BigBlock - Cassandra Cain - Batgirl - WIP

I use my iPad and Apple Pencil. I also do not like drawing on a slick surface, (I’ve always been a pencil and heavy pound paper kind of guy), so I bought one of those PaperLike screen protectors for my iPad. It makes it feel like your drawing on paper.
As far as Apps, my personal favorite is Procreate.
I’ve tried a ton of others out there, but Procreate is the best in my humble opinion.
I’ve always drawn with pencil, charcoal, ink, and stuff. But when my wife surprised me with an iPad and Pencil for my birthday a few years ago, I love it now. Simply for the fact that i can take it with me everywhere I go.

I’ve never had a setup for my computer, but i bet it would be cool. Actually before she surprised me with the iPad, i was researching computer drawing tablets for my computer. It’d be so cool to have the ability to have a much larger screen to zoom in and get all the little details.

I have super high depression, anxiety, and OCD, so drawing is just my way of trying to cope and deal with it. In fact, until just recently when I got the nerve to put up some of my stuff on here, nobody ever seen anything I drew. Whether digital, pen /paint, pencil paper, etc. Ive always just been too afraid, and also figured nobody would care. So, it’s been healing for me to try sharing. :hugs:

I personally believe that everyone should practice some type of art. No matter skill level or what, it’s just a soothing way to focus. :sunglasses::+1:t2:

Whatever you decide on getting, I’d love to see what you get. :metal:t2:

Oh, side note, whatever you end up getting, just make sure it has Palm Rejection abilities. That way, when you’re drawing, it doesn’t try to pick up your palm resting on the screen. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

giphy

And thank you to everyone for the kind words and comments.
Love you guys.

7 Likes

Great job! It was really interesting to see the progressions. I guess I’ve never really thought about how someone actually proceeds when drawing something like this.

6 Likes

Thank you for giving me so much detail in your reply! I got a little crazy today and bought this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PCCC7R/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AABH22FTN87KM&psc=1 since it was $80 off and I’ve heard great things about it. Do let me know what you think about these types of screens! I wanted to get something specifically for digital drawing rather than like an iPad or Tablet because I’ve heard they aren’t as good as something like this, idk though I’m a noobie. I’m a little scared lol but super excited to get into digital drawing as I used to draw a lot on paper and it would help me greatly with my depression as well.

I would love love love to get some pointers from you because you’ve got it going on haha

6 Likes

I would have bought the character more if she started out not talking but picked it up along the way

5 Likes

Oh sweet!!!
I love it.
I can’t wait to see the awesome stuff you’re gonna put out with that. :sunglasses::+1::metal:t3:

I’d be more than happy to help in any way I can.
I’m not that good, but just enjoy doing it.

4 Likes

Haha I’m so exciiited!!

Oookay, well in my eyes you are phenomenal lol. Do you ever watch video tutorials and what not? (If so, maybe you can link me your favs?) Thinking youtube will be my best friend while I’m learning the ins and outs

3 Likes

I think the point may be here that you can’t be described as… bad.

3 Likes

I’m always impressed by your art. I’ve thought for a while it would be fun to try digital drawing, and have looked into tablets to use with the computer. But I think I’ll have to try drawing on my iPad some, if this is the kind of art that can be created with it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks guys for the kind words. I used to draw alot when i was younger, then life slapped me up side the face, and I stopped for many, many years.
Only in the past few months have I started getting back into it, trying to find something to help the anxiety and stuff.

As far as videos, I don’t really watch any drawing videos. I’m normally watching either a superhero show or a documentary.
I have watched some YouTube vids on specific methods to do things in the Procreate app, but that’s pretty much it.

Although, I do love watching Jim Lee on YouTube. He’s always been my favorite comic artist, hands down.

:+1:t2:

In my humble opinion, theres so many cool things you can do with digital art.

I still have an unadulterated love of pencil and paper, or ink /paint…
There’s something so sweet about the smell of a good sketch pencil. :hugs:

But i also adore the ability to have my iPad and Apple Pencil with me wherever I go.

The younger me would have been so jealous of my ipad. :rofl:

5 Likes

Well I’m happy to see you’ve gotten back into it! It’s very therapeutic for sure.

Can’t wait to talk more about this! :scream:

5 Likes

How’s it going on the drawing?

2 Likes

Impressive as always, glad you are enjoying it again.

4 Likes

Looking back at this now: I like that you had enough patience to create the city first while Batgirl was just sitting there all empty haha. My brain would be like noooooo let’s finish Batgirl first :sob:

Also question, why is your rough sketch in purple/pink? Wondering if it’s just like a preference thing or if it helps you with your lineart since it’s a different color than black?

7 Likes

haha, thanks for the kind words my friend @LastSon0fMars
Yeah, normally, I will rough sketch in either red or blue.
then when i come in with a final outline, i do it in black. Just learned to do that many years ago while drawing pencil/paper.

And yeah, the buildings started getting pretty tiresome after a while, but I just tried to push through it. Figured if I stopped, I’d never go back and finish them. haha.

Although I’ve been drawing (pencil/paper) my whole life, I only picked up Digital around 3 years ago, when my wife surprised me with an Ipad and Pencil for my bday.

Now I love it.
I still love pencil/paper, but the insane ease of being able to erase, duplicate, rotated, etc… all the fun stuff you can do in digital, that you just can’t easily do with hardcopy… man, its just really nice.

How is your setup working for you?

4 Likes

Oooh okay I’ll definitely make a note to self regarding the sketch coloring!

I agree about digital being amazing lol… undo redo, resize, reshape, ugh yes please lol.

I let you know about my setup in the Iceberg Lounge Fanart thread! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

any other art on the horizen?

3 Likes

Yes

I was in the middle of doing Swamp Thing, but I had to put it on hold. Because my sister-in-law’s company asked me to create several new company logos for them.
So I’m doing that at the moment.
But I’ll upload my swamp thing as soon as i can.
:sunglasses::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Looking forward to it

3 Likes