Best Political DC Comics?

Twitter and youtubers love to talk about how s,j,w is ruining comics despite the fact that they’ve always been political(especially watchmen) so I’m wondering what are some of the best political dc comics? And mind sharing screenshots of a political moment in the comic?

5 Likes

Here’s a secret you won’t know until you read Denny O’Neil’s THE QUESTION: it’s actually as much about him as it is about his on-off girlfriend, Myra Fermin, who ends up in a coerced marriage to the mayor, and after he dies, runs to take his place. It’s a story about political power and dirty politics and the impossibility of commanding respect as a woman in a misogynist world.

7 Likes

Sounds beautiful, I’ll be sure to read it one of these days.

1 Like

Its Marvel but its a must read- Squadron Supreme 1985

The Squadron Supreme is based on the Justice League.

From the Amazon page

On an Earth much like our own, the world’s greatest superhuman champions are confronted by a society in ruins. Faced with the possibility of a new dark age for mankind, they choose the only course available to them -and take control of the world’s governments themselves! Now they have one year in which to completely restructure human society. Can their plan succeed? Will a renegade member bring about their downfall? And what will happen when the Earth’s mightiest heroes find themselves becoming instead its all-powerful, totalitarian overlords?

The politics work because it doesn’t talk down to the reader.

6 Likes

One that comes to mind is Mark Russell and Ben Caldwell’s Prez, about a teenaged girl in a near-future world who became a celebrity off a viral video becoming President of the United States. Really good stuff, though sadly it was cancelled in the middle of it’s maxi-series. :frowning:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/prez-2015/987ccfd1-8d89-4e68-903b-5a41be34f483

3 Likes

I’ve heard of them, When I get marvel unlimited ill be sure to read them.

1 Like

Holy crap this is beautiful,ill be sure to check it out just for the art alone

2 Likes

Oh, and if you want a little more, she does have a back-up story in the one-shot Catwoman: Election Night.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/catwoman-election-night-2016-1/1fa545eb-50f7-4e07-9e25-2b183ae449ad/

2 Likes

Back to Mark Russell with Flintstones. He touches on politics, war, religion, marriage everything in a very funny way.

7 Likes

Do I have to read Prez before I read that? Or can I just read that one shot without reading prez.

1 Like

Oh i read that and I absolutely loved it! I also read his sangglepuss comic which I also loved.

2 Likes

Snagglepuss was on my list, but never made it to it before I forgot. Back on to the very long list

3 Likes

Seriously, it still blows my freaking mind that a FLINSTONES comic of all things could do that kind of stuff in such a beautiful, compelling way.

I just gave the Prez stuff a quick read and yeah, it feels pretty standalone. From what I remember, the Catwoman story was also half decent, but definitely not on the same level.

3 Likes

I also enjoyed Prez. The great thing about Russell is that I can disagree with him but never feel like he’s talking down or disparaging my view point.

4 Likes

Russell is also great on WONDER TWINS, which also often carries a political message.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about check out his run on the wonder twins. I might one of these days.

2 Likes

The Dark Knight Returns where an ex-superhero takes on the president of the USA for control of the criminal overworld during the Cold War.

3 Likes

Oh i already that story. I liked it.

1 Like

You might be able to guess from my picture that it is my favorite comic. Ironically I normally hate politics in superheroes, as they are often done to force “controversy.” When the writers go full out, and build a good story for it I usually enjoy it even if I disagree with it.

3 Likes

Man, I can’t believe we’ve gone this far without mentioning the OG DC political comic, Denny O’Neil’s Green Lantern/Green Arrow? Made in the 70s but still feels relevant today!

I’ll also say that Tom King’s work often veers into politics, and I think of the books of his on here, the one that did it best is probably The Omega Men, which is basically an analogy of the Iraq War but with cosmic superheroes.

5 Likes