Best Way to Read

I’m a fourteen year old and live under my parents’ budget. I don’t want to spend all of their money and the best closest comic store is in the city, an hour away. What is the best way to read comic issues without driving all of the way out just to see that the issue I need isn’t in stock?

9 Likes

Wait a year for it to come here. :wink:

If you’re wanting to read them in print, then get a subscription:

https://subscriptions.dccomics.com/

8 Likes

I have no car or money. I read everything on here only. Except for 1 friend who drops me off 12-15 issues of whatever he’s reading. He used to drop off 1-2 & I’d return em in like 2hrs. So he started waiting til he had around 12-15 b4 he dropped em off lol. I have 3 that DCU sent me for Community hero. I’d almost forgot how cool it was to actually flip the pages. Great ones too.

5 Likes

I try to physically own comics I buy. If I buy it, I don’t want to not actually own it. But it’s really hard to go out and buy comics, especially since it takes forever for issues to be put in graphic novel form. I don’t want to order off amazon anymore because I ordered a Daredevil comic, but it arrived in bad condition. The spine was all bent and ripped. We sent it back and ordered another one but it got here in even worse condition. I’m not really sure what to do.

3 Likes

That’s a bummer. I only order figs now. I sold all my comics in the late 80’s. I had no way of knowing how much they would be worth as compared to figs & I wanted to collect figs. W/O Google around or the net there were only guides. All the ones I sold at that time weren’t worth what they are now. I empathize with u. I’d rather own them physically too. I bought a ton of figs when I had a good job financially, but not in any other way. I had to quit cuz the treatment was unbearable. Of course, I broke the golden rule of never quitting a job w/o having another lined up. Then to add insult to injury my car died maybe 4 days after I quit. Now I’ve gotta find a job I can get to w/o a car. I still don’t regret quitting tho. They treated employees like dirt.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry about your situation. I hope that the job thing gets taken care of. It would be hard to work for someone if they don’t respect you. I have a teacher this year who treats our class like crap and gives us more work than her other 4 classes. I thought that she was just mean to everyone, but then I learned that she is really nice to the other classes and her Beta Club and Scholars Bowl kids. She apparently just really dislikes us for no apparent reason. I wanted to try out for Scholars Bowl but I forgot to, then I realized that she was the leader and knew that I had dodged a bullet. But that is just school, not real work life.

2 Likes

Almost forgot. I ordered off the shop on here & the packaging was incredible. That was for figs. Also, when DCU sent me those 3 comics it was the same deal. They arrived in perfect condition.

2 Likes

It’s ok. I manage but I appreciate it. That’s terrible that said teacher would treat students unfairly. My dad is a retired teacher & 1 of my sisters is currently a teacher. I couldn’t imagine them ever being that way.

2 Likes

@JasonToddGod I highly recommend the following two websites:

Discount Comic Book Service (DCBS)

https://www.dcbservice.com/

In Stock Trades (IST)

https://www.instocktrades.com/

Both are run by the same parent company. DCBS focuses on single issues and you can preorder from the previews catalog. IST focuses on collected editions. Both offer great discounts and bulletproof packing. I’m more familiar with IST which offers DC Trades at 42% off regularly and more on weekly sales.

I gave up on Amazon because of their poor packing like you experienced. I also like supporting a small business that is focused on and truly loves comics. Try them out and you won’t be disappointed. :+1:

6 Likes

I second this as well as Midtown Comics. https://www.midtowncomics.com/

I definitely prefer physical issues but it’s not always easy. I recommend trying out ComiXology in tandem with DCU (and Marvel Unlimited if you want their back catalogue). It’s so convenient and if you just want to read the stories, it’s perfect.

3 Likes

Also, create a pull list at your LCS! That’ll ensure the issues you want will be there when you want to pick them up.

3 Likes

If you want to buy comics from that store in particular, you could see if the shop owners can hold the series you’re wanting for you. The guys at my local store do this for their customers. I’d come in monthly to get my stuff and sometimes my sister’s. They’ve told me about how they held stuff for customers who only come in bi-monthly or quarterly.

Maybe you can work something out at your store.

4 Likes

I remember the struggle of living an hour away from a book store and limited budget. I feel ya

4 Likes

I haven’t read the comments above to see if someone’s recommended this yet, but the library has probably saved me close to a thousand dollars in books that I would have bought (and I’ve only been reading comics for just under two years now). It stinks not being able to own them, but if your not sure if you’re going to like a series or if you want to try the first couple of volumes out, there is no better way to get books. Would highly recommend checking out your local library.

3 Likes

Wait wait wait!! Another kid!! I’m 15 with a parent budget! I really thought I was the only kid on here, other than my friend group.

4 Likes

You’d be surprised. There’s a fair amount of users under 18. I’m 17, and have been on the app since launch (so I was 15 then).

3 Likes

Wow. It’s amazing about how DC can vary in ages like this. I usually feel like there isn’t many people my age that likes comics as much as me. I never get to really talk about the new issue of “Batman” or “Action comics.” It’s just nice to know how there is people like me, at my age, as big as comic fans as me. So cool.

3 Likes

I feel that, mate. That’s what the community’s for :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks.

4 Likes

Wait, I haven’t even helped you yet. I say you use witch ever one you think best fits you for the moment. If you want to find a new series, try separate issues. When you want complete series, and can’t get a graphic novel, use DC universe. It helps you have all of the series at once.

4 Likes