Best DC Couples & Ships

Who are your favorite couples/ships? Whether they’re well known or not, canon or just a ship, who are they?

7 Likes

My favorite will always be Harley and Ivy. :poison_eyebrowhqtas: :heart: :harley_thinkhqtas:

7 Likes

I think my username gives away my OTP…

8 Likes

rn my favorite canon couple is Tim & Bernard

3 Likes

Batman and Catwoman and The Question and Huntress are my favorites.

6 Likes

oh really? :joy:

4 Likes

And if we’re also doing character’s from other properties I think Daredevil and Huntress would be pretty great.

5 Likes

Jason and his wife.

9 Likes

SuperPulse

2 Likes

wow. you just cannot be stopped.

2 Likes

I ship it! Don’t judge me.

Hate me cuz you ain’t me! snaps fingers

Oh god I’m so sorry

2 Likes

wtf :joy:
to be clear, this isn’t me judging, this is me still being upset at how much sense it makes lmao

3 Likes

giphy (8)

2 Likes

lmao i think you’re trying to defuse the situation by showing a gif from one of my favorite movies

3 Likes

You watch Elf too!!!

My dad and I walk into the Mara’s near my house every year and scream “Congratulations! World’s best cup of coffee!”

None of the workers ever understand the reference!

3 Likes

Elf has been one of my favorite movies since I was in elementary school lol
one time someone called me and I answered by saying “Buddy the Elf, What’s your favorite color?” and the person didn’t understand the reference so it was awkward

3 Likes

Midnighter + Buddy the Elf is now one of my ships…

You see what you do?!?!?!

2 Likes

how did I cause this to happen???

3 Likes

So interesting thread and the kind of thing that deserves a interesting comment.

Here is an old newsletter from the JSI comic #43 that had people talk about the Despero arc which is the most unusual because the series got dark and more serious. In one particular letter someone mentioned that seeing Gypsy was cool and they hope to see more interaction with Martian Manhunter and usually that’s fine, but they added a interesting point toward the end of that sentence.

Now…when I read it I was like, wow.

To be fair on this person, a lot of creators did certain plots where let’s call them “thought experiments” like the one he mentioned.
A few particular examples being Alan Moore, Chris Claremont, Steven Eagleheart. Even Keith Griffin wrote this pretty horrible line for Gardner to the teenage Cindy Reynolds (after her parents were murdered)

Was it pervy? well, yeah. It was. But understand that besides being from a different era most of these writers were self aware enough to know what they were doing. We aren’t looking at some Gerald Jones situation here.

Now let me be even more clear. While Martian Manhunter and Gypsy are definitely a unique duo, as a fan of both characters I’ll say it right now that I personally never read it as romantic.
J’onn has friends, he has good friends, but I can tell you even among the trinity or individual people in the league their wasn’t one friendship he had as close as he had than with Gypsy. In the Detroit era, Gypsy was a Spunky teenager, a person who kept her identity largely a secret from the others and who later became particularly good friends with Martian Manhunter afterwards when helping solve a mystery involving his persona being charged with murder.
There particular friendship was cemented in that besides Vixen, she was the last of the original young heroes who survived after the Detroit team was systematically killed off by Professor Ivo. She would of course would come back again during the JLI Despero arc when Despero came for Gypsy. J’onn would come to her aid and promise to always protect her.

From that moment on J’onn relationship with her was that of familial bond, something entirely unique for them. It works so well because J’onn is usually a stoic and serious kind of hero, Gypsy is his opposite, she’s more lively and energetic compared to him and in a way challenges his more cold demeanor usually in funny or heartwarming ways.

Nevertheless it’s also funny because she is more cynical compared to him on other things like her seeing a enamored Sue and Ralph Dibny and being annoyed by thoughts of a loving marriage

Or watching a romantic drama with Wonder-woman, Vixen, and Maxima and laughing at the movie for being superficial and lame.

Screenshot_20221114_234346

It’s like she spoke with her inside voice all the time and thats what made me love their dynamic in those years. :laughing:

The way I saw it I had always think their relationship as one akin to platonic soulmates, the kind of friendship that is close as one can get without being explicitly romantic. I just wanted to add this slight tangent as it’s not exactly a topic that could seemingly fit into many discussions.

4 Likes

I was totally debating whether I should add another comment here again but I thought why the hell not, it’s just for fun :laughing:.

I think I’m liking Nubia of the Amazons and Martian Manhunter together. I got the impression that they are quite similar individuals as both are really just two outsiders from utopian homelands with a introspective view of a materialistic and patriarchal world they now inhabit.

I got to love their few interactions together and hope one day it might amount to something romantic in the future.

3 Likes