Best Animated Television Version of Superman

Which animated version of Superman is your favorite?

• Fleischer Superman (1941-1943)
  • The New Adventures of Superman (1966-1970)
  • Super Friends (1973-1985)
  • Ruby Spears Superman (1988)
  • Superman The Animated Series (1996-2000)
  • Justice League/Justice League Unlimited (2001-2006)
  • Justice League Action (2016-2018)

0 voters

3 Likes

Fleischer Superman, easily. While I also enjoy…one of those other series (Ruby Spears), none of them are as significant to the history of Superman or to American animation as the 1940s series.

3 Likes

The animation for the Fleischer series is nothing short of beautiful. The Super Friends Superman is simplistic but accurate for that time period. I voted for Superman the Animated Series for several reasons. I love the balanced portrayal between Superman and Clark Kent. Clark Kent is quite and confident and Superman does have limits on his powers. I think the animated series did an excellent job in their portrayal of Superman’s villains.

I just wanted to say that it may not be the best but it is still worth the watch; that is Ruby Spears Superman. Which I’m very surprised is not on here.

2 Likes

The Ruby Spears Superman is the worth the watch for the opening credits alone. A highlight was the modern depiction of Lex Luthor.

1 Like

Idk how to answer this but my 2 favorite Superman movies (the only Superman movies imo) are Batman/Superman: Apocalypse and Superman: Unbound.

1 Like

@EverAJ those are really good animated Superman movies. I will say I forgive DC for Superman Doomsday with them fixing Death and Return of Superman. I hope they stay close to the source material for now on.

1 Like

Didn’t like Death Of Superman movie. I fell asleep. It was boring. But I thought Reign of the Supermen was good. I liked that one.

2 Likes

@EverAJ I think death of Superman is a lot better than doomsday!

2 Likes

It was close for me but STAS won out over Fleischer.

STAS, followed by Ruby Spears Superman.

The Fleischer Studios shorts top them all, but those were designed for and released in movie theaters, so I don’t group them with TV shows.

i thought the Fleischer series resembled more a television series, even with them being released theaters. They are short features that appeared before the actual movie. That being said I think they could of just as well been included in the animated movies list.

1 Like

They’re serial in nature, sure, just like the Batman, Batman and Robin and Superman movie serials.

I am all for an animated Superman movie (particularly a theatrical release) that is of the quality of the Fleischer shorts. It doesn’t necessarily have to be tied to them, but it should have that degree of astonishing quality and craftsmanship on display.

1 Like

Series- Justice League Unlimited, as I love angry Superman struggling and succeeding at holding on to his morals.

Movie- Reign of the Supermen.