Best Term From DC Comics

DC Comics has created several terms. Which is your favorite?

• Grife
  • Shway
  • Crash
  • Mode/Moded
  • Bastich
  • Brainiac
  • Poozer

0 voters

3 Likes

Figure my least favorite is “figure.”

3 Likes

Either Whelmed or Aster

2 Likes

I forgot an “other” option! Sorry!

2 Likes

That’s fine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

My faves: whelmed, hench, shway.

What is ‘grife’ from? and how is it pronounced?

3 Likes

impulse, legion of superheroes, and i think impulse says it in some flash comics

like a growl (grrr) and rhymes with knife (-ife)

grife

3 Likes

thanks. that’s how ‘grife’ sounded in my head. i wanted to be sure.

Also, thanks for spelling shway without the ‘c’.

3 Likes

Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be

2 Likes

some people spell it ‘sChway’. I was one of them for a while. then the ‘c’ became problematic for me.

3 Likes

Brainiac has become a common usage term these days, used typically in a derogatory manner.

Gotta go with the 'wog and say “Poozer.”

2 Likes

I didn’t think Brainiac was derogatory in any way…

Maybe not always, but more often than not, I hear it used in the same format as calling someone “Einstein.” Something clumsy or they make a mistake of some kind and get, “Nice move, Braniac.”

1 Like

Other than these ones:

Whelmed, I wrote a little song/poem once building on one of Dick’s quotes to get some stuff off my chest about my social and general anxiety. Also when I woke up after getting my wisdom teeth out, the very first thing I said (in response to my mom asking how I felt) was just “whelmed” lmao. I also kept calling my room my Batcave and at one point said it was “aster” and then said how “it’s like disaster without the dis” lmao. Also saw a post once from a military vet who had just gotten a “stay whelmed” tattoo and he said using it as a sort of mantra really helped and continues to help him with PTSD.

Tangentially related, I also sometimes use character names or other things as my own little shorthand for phenomenon/tropes or archetypes. My DC ones are mainly:
When a character reveals they’re already quite aware of another character’s secret identity (especially when the latter has been debating with themselves for a while and finally decide to share their secret identity with the former only for the former to be like “yeah, duh, I been knew”), I like to say they “Tim Drake’d” them.
When a young superhero grows up and decides to break off on their own and take up a new name and persona, I tend to refer to it as their “Nightwing name”
I’ve also referred to Stephanie Brown as being “Schrodinger’s Robin” due to how sometimes she gets counted as a Robin and sometimes she doesn’t (mainly because of how short her time as Robin was). I have noticed two separate instances in the last few years, though, where DC themselves have officially recognized her as a Robin alongside the boys, so that may be changing and I, for one, very much welcome that. Fragg, it could be interesting to see her as Robin revisited somehow, given just how short it was. Wouldn’t mind her as Batgirl being revisited, too, actually. I quite liked the dynamic of Babs as Oracle working with and teaching the new generation of Batgirl while Dick as Grayson Batman was also working with and teaching the new generation of Robin (Damian) and the two Dynamic Duos continually getting in each others’ way, tripping each other up, and annoying each other (especially Damian annoying Steph like a frustrating, bratty kid brother annoying his college aged sister lmao).

1 Like