Best Batman Story Of All Time? (Comics, Movies, Games, etc.)

I don’t think DKR is the “best” comic ever. Obviously, the “best” is going to be highly subjective.

Regardless, with close to 100 years of comics to choose from, I’d be surprised if the “objectively best” comic was created in the past few decades. With creators like Hal Foster, Carl Barks, Wally Wood, etc., I’m sure Frank Miller would be flattered by the suggestion that he wrote ther best comic ever. But even he would admit, there were stories he pulled inspiration from. Stories which he considered better than his own.

It’s obvious Miller was hugely inspired by the works of Chester Gould, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, and the like. But beyond that, there are dozens of Golden Age creators who were pumping out massively influential stories. Stories which were so strong, they launched an industry that has been surviving and striving for almost 100 years.

2 Likes

I’ll tell you this The Dark Knight Returns animated movie is my all time favorite DC movie Peter Weller is my fraggin Batman!!!. I really enjoyed Returns, Strikes back was hard to get through it was too busy art and story wise to really grasp my attention,. I had a good time reading master race though. I’m forgetting the name but the prequel to returns, I was stoked to read it then nothing really happened and it just kind of ended. I’ll definitely read the next installment though

It’s not the best by a long shot.

Tom King has been on BATMAN for awhile. Don’t tell him I said this, but I haven’t read any of it. Without starting from the beginning, what are some of the best story arcs I can read? Anyone have a favorite arc, or favorites?

I enjoy The War of Jokes and Riddles and Superfriends. War of Jokes and Riddles is highly contentious though I don’t think the arguments against it are weak.

And the worst is the one with KGBeast. Lousy. Pointless. Void.

Generally a King fan, but that one is subpar at best.

While I can’t say I’ve enjoyed most of his run, the I Am Gotham epilogue and the Superfriends two-parter were both great and definitely my favorite Batman issues he’s done

1 Like

Looks like SUPERFRIENDS is a good place to start. If KGBEAST is really that bad, I might look at it to see how bad. Thanks.

I didn’t mind KGBest except the results of what he did.

That single Swamp Thing issue with Mitch Gerads was awesome! Overall I haven’t been a fan of the run but I’ll concede that there have been okay stories here and there

2 Likes

I really don’t understand the hate on Tom Kings run, IMO it has been incredible and I have enjoyed every issue. The only thing I can see as a reason for the backlash is that like Morrison, sometimes King is better appreciated once you can read the entire run rather than the typical month to month. I don’t know, just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

The KGBeast story isn’t the worst thing in the world. There are plenty of bad comics in the world. It’s just the worst in King’s run. Of course I haven’t read anything in 2019. People say Knightmares is pretty awful.

I’d start at the beginning with King’s run, myself. I Am Gotham is a good story, and the entire series has a good flow.

1 Like

thelastgl: That’s great you liked the whole run, but what arc’s your favorite? Or what’s the best in your opinion & why?

Super-Friends is the arc that stands out the most in the run

2 Likes

The War of Jokes and Riddles was probably the best overall. Though I am currently enjoying the City of Bane. But I’ve also like his run the whole way through (which seems to make me the minority). So if you just want certain arcs, I’d say The War of Jokes and Riddles, if not I’d say start from the beginning and work your way through. I think it’s worth it.

Not all caught up on his run but fro what I read I enjoyed all the I am sagas. With I am Bane being my favorite out of the bunch.

Superfriends was also great. I always enjoy Bats and Sups together.

1 Like

Which is the best run of Batman?

I personally think that the Scott Snyder run is the best

I’ll always love Grant Morrison’s run. So many epic stories.

1 Like

It really depends on your view and taste in batman really to be honset

Steve Englehart. Short, but absolutely definitive.

2 Likes