Best of Grant Morrison

download

What do you guys think is the best Grant Morrison work, I have read most of his work and I want to see what others say is his best work. My personal favorite is his work on The Doom Patrol and Batman. I also like his work with Superman and Animal Man, but these two stand out the most. What do you guys think?

6 Likes

I… liked when he played a news anchor in Mom & Dad.

I really can’t say I’ve enjoyed most of his stuff that I’ve read, though I did definitely love Arkham Asylum and The Multiversity: Mastermen

1 Like
  • I liked All Star Superman. Classic.
  • Wonder Woman Earth One was really good.
  • Batman Inc is on my list of things to read.
  • Multiversity was a really cool concept. Enjoyed it despite not understanding half of it.
  • I have a love hate relationship with his current GL run. Requires multiple reads on my part to make sense of things. Currently it’s dropped off my pull list, but I have a feeling I might go back to it. It’s weird in a good way (Liam Sharp’s art really makes it stand out)… but difficult to understand.

Overall, I like his writing when it’s more accessible… when he’s not dealing with higher concepts and just telling a story that focuses on the characters. When he ventures outside of that, reading his stuff becomes a bit of chore for me.

7 Likes

I’ve liked a lot of his stuff, although sometimes I think he gets so lost in the strange mazes that live inside his head that I end up being the one lost.

I would have to say my favorite is Seven Soldiers. Separate miniseries telling their own stories while also interweaving to tell a more epic tale. Really well done.

7 Likes

This :point_up_2:

2 Likes

JLA by far. It made me a Morrison fan and remains my #1 favorite comic output of his.

Outside of DC, his New X-Men run was great. That and Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men (mentioned because it was the best post-Morrison X-book) were badass.

8 Likes

You have now been concurred with.

5 Likes

Heard enough about that run to really want to check it out. Mental note to add to never ending list of stuff to read.

2 Likes

I personally don’t like his latest work as for me he has gone overboard with weirdness and complexity. He’s generally readable but I don’t think I have loved anything by him since JLA.

1 Like

Animal Man! Animal Man! Animal Man!

The Invisibles
We3
JLA
Doom Patrol

2 Likes

Doom Patrol
JLA
Seven Soldiers

3 Likes

I’ve heard about We3, Could you tell me more about it.

2 Likes

Robot pets who do spy stuff. Drawn by Frank Quitely. In other words: a dream come true.

It’s a toss up between him and Brian Michael Bendis, but Grant Morrison might be my favorite comic writer. Really, the only stuff he’s done that I haven’t at least liked are Arkham Asylum (“The REAL asylum is on the OUTSIDE!”) and The Filth. Everything else ranges from good to literally my favorite thing I’ve ever read.

1 Like

New X-Men is excellent. I read the first half of Astonishing and really liked it, but, well, time…

1 Like

It’s a 3 issue story about Bandit, Tinker, and Pirate (a dog, cat, and bunny of course). It’s about lots of things considering it’s short and light on dialogue. Read it for sure! Remember, Morrison has been a vegetarian for a million years. It ain’t preachy though.

1 Like

My favorite is The Invisibles, which is probably my all-time favorite comic series.

I haven’t read a lot of his pre-DC British stuff and my reading of Klaus, Heavy Metal, and his Hindu comics are a little spotty, but I have read just about every other thing he has written that has been published in America. I am a full-on Grant Morrison nut and I find something amazing to like in all of it.

In addition to the great stuff mentioned in posts above, Seven Soldiers is a pretty great read with some phenomenal artists working with him.

1 Like

My favorite Morrison work is probably Doom Patrol, but it’s followed closely by All Star Superman. I also have a special place in my heart for Seven Soldiers.

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys

I also havent read The Invisibles yet, but I do hope to read it too. I also agree with ThrakBalzak, Doom Patrol is his best work