Beware The Batman

If there is one show I want DC Universe to add and revive it’s Beware the Batman. It is such an underrated gem and contribution to the Batman lore that takes a lot from the dark but campy tone of the Grant Morrison run on Batman. I think it did a great job at showing how vast Batman’s library is and thrived on telling stories with obscure villains who you’d think could have never carried one to begin with. I would have loved for them to have introduced a full-fledged Outsiders team (Katana and Metamorpho were already on the show), Robin, and a few other characters

10 Likes

I agree that this show should be added here at DC Universe, that being said, this iteration of Batman was definitely my least favorite. Did it even make it to a second season?

2 Likes

No, it ran for one season sadly.

I enjoyed this show quite a bit. You’ve an Alfred who was more action oriented and the guy that played Batman (Anthony Ruivar, or something close if that’s not correct) was good too.

Katana and Metamorpho are welcome in anything and one of the best aspects were the appearances of Batman rogues that were either rarely seen in animation or made their debut in it here (Professor Pyg for example). Fun show that’d I’m all for seeing on DCU.

2 Likes

*that

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I know a lot of people that did. Maybe if they put it on here I’ll give it a second chance.

1 Like

Yes this is my favorite batman show I have ever watched(I have not watched the BTAS) I want them to add it in. Plus I always had a theory that this and Green Lantern the animated series were in the same universe.

Yes this is my favorite batman show I have ever watched(I have not watched the BTAS) I want them to add it in. Plus I always had a theory that this and Green Lantern the animated series were in the same universe.

1 Like

I want this on here too.

1 Like

I’d love it to come back. As u said, the characters were great, plus the same style art as Glas. Professor Pyg, Humpty Dumpty, Lady Shiva etc. were all more than capable of carrying full episodes w/o the mains. Loved Katana in it too.

1 Like

I’m so glad you created this topic @ANerdWonder, as it gave me a chance to watch this underrated gem. I agree with your review. Beware The Batman is a truly unique and interesting take on The Dark Knight.

Aside from the top notch animation, voice work, and creative styling, it also manages to pull lesser known characters from the Rogues Gallery and introduce them in a meaningful way. Here are some of the small details that I really loved and make it a must-have for my collection:

:batman_hv_1: New! Gold-Trimmed Gadgets & Accessories
The grapple gun is a slim rectangle (which I’ve never seen before) and even the Batarangs and handcuffs are gold! Everything in his arsenal is more equipped to support Batman versus doing the job for him.

:batman_hv_1: Art Deco Wayne Manor
Wayne Manor is decked out in art-deco touches and most shots are aerial view, which showcase the sprawling impeccably managed estate.

:batman_hv_1: Clean and Modern Gotham
This is the city of my dreams! The buildings all have a bluish hue and sleek modern finishes.

:batman_hv_1: Tech Lover’s Batcave
The Batcave holds an amazing super computer and seems more appropriate for training and heavy contemplation. Also note the gold-lined driveway - totally on theme.

:batman_hv_1: DEATHSTROKE!!!

2 Likes

In some ways, that show captures the essence of Batman like no other. Example: Batman has to get into Wayne manor from outside as he’s using a bat glider, knowing full well the manor security has been activated by an outside force. Batman says to the AI in his cowl something along the lines of, “survivability rate of getting in the manor right now.” AI: “27 percent chance of survival.” Batman: “that’s not bad.” Batman soars towards the roof skylight at full speed on the glider as machine gun Tourettes begin firing away, he crashes through the roof and combat rolls out safely to the floor of a hall. Batman: “I need a new security system.” I would imagine that particular Batman mentality needs no explanation to most on this service as to why that show captures Batman as we’ve come to know him​:four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

This is one of the two shows (the other being “Teen Titans GO!”) that killed “Green Lantern: TAS” as well as “Young Justice”. It’s also not even close to the level of quite a few Batman properties, especially Batman TAS and Batman Beyond, so I never lost any sleep over its cancellation.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it. I want to! I read a really good comic based on it once…

2 Likes

You must check it out @TheBatgirlofNML!

Do you remember which comic it was that you read?

2 Likes

I would but I can’t find it and I’m too cheap to order it (a recurring pattern with me).

I don’t remember which comic it was (or the plot). All I remember of it was ‘It was good. Katana was cool. She had a doppelganger.’ I have the comic series on my reading list but it’s pretty far down there.

2 Likes

Is this the one @TheBatgirlofNML - based on the show? If not, maybe you’ll be able to dig it out of your list sometime.

2 Likes

That’s the one! I only read the one issue. Maybe I’ll have a read-along one day!

2 Likes

Beware the Batman was a fun take on Batman. It’s too bad it was too mature for Cartoon Network and that they did not show it on a regular basis. Also sad that they burned off the last of the episodes at 2:00 am in the morning. I’m glad I picked up the blu-rays from Warner Archive.

3 Likes