Birds of Prey | Book Club | TEAM-UP | Series Read, Part 4: Birds of Prey #28-38

Hey there, birdwatchers! Our epic series read of the amazing original Birds of Prey series is back with the fourth installment! :00_birds_of_prey:

This time, we’ve got the following exciting issues:

As you may have noticed, this part of the story briefly crosses over with the large Joker: Last Laugh event. If you wish to go for extra credit, you can read the core issues, or the full storyline :arrow_right: HERE!

Our neighbors over at the :renegade_robins: Renegade Robins Club are doing the full event, so you’re more than welcome to join them in their valiant efforts!

:books: This activity will be running ALL month long!

You know the drill: We’ll take the first three weeks (2/28-3/20) to read, then discuss during the next two weeks (3/21-4/3). Did you enjoy them? Have you read them before? What did you think of the dialogue or artwork? Anything about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE

8 Likes

AND! If you’ve missed the previous installments of this Series Read, please use the links below to get yourself up to speed! :raised_hands: :00_black_canary: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :00_huntress1: It is never too late!

7 Likes

All RIGHT, this reading selection contains my second favorite arc from Dixon’s run, the Big Romance! (Not for the romance, mind you, but for something that was a really long awaited event!) Hope some peeps get a chance to discover this wonderful storyline!

3 Likes

Our reading time for this wraps up on Sunday and then we’re free to discuss! It’s been a little while so I hope peeps come back to read and chat with us about this amazing series!

4 Likes

Hooray! When you post the discussion kickoff, I shall answer the discussion questions! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can feel free to jump in at any time starting Monday!

2 Likes

But will I remember???

4 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

Comments about The Big Romance arc!

1. Did you enjoy them? Yes! This is my second favorite arc of Dixon’s run in the Birds of Prey, after Hunt for Oracle! It has a real villain, real stakes, and real consequences! Plus some pretty great art!
  2. Have you read them before? I have indeed! Back when I was in grad school, I discovered the whole Dixon run - previously I’d only read the Simone stuff (which was the only real trades available at the time). I have to admit I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Fourth World/cosmic or time travel stuff - Birds of Prey, to me, should be a tad bit more grounded (though I’m okay with Brainiac Cancer from Simone’s run, which might be a bit less grounded than I’m claiming I prefer :slight_smile: ). However, this arc (and Hunt for Oracle) really paid off the slow burning character stuff that the series had developed. When I talk about my frustration with how Babs’s injury was “fixed” with the n52, I think in part at least it is because Babs never actually got to go through this kind of arc, where her struggle was built up. It was just magically done in the backstory. Here, Canary’s struggles are given strong depiction, and the climax feels earned to me.
  1. What did you think of the dialogue or artwork? There are a couple of times where a few things are a bit confusing - how Canary got so injured is the big one - she goes from fighting to dying without a super clear explanation, though I get they were trying to keep it PG-13. But on the whole, it’s a sexy James Bond story - with the Birds taking control of their own fate, instead of letting Jason Bard or anyone else be the main characters. They have help, of course, but Babs and Dinah drive the plot and are the clear heroines. I do love the hardboiled detective stuff from Jason in the first few issues, though! Classic and humorous, while also being a bit sad at the closing of the door on the Babs/Bard relationship (for now, at least! Lol).
  2. Anything about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. I wish they’d collect this storyline, since they stopped at the Hunt for Oracle storyline in the past, and picked up with Simone’s run. Not that I’m complaining at all about getting Simone’s run at last in trade again (though it’s going out of print ridiculously fast), but getting a nice copy of The Big Romance would be wonderful!
4 Likes