Bill Maher

I wanna hear what somebody actually funny has to say about it like Patton Oswalt or Kevin Smith who he also personally attacked

2 Likes

I have no real gripe with Maherā€™s comments because how can a person who has been smoking weed since he was a kid and actually dealt it in college take shots at something that has given me joy since I was a kid? Pot meet kettle.

That said I do agree with him that too many CBMā€™s are reliant on the shiny MacGuffin to drive their plots instead of being allowed to expand what the genre is capable of being. The battle that still rages over Zack Snyderā€™s two and a half DCEU movies is proof of that. Staying with the same old, same old makes bank but thatā€™s all it does because several of the movies during this golden age have no rewatchability for me.

Probably why Iā€™ve become even more of a DC fan over the past ten years because despite executive meddling with the films WB/DC have given me a diverse menu of options in all media that has remained true to the original sources while taking the stories being told in whatever directions they take.

When more than one way to make a CBM is greeted with the same breathless anticipation that the same old winking camp that Maher and the general audience thinks CBMā€™s are then his comments and others like them will get no more traction than tweets from a fake twitter account.

2 Likes

I try to just ignore what people like him say. The headlines anger me at first but, then I why care this brings me joy and helps my life. Who cares if it anger this one person, who canā€™t see why this medium is important to all ages.

2 Likes

@drbtg1.95630 If he really started smoking pot that young, it might explain a few things. Studies have suggested that chronic use of marijuana (no pun intended) can result in stunted development in brains younger than 25 (oddly enough, the age range Maher probably thinks he is).

Maher wants to cling to what little relevance he still has by attacking something he thinks is really easy to understand, but is actually more nuanced than heā€™d admit. Like I posted on Twitter after I heard about his initial remarks, itā€™s ironic that heā€™s an atheist, since the only way natural selection hasnā€™t thoroughly eviscerated him already in is by the benevolence (and probably pity) of the Almighty. This schmuck has the nerve to say academic standards dropped because of comics in 90ā€™s? No, academic standards clearly dropped when he somehow managed to get two degrees (Writing and History). Heā€™s an anti-vaxxer, and he has the nerve criticize the intelligence and maturity of others? Guess we can put ā€œnot self-awareā€ to his long list of character flaws.

That all said, I can respect the ā€œjust ignore himā€ response, but frankly, heā€™s just acting like a schoolyard bully at this point. A lot of my bullies went unpunished, so ā€œignoringā€ this one seems like letting his stupidity flourish (this isnā€™t just about his views on comics). He wants to amuse himself (and get paid) at the expense of other people. Except heā€™s so egomaniacal, he wants everyone to believe this is all of the greater good of the human race. The fact that he has a TV show where he can influence people to think like him, spread his slander and half-wittedness like a cancer doesnā€™t help. But hey, heā€™s a monumental ass-hat, and studies have shown jerks tend to get far. Just look at his buddy, Donald Trump (credit to Tom King who posted a picture of the two smiling together).

I guess the best middle ground is to vent about his brainless ramblings in places like this, where heā€™ll never see them, since that would entail some kind of research into the culture, and heā€™s not smart enough to do something so completely basic. Now Iā€™m GLAD I put this up on my deviantArt page: https://www.deviantart.com/mr-morbach/art/The-Stubborn-Turd-782682711

2 Likes

My face when Bill Maher thread.

e8a5w9s.gif

1 Like

Iā€™ve been saying f@#k Bill Maher for years!! Guys got one of the most punchable faces on television.

3 Likes

Bill Maherā€¦hmmā€¦oh yeah! He guest starred on Married With Children a time or two. I remember him.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t hear what he said. But Iā€™m down for a witch hunt.

1 Like

I understand the people who donā€™t care what he said. I care because he personally attacked the comic book community. When someone attacks me I defend myself

2 Likes

Past few years he has shown himself to be a complete ass making comments like this

2 Likes

So I watched Bill Maherā€™s commentsā€¦ To me, it sounded like heā€™s low-key bitter about losing thousands of twitter followers after his Stan Lee comments.

He is in show business, therefore heā€™s trying to get attention - and guess what? It worked! I have had zero interest in Bill Mayer, and now because of the publicity he got for his comments, I watched his five minute anti-comics rant. Heā€™s no fool. He knows that insulting the comic community will win him attention - even if its negative attention.

The sad thing is, the people who watch his show and have never read a comic may walk away thinking that comic storylines are only for children. Theyā€™re not. Perhaps instead of insulting and belittling comics, he could investigate what makes adults love them so much. But due to his comments, I donā€™t trust him to do a fair-minded investigation.

2 Likes

Do we really need a man hunt? He says comics are for children because he is too afraid to show his inner child. That is where it started for most of us but that is not where it will end. Just remember he still needs others to write his narrative. Whats sadder, us who read thing ā€œfor childrenā€ or someone who will never give massive amounts of people hope?

who dat

Heā€™s literally not worth it. He probably actually wants you to come after him, so he can keep making his comments & get attention. The best thing to do is ignore & boycott his work. Hit them where it always hurts, their money. Now if a bunch of people want to work together & quit HBO because of him & complain to HBO, that could work. However, now unfortunately is not a good time to quit HBO, because that last season of Game of Thrones is about to drop, and I gots to know how it ends, lol. Of course later this year is the Watchmen TV series on HBO, I canā€™t miss that either.

Either side of the political fence I think we can all agree. Bill Maher has and will always be a complete jabrone of the highest order.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s all Iā€™ll say in the matter: To anyone who struggles with self esteem, anyone who may be beating themselves up because they arenā€™t ā€œadult enoughā€ who heard his comments regarding his sadness ā€œā€¦ That youā€™re alive.ā€ -you are valuable just the way you are. You are worthy of being respected and what you enjoy as your hobbies have no bearing on that.
I had a hard time verbalizing this, so I hope it made sense. I just donā€™t want anyone who may already be prone to self worth issues to take his words and run with it.
TLDR; Your hobbies and the things you enjoy have no impact on your worth <3 <3 Iā€™m glad youā€™re alive.

9 Likes

@Star0fLyra That was really well said. I think that I did take his comments alittle personally because of that exact reason.

1 Like

Heā€™s a political tv guy that just says crazy stuff each week to get eyes on his show. Not sure why he said the anti comic stuff but I wouldnā€™t take it too seriously he probably didnā€™t even write the words himself

1 Like

If the guy is on the level, then the sad part is he probably never had the pleasure of reading a Stan Lee Fantastic Four or Spider-Man comic.

shrugs F*** 'im.