"Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" First Trailer - Thoughts and Reactions

The first trailer for B.O.P. etc. Just released. This is to share your thoughts and reactions, let’s discuss what was in it and how we feel.

Personally, I am really looking forward to it. There are 2 things I should note though. First of all, the trailer was really only focused on Harley. Makes sense, seeing as how she is appearing in multiple DC films, but I really want just as much focus on the other characters in the film. Second, I do honestly hope that when it comes to Feminist themes that it’s more like “Wonder Woman” and less like “Captain Marvel”. Slightly concerned, but I’m probably being paranoid.

Anyway, share your thoughts!

6 Likes

Is, uh, there any non-Harley characters in this film?

3 Likes

While I DO think this looks good…I still don’t get why they’re putting Harley with the Birds of Prey (a team she’s never been a member of) as opposed to, say, Gotham City Sirens. I mean, it’s not like Poison Ivy and Catwoman aren’t also popular female characters known to the general public.
But yeah, film looks good. I’m just being nitpicky.
(Also, was the girl at the very end supposed to be Cassandra Cain? Because if so, I am VERY concerned about how easily she’s talking)

4 Likes

Not excited. Nobody resembles their comicbook counterparts. Harley is overrated and has commandeered a likable team. No Batgirl/Oracle. The only reason I want this movie to succeed is so we can get more DC, but if this is how we will get to see our favorite characters: punk knockoffs who are said characters in name only, I’m not thrilled.

4 Likes

Not sure if I really enjoyed it due to all the footage of Harley Quinn and not focusing on anyone else but hopefully the second trailer will show more of the other characters. This trailer felt like Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey not the other way around

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/IBMt3ojan7g

Hyenas (will they be named Bud and Lou?)! A Marilyn Monroe homage! Improvised ways to get rid of dynamite!

I’ll see it.

5 Likes

Still waiting on that Birds of Prey trailer. All I’ve seen so far is Harley Quinn the movie

8 Likes

@Lecouch Admittedly, retitling it “Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey” would solve a lot of the problems here

2 Likes

As a first trailer I think it’s decent. Harley-focused, which makes sense since she’s the most popular character appearing in the film, but I’m sure future trailers will give us more Huntress and Black Canary. It’s not the home run that the first Joker and Shazam! trailers were, but it’s a nice start.

Trash :put_litter_in_its_place::put_litter_in_its_place::put_litter_in_its_place:

Black Mask wears no black mask

Cassandra Cain a chubby Asian girl who has zero fighting ability (this is so disrespectful to the comic version of her)

Black Canary looks like she will be Harley sidekick in this film.

3 Likes

@kingbat went a little harsher then I would. I look at this as an else worlds story that took liberties with the movie adaptation.

Should have just named it The Fabulous Harley Quinn featuring the birds of prey and it would probably would have been recieved better.

1 Like

It’s like the Birds of Prey are supporting characters in their own film.
Where’s Black Mask’s mask?
Is that supposed to be Cassandra Cain? Because aside from being asian, female, and named Cassandra Cain, there’s nothing to tie her to that character.
Why was this not a Gotham City Sirens movie? Would Poison Ivy’s plant control strain the VFX budget to much?

4 Likes

See, I love DC. I love it more than Marvel.

But this make it easy for me to love MCU more than DC movies. Nothing like Huntress or Black Canary or Black Mask. Please dont tell me that’s Cassandra Cain.

I like that DC isn’t following MCU formula but was it really that hard to get the Birds of Prey in the big screen rather than being Harley Quinn’s sidekicks!?

2 Likes

-I’m the one they should be scared of… Boo!-
Looks fun, I’ll def check it out! Love Mary Winstead! She was great in Fargo S3 and so was Ewan.
:bat:

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to it, but I’m already tired of Harley’s schtick. I’m very happy other people like her, but I hate her. I hate her so much. It’s a 10. It’s a 10 on the hate meter. And Margot Robbie can’t do manic. But that doesn’t make it less annoying.

1 Like

It wasn’t a great trailer. A very far cry from the amazing Suicide Squad trailer. On the other hand, maybe that means they didn’t add all the great scenes in the trailer. Hopefully they saved the good stuff for the movie.

But of course, this might also be a “best of”-reel in which case I should save my money.

I’ll not make a decision based off it.

2 Likes

Thought it was a cool trailer. Going opening weekend. I am always amazed at how lousy the average dc fan is based on the comments on this discussion board. 1/2 of you are negative about everything and give so little support. Glad that its looking like Disney+ isn’t going to have one of these.

1 Like

Looks good to me, do hope we see more Birds in follow-on trailers but Harley is the character known more by the movie going public so it’s natural they would lean into that early.

2 Likes

After watching the trailer a couple of times…It looks like a film I would be disappointed in. I did like that Lou and Bud are in the movie. To be honest this film is not for people my age or thinking. It is too far away from the source material, for my liking. I am almost 100% sure it will be PC and all that. Just going off this trailer, not wasting my money. I hope I am wrong though, cause I love DC Comics.

3 Likes

The trailer is amazing. Loved the French song and Harley lip-syncing. Just the overall atmosphere. Is this a Birds of Prey movie, as in an adaptation of that iconic run. No. But we knew that, No Oracle, for one thing. But Is this a Harley Quinn movie? Abso-fantabulously-lutely! This is 100% Harley and I’m here for all of it. Margot Robie is Harley just as Gal Gadot is Diana. Perfect!

2 Likes