Birds of Prey | Book Club | More ORIGINS: Black Canary

Are you going to go onto that 1993 series or have you read it before?

2 Likes

I’ll definitely be back for it! I don’t believe I’ve read it before.

2 Likes

I definitely feel this – not sure about the timing of everything, but I wonder if maybe she was reverted into more basic heroic stories because of Wertham and the Senate hearings about comics going on? After all, all that stuff is why Catwoman herself was virtually absent in the late 40s and 50s.

I do know she does go back to a more Robin Hood/Green Hornet style in the mid-80s. It’s also the period that debuts one of more infamous costumes:

I think that was just a Golden Age staple in general. I’ve read a good chunk of early Batman stories and he got clobbered in the back of the head so often I was stunned he didn’t develop a traumatic brain injury. :sweat_smile:

I mean, I imagine even our current books have a certain degree of formula to it.

Yeah, Larry was comically awful. I did love the next panel after where we see Dinah contemplate braining him with a vase. :rofl:

Wait, is that implying that Ted had a tryst with Dinah? That’s…surprising. Never would have thought that would be a thing.

3 Likes

My guess would be that it wouldn’t have specifically been because of Wertham and the Senate hearings as Seduction of the Innocent hadn’t been published until 1954 and that’s what kicked it all off. However, maybe they felt things were headed in that direction…? More likely, they probably realized they had a popular character on their hands and wanted to go “full good guy” with her.

:laughing: It was the same with Blue Beetle. In almost every episode of his radio show, the bad guys would knock him out by striking him on the back of the head. It happened a fair amount in his Golden Age comics, too. It got to the point where he was even knocked out by a shot to the back of the head by The Red Robe of Death:

OW!

Probably true enough. However… it was a bit more excessive in the Golden Age. Kinda like reading the exact same story over and over again…

I never really saw it, either, but it happened! It’s a pretty good issue, too. Good commentary at the end about the kind of “boys’ club” that existed among the authorities back in the “good old days.”

3 Likes