Best Comic E-reader?

What do y’all think is the best e-reader for comics?

I want to buy the new Lois Lane series, but I don’t know where I should get it.

• My favorite reader used to be Nook, because I could use it in my Surface for the bigger screen.
  • Now I use Kindle cuz it’s easier to find comics, but I can only read them on my phone and it’s just not the same.
  • I’ve used Google Play once. Seemed better, but I’ve very little experience with it.

Any opinions?

2 Likes

I’m very happy with my iPad (7th Gen, I think. Whatever is the latest in stores.) just a base 32GB version. I only use it for messaging, email, and DCU. I have a bulky but highly protective case on it, cuz of hand issues sometimes I drop things. With a normal case, it’s very lightweight. The 10.2 Retina display has been great for reading comics. I had an old iPad mini and the screen wasn’t nearly big enough.

I looked at kindle fire & google tablet, iPad was the easiest. I can download music and use it as a streaming device if I wanted, AppleTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Nick hits, and I’m am sure Disney+ but haven’t given the house of mouse money yet.

As a display for comics it’s a great screen size, almost the dimensions of a real comic book. I looked around for several months and decided on the iPad. (I also have an iPhone and a MacBook so all the integration is real easy, even watching stuff from my media server. A 8+ year old Mac mini. I manage all my media via iTunes, so that makes it easy as well.

STD cheapest full size screen iPad 32GB MSRP $329.00
That’s my recommendation, got mine in November and my comics consumption is way up.

3 Likes

Have to agree with iPad. You have the option of reading a page at a time at essentially the same scale as a printed comic, or the panel-by-panel. Any smaller and reading it “as designed” gets harder.

3 Likes

Honestly, so long as the resolution is okay and you can read the comic without having to strain your eyes or switch to (ugh) guided view, anything’ll work fine. Like @DeSade-acolyte, I use a relatively recent iPad that’s an inch or three smaller than a standard comic page.

2 Likes

I’m with everybody else. I have a 6th generation iPad 128MB I got on sale for $329. Good size, great resolution, and I use it 99% of the time rather than my Windows 10 PC. Surf the web and e-mail all from the comfort of my couch along with DCU.

If you do buy comics digitally, go for platform neutral, like ComiXology or Kindle (both owned by Amazon) rather than iBooks or Nook which are tied to the hardware. With ComiXology & Kindle you can read on Android, MAC, and PC.

2 Likes

Thank you all! You’ve been very helpful. :slight_smile:

This helped me clear up some of my doubts, so now I’ll enjoy reading the comics more. I don’t think I’ll buy an ipad soon, but now I have a great point of reference and can compare the reading experience to the Surface I’ve been using.

The Kindle for PC isn’t really my favorite, but I can read comics online through Comixology like I do with the comics on the DC Universe site.

Thanks again! If anyone else has other things they like or have tried I’m also open to hearing those out.

1 Like

Does ComiXology support iPad?

2 Likes

Yes it does.

Comixology even has a “DC Comics” app, that is just DC. Whatever you buy from the Comixology store shows up on that app.

I use a 10.5" iPad pro. Great experience.

2 Likes

Yes, the app is available. Amazon doesn’t want to give up the 30% cut Apple demands for in app purchases so you need to buy on the website, but that doesn’t bother me. I shop their weekly sales because of the fantastic deals.

2 Likes

Seriously… I almost never pay full price for collected editions on Comixology.

2 Likes

Me neither! ComiXology trades for $5.99. I bought all the Nu52 and Rebirth Batman trades on sale. I also buy from In Stock Trades for my physical books and they offer 42% off on DC & Marvel, and specials of 50% off.

4 Likes

Since DC Universe and Marvel Unlimited I buy almost zero comics from Comixology or Dark Horse.

1 Like

I prefer Comixolgy and DCU on my iPhone.

3 Likes

@moro @TravisMorgan

Thanks got the info. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

I don’t see it mentioned, but if you buy comics from amazon in most cases they give you a copy for kindle and comixology.

3 Likes

As in buy a physical copy and they give you digital?

1 Like

@moro I think @50710 is talking about Amazon Kindle purchases being linked to to ComiXology. I bought a bunch of trades on Kindle because they were $2-3 each. The kindle reader wasn’t as good as ComiXology, but hey, they were cheap. A few months after Amazon bought ComiXology I got and e-mail that I could read them on ComiXology. They show up as From Kindle. I just used a $5 off coupon from Amazon and got East of West Vol. 9 for $2 and it shows up in ComiXology with its superior reader.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Though Amazon having 2 different outlets for digital comics with different prices, that can be read on both apps seems… sketchy :joy:

1 Like

Amazon was offering crazy discounts for a while, like $0.99 for newly released trades. They stopped after comic stores complained to the publishers and the publishers then put a stop to the loss leaders. That’s why I have 85 trades from Amazon. :grinning:

1 Like