Birds of Prey | Book Club | TEAMUP: Gotham City Garage #1-24

Hello there, birdwatchers. and welcome to 2022 and the second year of our cozy little bird club! :00_black_canary: We’re hitting pause on our readthrough of the legendary ongoing BOP series to bring you this fun and fresh look at some of our favorite characters! Join us, won’t you, in Gotham City Garage! :muscle:

We have Black Canary, we have Batgirl, we have Supergirl, we have Wonder Woman, we have Big Barda… Come one, come all! :raised_hands:

This month, we’ll read the first 12 issues of this 24 issue digital-first series. They’re a pretty quick read:

:books: This activity will be running ALL month long!

We’ll take the first two weeks (1/10 - 1/23) to read, then discuss during the last week (1/24 -1/30). Did you enjoy them? Have you read them before? What did you think of the dialogue or artwork? Anything about the reading (or characters) you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE !

10 Likes

Looking forward to a discussion on this one!
:nerd_face: I’ll just be patiently waiting over here…

5 Likes

This will be a very intersting one. I love the aesthetic of the series.

6 Likes

I mean just looking at Canary’s pants on the cover above makes this a 10/10 for me! :laughing:

4 Likes

I’d never heard of this series or the collectibles line it’s based on, so I Googled it. I had to be picked up off the floor after seeing the first thing that came up :heart_eyes::

Then I saw how much it was going for on eBay and had to be picked up off the floor again. :moneybag: :money_with_wings:

Sad I’ll never be able to own that statue, but Great Hera, she’s gorgeous. :00_wonder_woman_gold:

5 Likes

Whew, that really is a good one. Pretty pricey on Ebay indeed :grimacing:

5 Likes

I do wonder what’s up with DC, creating really popular statuettes like that that clearly have some demand, but letting the line die so that the price is incredibly high.

5 Likes

I’m mildly obsessed w/ all of the statues from this series, lol, but yeah… that price tag. :neutral_face:Do they not realize how many of us would buy these or something?? Like, WUT?

Hey, Diana. :full_moon_with_face: :00_wonder_woman_gold::black_heart:

And since we’re talking about them, here’s a few more!

7 Likes

That Catwoman is somethin’ else! I really wish they’d made a Spoiler one - I feel Steph really could have gone with this grungepunk aesthetic! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So many midriffs. :eyes: :sparkling_heart:

All of those are beautiful, but Selina’s gets bonus points for the cat. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, I’ve been meaning to read this since forever. Now I “have to”…

7 Likes

Because I have no chill, I didn’t stop with issue #11 and read the whole series. :sweat_smile:

I don’t usually like dystopian fiction, but I really enjoyed this reimagining of the DC characters. It was a very entertaining read. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts.

So there’s Bombshells, Ame-Comi Girls, and Gotham City Garage…are there any other comic series based on DC collectible lines? :thinking:

5 Likes

reading this because of one name ‘Wonder Woman’

5 Likes

Finished these issues and it was pretty decent. It’s an interesting Elseworld story and it was cool to see all these characters in different looks and backgrounds. I kind of wish that there was more initially to explain how the world became this, but I’m sure it will be explained in the second half.

5 Likes

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: Greetings @BirdsofPrey! :00_batgirl1: :00_huntress2: :00_black_canary: :00_birds_of_prey:

:rotating_light: This month, we’re going to finish up with Gotham City Garage 13-24 and (for convenience) we’re going to continue right here in this thread! :tada: I know some have read ahead, so fire away if you’re ready (w/ blurry spoilers if ya please) otherwise, you know the drill:

We’ll take the first two weeks (2/2- 2/13) to read, then discuss during weeks 3&4 (2/14–2/27). Did you enjoy them? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything about the reading (or characters) you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: We’ll see ya soon!

7 Likes

I’m a sucker for post apocalyptic landscapes & Female Superheroes so this was right up my alley. I love the vehicles & have been trying to get my hands on just 1 of the statues they make. I did have the Supergirl holding up the motorcycle engine ready to go one day when I saw it dipped to the lowest I’d ever seen it. It was $400 which is cheap for those. I decided to get like 10 different figures instead of just that one tho. Kind of wish I would’ve just bought the SG now…

5 Likes

Ooh Thanks for reminding me @capo-mage ! Forgot that one last time :supergirl_cw:

(FYI, everyone: :raised_hand: I read the whole story w/ Melissa Benoist in my head! :nerd_face:)

6 Likes

Okay, I should probably share some thoughts before I forget what happened more than I already have. :face_with_monocle:

Gotham City Garage

Like I said previously, I really don’t usually enjoy dystopian fiction. Probably because sometimes it’s a little too reminiscent of where we could be heading in real life. (Honestly, Jeff Bezos probably has Lex’s mind-control implant on his 5-year plan right now. :upside_down_face:) But aside from all that, I liked the way this story was told and how the characters were reimagined.

Predictably, I’m looking back at my screengrabs I saved and they all seem to be focused on one character…

I absolutely loved this idea of Wonder Woman as a myth that existed even among the other heroes, and the fact that there were actual comics about her in this world (which Kara had studied extensively, it would seem - never have I related more deeply to Supergirl than in this instance. :joy:) And then the breaking down of the myth when Diana actually appears to make her more real and understandable to the other characters…it was just beautiful to me.

Also, Wonder Woman and Big Barda should team up all the time. :muscle: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

I should say something about other characters, right? It was interesting making Kara and Barbara adopted sisters. In Bombshells Supergirl and Stargirl are adopted sisters…that caused some confusion to me as a new DC reader at the time, but now I really like the way they shake up and interweave the various stories in the Elseworld books.

That’s all I can think of. Still bummed I can’t get that Diana statue. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You’re more than welcome :hugs:. I must own that someday. I love Benoist & read in her voice sometimes too!!

6 Likes

:star_struck: :catwoman_hv_2: :catwoman_hv_2: :catwoman_hv_2:

5 Likes