Big Changes in the Superman Family this July!

What you call a “generic” Superman, I call a “classic” Superman… and it can be argued that both terms are inaccurate. I like that Superman; he’s not at all boring to me.

In any case, I think there is room for more than a single version or take on the character. The “multiverse” approach should allow DC to produce Superman comics, movies and shows for different types of fans. Black Supes on the big screen, married Clark Kent on the CW, Jon in Metropolis and Clark in space in the comics, some out of continuity comics with Superman 78 and Red & Blue. I like where they are with the character now and where they’re seemingly taking him. Sounds like it’s gonna be a (potentially) fun ride.

1 Like

@moro

No, mine is accurate. :relaxed:

Generic: having no particularly distinctive quality or application.

That’s Superman today. Because where is his billion dollar movie? Where is his Game of Thrones-level television series. Where is his 100,000-plus selling comic?

And classic denotes “serving as a standard of excellence.”

That’s not really Superman today. There’s nothing really all that excellent going on with Superman right now.

No, I know what you mean. I’m just having fun.

But yeah, the Multiverse is the way to go. Definitely.

I know some are critical of it and say that Warner Bros. and DC have no plan, and are just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

It’s like, no, that’s the plan. :relaxed:

They’re trying everything in order to see what works. Because what they’ve been doing since '78 with the movies ain’t been hitting that hard.

And the comics… in 1966 Batman was beating Superman at the comic stands with over 800,000 to Superman’s 700,000 – that was the first time that ever happened.

By '68 though order was restored and Superman was back at the top at over 600,000, and Batman was back to where he’s supposed to be, behind Superman. :laughing:

And I kid, Batman fans… kind of.

I think it was sometime in the early 70s when Marvel and Spider-Man took over and haven’t really looked back since.

And I believe Batman became the boss at DC at around Frank Miller and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS time. And Batman hasn’t looked back since. And John Byrne’s reboot couldn’t get Superman over the top for long.

But yep, Warner Bros. and DC I guess are now in the process of this era’s attempt at trying everything under the sun in order to prop up the last son of Krypton.

Before they tried that by rebooting him, and killing him, and marrying him.

Now… let’s go with his ridiculously aged-up son in the comics, Green Acres Superman on TV, and go with a Black Superman in the movies.

It’s going to work this time… maybe. :relaxed:

EDIT:

And y’know… after about a week after the news, I think I’m going to pass on SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL.

After thinking about it there’s just way too much baggage going on there. I mean, good god. I can’t in good consciousness read something like that. :relaxed:

So just SUPERMAN '78 for me.

And I’ll wait for the next real Superman reboot in the comics, whenever that happens… years from now or whenever.

EDIT 10/18/21 (again):

So a week after the bisexual news…

And having actually bothered reading the comics, I actually like the Social Justice Warrior angle that they’re doing with. I can get into that.

So I guess I’m back onboard.

1 Like

I like this line (bolded) from the latest issue of DC Connect:

Readers have watched Jonathan Kent turn into a young man over the last several years, including his adventures in the 30th century being trained by the Legion of SuperHeroes. Now it’s time for him to step up in his own home time, as his father, Clark Kent, sees he is needed elsewhere. It’s not so much of a passing of the cape as it is growing the family business.

Kinda helps me understand this change better.

2 Likes

Agreed. Looks like Clark is about to embark on some really big adventure off world. Hoping it’s as epic as they’re making it sound.

2 Likes