Best Batman Graphic Novel?

I’m a fan. Wrightson killed it on art. So creepy. Blackfire was a genuinely terrifying villain.

2 Likes

Love “The Cult” I was so happy to see it some what brought into the Arkham series with Deacon showing up near the end. I love the art by Wrightson, dark and very gothic, and I love the story. I particulary like the end of book 2. For my Batman timeline it marks the turn from more fun stories, to very serious. It also gave me a way to mix Arkham Asylum by Morrison into the timeline.

3 Likes

I’m such a big fan of The Cult. Seeing Batman get brought down so low and still find the courage to get back out there and take back Gotham is one of the best things about the character. Also this is probably one of the most memorable post-Crisis stories where Jason Todd’s Robin doesn’t have a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas, so that’s good too :grin:

5 Likes

Additional thoughts can be found here:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing the thread @AlexanderKnox - what an excellent conversation! Everyone really thought through their responses and backed up their points with pages from the story. Great job @WorldOfBatsBookClub! :batman_hv_1:

4 Likes

Hands down of m yall time fav comics series. it was dark gritty. The art Worked in my opinion was great.

2 Likes

I love Batman: The Cult - I think partially because it’s one of Jason’s highest profile stories and I just get a kick out of seeing him kick some tail as the Boy Wonder!

5 Likes

I bought a collected edition of The Cult on my quest to collect the best Batman stories ever told. That comic run was on too many top 10 lists to be ignored, and to date it’s the only story I’ve read that has Jason Todd as Robin in it. But it’s simply the best representation of how important he was to Batman. To see Batman vulnerable and desperate is a rare thing, and Jason Todd saves him. The art is fantastic, the story is incredible, and this was among the top stories I want to see as an animated feature. I hope it happens.

6 Likes

Well now I have to read it.

5 Likes

Another fan of The Cult here, one of my favourite Batman stories.

4 Likes

great story! it was fun to see Jason in a better light as Robin and trying to help Bruce

4 Likes

It’s a hell of a story! That first issue especially is something else! There are definitely some moments in issue 4 that would cause a stir today with social media!

4 Likes

I remember there were some reviews about this Comic, during the time this comic was released,. lots of positive statments for Jason todd in this series. however i dont think it helped. During this time there was a lot of jason todd hate mail to the editor. yeah i read them cause i was kindna afraid with all the fan hate mail they would somehow get rid of jason. this was before death in the family

4 Likes

With art by the late, great Bernie Wrightson, Batman: The Cult is a must read.

4 Likes

I remember colecting each issue. it was soo good i couldnt wait for the next issue.

3 Likes

so i have a question i see on my dc app that the long Halloween is on here but, i cant read it with a hand ful of other comics.
like WONDER WOMAN: EVOLUTION is there something I don’t understand

welcome back @darksyde23!

batman reptilion is my fave not sure if it counts tho