Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks 12 & 13: SPOTLIGHT: Black Canary 1-4/ Kicking & Screaming 1-3

Azz can be hit and miss in his writing, but I did enjoy his Superman run, while I loved his Wonder Woman work.

4 Likes

Totally fair! I have to admit that his Wondy stuff didn’t work for me, but I do acknowledge his skill.

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t she? After a fight, you’re full of adredaline, why not some rock?

Plus we’ve seen that she is versitile and can do more R&B as well. She can do it all!

Yeah, I remember when that came out I was sort of conflicted with it. Like, on one hand, it’s not like such things aren’t prevalent in the music business, but on the other it sucked to not just have it happen to her, but be just an incidental plot point, something that happens off panel. I would have rather seen it explored as it’s own story rather than a blink and you’ll miss it page.

Hope that makes sense – being a little vague since I’m pretty sure the BOP club will cover that one-shot at some point.

I did love most of it, though. I really enjoyed how he handled Harley especially, and the parallels he had with his Joker OGN.

3 Likes

I mean, sure, but it felt so skeezy and lazily edgy, and did not connect to any version of Dinah I’ve ever read. We’ll have to see what others feel! I don’t know if it’s coming to DCU right now - since it’s Black Label.

4 Likes

It’s actually already on here!

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/birds-of-prey-2020-1/a91cf17e-48f7-48e9-a193-1b7ea81bf6e4/

3 Likes

There is it! Thanks!

I do have a question for our leaders like @Razzzcat - will we also read some non-canon types of stories, like the Scooby Doo team up with the Birds of Prey? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:100:

4 Likes

Hooray!

3 Likes

I love those sneak peeks, though it looks like the link might be broken :frowning: I wish they were collected here on DCUI.

2 Likes

Isn’t it part of Convergence? Not sure which issue.

2 Likes

They were originally printed as part of the Convergence Tie-In series. I should check on that…nope, just did a check, and they’re not included. :frowning:

2 Likes

I believe this is it:

4 Likes

Oooh, there it is! :slight_smile:

And we can read all of them here, for the interested! Search | DC

5 Likes

Ah, good find! I remember reading them on Comixology because they released them for free there that I just kind of associate those previews with it.

It is a shame they’re not on DCUI, because most of them are pretty cool, and some of them actually hold some key plot stuff. Like, I have to imagine reading The Omega Men by Tom King is REALLY confusing without it.

4 Likes

Yeah. Some of them, like Detective Comics, was almost literally just a trailer for the book. Some of them were essential to the plot, like Omega Men. Most of them were “fun additional adventures”, like Batgirl, Black Canary, Gotham by Midnight, Robin Son of Batman, Catwoman, etc.

5 Likes

Count on it @millernumber1 :sunglasses::purple_heart: And you’re always welcome to throw in some suggestions!

3 Likes

Very exciting! There’s such a wealth of Birds of Prey content!

3 Likes

@millernumber1 SO much! We definitely want to start running through the first series soon, too. :purple_heart: Hope you’ll join us!

2 Likes

Hooray! I’m also so happy that DC is finally collecting all of Gail’s first run in trades again.

3 Likes

@millernumber1 Me too! It’ll probably wrangle some new readers/fans for the characters, and that’s :tada: awesome! :00_black_canary::birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :00_huntress2:

3 Likes