman vol. 2 #4 by John Byrne, Maggie has never apologized for being a tough, hard charging cop. And after her marriage fell apart, she never apologized for being a lesbian either.

In 2002, Maggie would go from Metropolis to Gotham, becoming Captain of the police squad and one of the leads in the ensemble cast of the Gotham Central series by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka. Rucka would later bring her back in his 2009 run of Detective Comics as a prospective love interest for series lead Kate Kane/Batwoman, a romance that would continue into Kate’s Batwoman solo series by J.H. Williams III & William H. Blackman that launched during the New 52 in 2011. During the run, Kate would propose to Maggie to marry her, which Maggie accepted, a first for lesbian women in comics. However, due to editorial mandates, the plans for marriage were scrapped and the couple was broken up under a new creative team.

Sawyer has also been in numerous other media, including the TV series Supergirl and the 1997 Superman: The Animated Series. Her animated appearance is notable in that in the two-part episode “Apocalyps…Now!”, when she is injured, she is recovering with an unnamed woman sitting by her side, in what the series producers has said was the closest they could get away with addressing her sexuality in the cartoon. This same stricture of avoiding explicitly portraying her sexuality original also applied to the comics as gay representation was forbidden by the Comics Code Authority from 1954 to 1989.

EEUXM_EU4AA_QFV

Superman Debut

Pride_Profile_Marc Andreyko
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Marc Andreyko.

Summary

In 2004, DC Comics relaunched Manhunter with a new hero and a writer that would prove capable of creating complex, entertaining, modern comic book super hero stories. If Marc Andreyko had stopped with creating Kate Spencer and an openly gay relationship for Obsidian he would have done enough to earn his spot in DC History as a prominent gay writer. But, he wasn’t done. He would go on to helm titles staring Batwoman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman as well as organizing DC and IDW Comics celebration of the LGBTQ community Love is Love.

Manhunter

Pride_Profile_Marguerite Bennett
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Marguerite Bennet.

Summary

This GLAAD nominated self-identified queer writer has been a dynamo at DC Comics and beyond. Starting with co-authoring a Batman Annual with Scott Synder, she started writing regularly the next year with Earth 2: World’s End. But, it was her launching the DC Bombshells comic universe that cemented her not only as a fantastic writer but an historically important proponent of Pride representation in comics. She wrote the series with the straight forward idea that “if you write stories that tell folks that queer people can live without shame, they just might grow up believing it.” She followed up with a stint helming Batwoman, and projects outside of DC including A Force, Josie and the Pussycats, and creator owned InSeXts. Stay tuned, because there’s no way Bennett is done yet.

dc b

DC Comics: Bombshells

Pride_Profile_James_Tynion
:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: James Tynion IV.

Summary

You see the name Tynion on a comic cover and you trust it’s going to be good. Tynion earned that trust with his DC work on Batman comics, including the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossovers, and an A+ run on Justice League Dark. Tynion can also be added to the growing list of successful writers introduced into the DCU by Scott Snyder. He has been nominated for Eisner and Harvey Awards, and won the 2016 GLAAD Media award for Outstanding Comic Book for his creator owned The Woods with IDW. Openly bisexual himself, Tynion enriches his stories with representation across the spectrum, including Batman’s new rival Ghosthunter.

Batman Eternal
Batman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Justice League Dark

7 Likes

Darn you!!! Whenever I see a book that I actually own and haven’t read pop up in a club, I need to read it.

9 Likes

:+1:t3:

9 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ Excellent. My evil plan is coming to fruition!

I hope you like it! :purple_heart: Thats the important part!

8 Likes

You have something specific of his I should look into @AlexanderKnox? :eyes: I’m always open to suggestions.

5 Likes

I want to read Bombshells because I’m intrigued by the concept and creator, but I have to start at the beginning. Starting in the middle would be madness

7 Likes

Well, you already provided a link to his Manhunter run, which continued as a backup in Streets of Gotham (and you can probably guess which club looked at a few of those stories :stuck_out_tongue: ). And then there’s his splendid work on Wonder Woman '77 (which has been been covered by World of Wonder). I don’t know if any clubs have looked at his Supergirl run.

5 Likes

The original is a pretty long run, msgtv. I ended up jumping around and still haven’t finished all the issues & still haven’t gotten to this one :shushing_face: lol

I’m going for a Crimes of Passion first, because it’s been on my list for a while.

5 Likes

Ah, Supergirl! Don’t think I’ve seen it in any clubs either. :white_check_mark: Added. Thanks @AlexanderKnox!

I know how much you like hands, so… :raised_hands::handshake::fist::v:

4 Likes

For anyone interested in reading more 52, this is happening weekly! :books: Or click 52-book-club for more

8 Likes

Thanks for the shout-out. :smiley:

6 Likes

You’re very welcome! And thank YOU for the shout out in return! :purple_heart: :hugs:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I found my way here from the DC Book Club. I don’t know if this is the right place to post this type of question (still new and awkward on DCUI, sorry), but I’ve been trying to read all of Renee Montoya’s storylines and I’m looking for help…if anyone knows the reading order?

Specifically I finished Crime Bible and then went into Final Crisis, but I feel like I must have missed something between there?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey @angel212! :wave: Welcome! Glad you came by! I just so happen to be putting together an essential reading list on Renee! It’s not entirely complete, just yet, but :face_with_monocle: points of interest (all available in our DCUI library):

Gotham Central
Lois Lane (2019)
Batwoman (Rebirth)

(In addition to the 2 you mentioned) How’d you like Crime Bible? :purple_heart: Would love to read your thoughts if ya get a chance! Let me know if you have any more Qs.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions! I will put Batwoman Rebirth on my list for sure. I have read those other 3 series already…Greg Rucka is my favorite comic author and at some point while making my way through his back catalog, Renee became one of my favorite characters. (I actually first encountered her in Bombshells, though.)

Crime Bible was an interesting little series! Even after becoming The Question, Renee is always struggling to balance the light and dark inside her. It’s part of what I find so compelling about her. (Also she is always ready with a good quip.) :grin:

6 Likes

Hey again @angel212! :wave:
I’m a pretty big Greg Rucka fan too—as I’m sure you’ve noticed, he’s Renee’s main guardian/custodian, lol! Since you’re a fan too, you may have already read most of her major stories, but here’s a few more points of interest :nerd_face:

-Detective Comics 854-864 (“Go” :point_up_2:is part of this story. Let us know what you think if you decide to go for it!)
-Convergence: The Question
-One arc Montoya is in is Officer Down. The club will be reading it soonish, so I hope you join us for that! (No Mans Land :eyes: there’s always that one!!)

Are you looking for single issues at all? That’s the more time consuming part, but I should have something more complete pretty soon. I’ll definitely let you know, if you’d like! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

So I decided to start with Detective Comics #747, which was a nice one-shot story. It’s an interesting one because this was written about two years before Renee was outed in Gotham Central, but it still works pretty well, especially the scene where her parents are talking about why she hasn’t settled down with a nice boy and have some kids already because she’s not getting younger! :roll_eyes: Pretty relatable, I must say.

Now I’m wondering if Rucka has ever said when he thought to write Renee as being a lesbian, if he had this possible thought in his mind when he was writing this issue, because it does feel like it could work either way, especially with what happens in the end.

Part of me feels like there’s a bit of filler that could have been condensed a bit, but that could just be a byproduct of the “day in the life” style story we’re telling.

Also, seeing this take on Playboy Bruce was…weird. Like, I don’t see him just casually calling a woman a “hottie.” I dunno, even if he’s putting on an act, being raised by a proper English gentlemen makes me think he would sooner call a woman “beautiful” or “gorgeous.”

Finally, the ending of this is pretty sweet…on it’s own. But then you remember that Two-Face would later out Renee to her family and co-workers and then frame her for murder as part of an insane plot to get her to love him, and then it just becomes CREEPY. I bet Bruce really regrets facilitating the flowers from Harvey to Renee.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Razzzcat! I have read most of those, but I didn’t know about Final Crisis Revelations! I’ll go look it up! I have read bits and pieces of No Man’s Land, I should get back to that.

I have read Go (and Elegy). I can’t think of a better storyline for Pride Month, honestly. The way the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy was portrayed in relation to Kate’s life felt painfully real.

I’d love to see your single issues list whenever you get to it! It’s kind of overwhelming with so many interconnected series to make any sense of where to look. I guess the reason I thought I missed a major story arc is because Crime Bible seems to end abruptly, like something should happen next.

@Jay_Kay I just read that issue also. I don’t know if you read Convergence: The Question, but Renee’s relationship with Dent is consistently strange and complicated. I do agree with you though, I read the ending of this story first as sweet, but in greater context it is creepy. And generally speaking I don’t think I’d count it as a happy birthday if my only present was flowers from an Arkham inmate. >_>

6 Likes

Yeah it’s part if a bigger story (if you’re interested)—some people don’t like jumping in at a mid point, and I’ve not come across anyone who knows Renee as well as I do :laughing: so it’ll work for you! Hope you like it and you’re very welcome.

Agree. They feel right to include, as well as just spotlighting the characters as regular ol’ heroes. That’s important too. Some people think they can’t read and relate, but they can. If I can relate to Superman or Wonder Woman, someone out there can relate Kate or Midnighter or Ivy, too.

I’ll let you know as soon as it’s ready! :dancer:t2: There’s so many stories connected its hard to find them and then decide what to include sometimes, you’re :100: @angel212!

4 Likes