Birds of Prey 2020

@Desade, Harley has been in the Suicide Squad for several teams. Putting her in a Suicide Squad movie doesnt make it Harley featuring SS, imo, it’s still just Suicide Squad. Now, I know that Harley is big but maybe it has to do with her constantly being featured front and center in everything. Maybe if they did a traditional Birds of Prey story more people would appreciate that team and the characters. It’s not like nobody has heard of Batgirl after all. It’s not like the Birds of Prey story is praised for offering up a strong story about female empowerment, survival, bonding, strength and perseverance.

Look, I understand, they want a girl gang movie and they dont want to ruin well known characters like Batgirl, Catwonan, and Ivy on a passion project produced by their favorite actress. They probably want to oversee every step of those characters development in Batman. So maybe it’s less that I dont understand and just feel they are throwing a tremendous opportunity out the window.

As far as world building goes, I think you’re taking a leap of faith there. This could be a a movie that establishes some concrete world details but it also seems poised to be completely disposable as well. If Huntress and Black Canary steal the show, fantastic. If not, oh well they dont need to appear in her next film. It feels like the opposite of world building, but we’ll see.

They keep saying that they arent going to focus on world building anymore. I think the only thing close to a shared universe we’ll get is the Reeves Batman trilogy, which will probably include Catwoman and Poison Ivy, but no Harley, Huntress, or Canary.

Again, I know it’s all projection and screaming about the sky falling. But it boils down to the feeling that WB doesnt understand these characters. They don’t get what makes them great and now neither will the rest of the world. I have a feeling it’s going to be good in it’s own right, but it will also throw alot of great DC lore out the window, stuff that would work for the very demographic they seem to be aiming for. Instead we have a clear low-risk attempt by WB to secure an annual bonus for their executive board with a low budget Harley Quinn sequel. In an attempt to stoke the fanbase they included the title BoP, but the characters are unrecognizable and the stories that make them great arent being used.

1 Like

Sorry if I wasn’t clear by Suicide Squad featuring HQ. I was more talking (tongue in cheek) that they realized HQ was going to be the major marketable asset of the SS movie.

Look at the original Superman movie story. I don’t recall a comic where Lex tried to buy desert real estate and drop most of California into the ocean. That was a fun story.

I think for live action, staying away from adapting existing stories is probably best. That is generally a no win situation. Fans are likely to not be happy because x was changed or this scene was added or this scene cut. And gen pop fans probably don’t understand what all the fan fuss is about.

As for world building, I should have been clearer. DCEU is Universe building, merely by bringing more non-Bat non-Supes characters into their films. They don’t all have to know each other. But, getting the gen pop more familiar with the broad spectrum of DC characters in general.

I think Marvel’s grand plan for the MCU is a bit of revisionist history. Had Thor and/or Iron Man 2 tanked, there would be no MCU.

1 Like

I dont know if that’s necessarily true about there being no MCU, by the time Thor and Iron man 2 came out they were already well on their way into pre-production on Captain America and they clearly planned on the Avengers happening. There was a Hulk vs Iron-man movie they were going to do, but when Hulk wasnt received well it got scrapped. It simply would have been a different MCU. Also, those films werent overly well recieved critically, Iron-man 2 got some pretty bad reviews, they didnt react by trying to scrap the whole universe they set-up. They made a slight shift in plans. So, having a plan was essential. This is throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Which is fine I guess, seeing as they’ve abandoned any long term story-telling anyway.
I mean, it sucks Barbara is being erased from the lore. Now everybody is going to associate the Birds as an extension of Harley Quinn just like everyone believes Superman should be a cheesy, 1 dimensional, cartoon “do-gooder” character with all the depth and nuance of Dudley Do-Right.
Again, it’s much ado about nothing, I’ll be there opening day. They’re just movies, I know.

New posters!

Harley and a hyena. Is it Bud or Lou?

4 Likes

I like the heart one, since it’s coming out close to Valentine’s Day.

4 Likes

Her mallet seems to be making a lot of appearances in these posters. Maybe we’ll actually get to see it more than the bat this go around?

4 Likes

Harley stepped in Shazam’s discarded bubble gum!

4 Likes

First poster, I am ok with.

But now, why call it “Birds of Prey” but all those new posters only shows Harley Quinn!!! Really!? This is one DC movie I’m not looking forward to.

2 Likes

I’m very excited for this as a BOP fan. The general movie-going public doesn’t know who the Birds of Prey are, but they know Harley. They don’t know Huntress or Black Canary.

1 Like

I like that they’re marketing it BOP♦HQ but I do agree that I want some posters of the BOP half. These posters look cool. I like that they’re using the diamond pattern and the vibrant colors.

@Mae I would argue they do know who black canary is no matter how butchered the character was on Arrow.

Suicide Squad 2016 had the whole team in the released movie posters. They didn’t isolate the whole squad and SS wasn’t that well known also. Nobody knew who Guardians of the Galaxy were and they marketed the whole team.

“Birds of Prey” is literally the first words of the movie. Kinda awkward to have Birds of Prey but not one member on the poster. Just name it Harley Quinn or Harley Quinn & Friends or something like that.

2 Likes

We are getting the trailer tomorrow as well. I already saw a snippet of it and I just want it to drop already :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DCComics tweeted more images

2 Likes

Huntress

1 Like

Black Canary

1 Like

You have to keep in mind that they probably want to drum up attention for Harley using her popular live action version in order to get more eyes on the animated Harley that is coming to DC Universe. I’m sure the Birds of Prey will be getting the spotlight soon enough.

1 Like

VERY COOL!

I know HQ is a blonde, but a redhead BC. Serious-bleepin-ly. Arrow was bad enough, but a redhead for a freakin canary. Give me strength. Looks Dinah is getting screwed over again.

It’s okay, characters don’t have to look exactly like they do in the comics. Heck, they don’t always look the same in comics either. As a huge Huntress fan I can still be excited for this version of the character even though she looks almost nothing like the comic book counterpart.

1 Like