Best Silver Age DC Comics

I know this period of the dc universe was a weird one but they are still fun to read after you have read a serious modern comic so what’s your fav? Mine is doom patrol

6 Likes

I would suggest

Go to Comics
Filter by Era
Select Silver Age
A small group of Titles emerge

Choose from
Showcase
Brave and Bold
Flash
Justice League

Julie Schwartz would work with the assigned writers to think up.the cover first.

Imagine being a kid in.rhe 1960s

Just pick.an issue with a cover you like

Quality stories

Are

Brave and Bold Hawkman

Flash covers with.both Silver and Golden Age FLashes

Look.for Fun Teamups
Flash and Elongated Man
Flash.and Green.Lantern

Look. at Early Flash
For stories of his Rogues Gallery

Silly Covers
Flash thinking he has been turned into. a puppet

In general.Flash stories that do not meet these criteria are boring especially alien invasion.stories

Justice league
The three Brave and Bold stories
The first three issues of Justice League
Covers with the Justice Society
Any cover that intrigues yoo.

7 Likes

Challengers of the Unknown

6 Likes

Best Silver Age DC Comics? You might as well ask me to count to infinity. I will defer to the master @TurokSonOfStone1950 and wildly concur with his reading list.

6 Likes

Adventure Comics featuring The Legion of Superheroes. It was Justice League, but with the volume knob turned to 11.

Silver Age Flash is a close second. (Damn how I miss the cosmic treadmill today. It was possibly the greatest plot device DC has ever invented.)

Always loved the Silver Age Atom as well.

Those are my top 3

Pretty much anything from the Silver Age that wasn’t Superman or Batman won’t disappoint They were boring in the Silver Age, IMO.

6 Likes

Hate to copycat but Doom Patrol also. It’s my perfect mixture of weird & fascinating. Much like Loeb/Sales Challengers of the Unknown.

3 Likes

Okay I admit it was a weird time and I think to really understand Silver age comics you had to be there. I love pretty much everything Silver age largely because I was a kid with a limited budget and limited access to comics at the time. Eight year old me could never have imagined that sixty year-old me would have access to every comic that I wanted from my childhood but couldn’t afford. Having said that the Brave and the Bold is very good. I also have to give some love to Teen Titans from the 60’s. The stories haven’t aged well but oh my god do they nail exactly what the world seemed like to a grade school kid in that era.

5 Likes

The more I think about it the more I would have to agree with @DeSade-acolyte about The Legion of Super-Heroes being the best DC Silver Age comic. It was crazy fun with all its alien members, strange and exotic settings and a ton of Curt Swan art. And unlike many other DC comics of the period, it came out every month. Along with Action Comics (Superman), Detective Comics (Batman), Adventure Comics: Featuring Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes was a bedrock constant in a wide-eyed ten-year-old’s world. Long Live The Legion!

5 Likes

I gotta like which brought me here but I gotta say. After as long as it’s been since that post. Every single answer is right? Imho….?

4 Likes

“The Most Dangerous Earth,” the first appearance of The Crime Syndicate.

6 Likes

DC Silver Age is my favorite era of comics. The Superman line leads the way with Superman, Action, Superboy, Supergirl, Jimmy and Lois. And then the team ups JLA, Legion and World’s Finest. I love Flash and Atom. Green Lantern is good. Aquaman was shockingly good when I first came across it. Metamorpho, Challengers of the Unknown, Metal Men,Adam Strange, J’onn J’onzz, the list just goes on and on.

6 Likes

@CaptainYesterday: Silver Age Aquaman was “shockingly good” thanks to author Bob Haney and artist Nick Cardy. Along with Superman, Batman, and The L.S.H., The King of the Seven seas was one of my favorite books back in the “swingin’ sixties”. Aquaman doing his best 007 impersonations in issue #31’s “O.G.R.E. Strikes Back!” Groovy comics, man!

3 Likes

I like the Bernstein/ Fradon era in Adventure Comics even more.

4 Likes

My Silver Age reading isn’t very extensive, but I’m finding Green Lantern to be surprisingly fun. John Broome was ahead of his time in a few ways, and of course Gil Kane’s art is excellent. But it’s still silly enough to be charming.

5 Likes

All the pseudoscience Flash and Green Lantern stories were authored by Gardner Fox, and all the outlandish, fun stories were written by John Broome. Also, John Broome infused his stories with characterizations that made his heroes a little more human. Hal Jordan wanted desperately to win the love of Carol Ferris as plain old Hal and not the dashing Green Lantern.

4 Likes

Adventure Comics with Superboy and the Legion of Superheros!!!

5 Likes

I have to throw in another vote for Doom Patrol! I read the entire Silver age run last year and it is really good.

5 Likes

Welcome back to the community @wvp! Great choice. :grinning:

Please feel free to let the moderator team know if you need anything!

3 Likes

Doom Patrol
Justice League of America by Gardner Fox

Everything that had the go-go checks on the top of the covers between '66 and '68.

4 Likes

The covers of these comics are some of the most gorgeous in the 60s.

3 Likes