Best DC Comic Crisis/Event?

I chose COIE. It’s the best. I generally dislike event books.

3 Likes

I think we should go back to Baxter paper. I’m not that fancy. Sell me a $2 comic printed on $2 paper by a $2 artist (Perez, Byrne, Jurgens). I’m cool with that.

2 Likes

Legends. It’s short. It’s focused.

4 Likes

What you have now is Baxter paper and it’s further developed paper stock type. It’s important to note that any number of artists work wouldn’t be compatible with the slightly heavier newsprint(OG paper) of the COIE and earlier eras. One thing to notice as you go back and look at bronze, silver, & golden age comics is how many items characters & objects had to have a black ink outline to keep colors from running during printing. The use of OG paper would put a burden if not be a severe detriment to plenty of artists today. Personally, even if they did it once a year, I’d love to see comics do a technology “throwback” issue. Let people, artists and consumers, see just what life was like 35-40 years ago in such a print medium.

3 Likes

Also, does anyone else like Underworld Unleashed? I just read it today and I really liked it.

2 Likes

I didn’t know the stuff now was still Baxter paper. I always thought of Baxter paper as the sturdier stuff that was a step up from newspaper. I clearly know squat about the paper involved. I’m also interested in art as a not so close second to the writing. Bone is one of my favorite series. Superman could have all of the detail of Peanuts as long as the story is good. I do know that whatever the paper is now doesn’t impress me much. Feels over glossed and like it’s going to melt in my hands like edible rice paper. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Today it’s a variant of Baxter paper. Which was the first paper to be used that wasn’t newsprint. Camelot 3000 was the first DC book ever printed on Baxter paper. It was a higher quality stock, and was less likely to bleed from edge lines and could allow deeper colors without “bleeding through” to the backside of the paper. It also allowed some types of inks to be laid down directly next to each other, and wounding run/bleed into the other color, (Allowing say a purple line to be right next to a gold line without the need for a black line to separate them. As printing technologies evolved so did paper. You don’t actually see Baxter paper today, but variants that grew up around it. I haven’t really done a paper comparison today. It wouldn’t surprise me if comics are laser printed today, as large scale, industrial laser type printers have been in use for many years. Time Magazine started to use industrial laser printers in the 2000’s, for example. Paper used on those is different than Baxter paper, as the method of laying down ink is vastly different the 4 color printing ink printing of the past. You can print a page in a single pass, rather than having to essentially print the same page 4 times. Running it through Black, than Cyan, Yellow & Magenta. Industrial printing technologies have changed a lot over the last 25-30 years and paper have evolved as well in response to those changes.

2 Likes

I could see it being laser printed. I know the “ink” bleeds from my body heat when I read Marvel titles. Sometimes. It doesn’t feel premium like my old The Outsiders titles.

2 Likes

New Krypton or Crisis on Earth-X are my favorites.

Of the listed ones, Crisis on Infinite Earths, no contest.

4 Likes

I have to go with 52. Not only for the praise already listed above, but for its masterful achievement of taking several smaller heroes (and villains) and making you care about every single one. Not only is it a good event, it’s a good story. 2nd place goes to Final Crisis; Grant Morrison is absolutely insane and I love it.
-M

3 Likes

One of the few for Metal. Really just enjoyed it. (Also a bit Metal hyped for the sequel). COIE was amazing and the only other crisis I read. Still planning on getting to the others.

1 Like

IDENTITY CRISIS showed the true humanity of its characters in a way that is rare in comics.

That pure murder mystery remains my favorite. Nothing earth-shattering; just a puzzle amidst tragedy,

3 Likes

I liked it a lot. It’s not a Crisis level event, but I liked the idea of “the Devil” upgrading villains to tempt the heroes for their souls. Sadly, none of the upgrades lasted, but the mini series itself was great.

2 Likes