Bendis' Superman

I’ve been catching up on Bendis’ Superman and Action Comics, and I have to say that Bendis has nailed Clark’s voice. Man of Steel, Superman, and Action have all been stellar, so the idea of Bendis removing Clark’s secret identity doesn’t scare me anymore.

3 Likes

I agree. I actually loved Tomasi’s Superman and he got me back into reading Superman. I was initially wary of Bendis writing Superman but I thought it’s been really good and thoughtful.
I’m still a little wary of this revealing of Clark’s identity (especially this happened somewhat recently but that time it felt like it was always going to be retconned.
With al the rumors about 5G, I’m actually interested. With the right writers I think it could be great.

2 Likes

Bendis doesn’t get Jon AT ALL. It’s not that his new direction couldn’t work. It’s that it hasn’t had any time to breath. Maybe Legion of Superheroes will change that?

3 Likes

I want to clarify. I have only been reading Action Comics. I didn’t love Bendis’ Superman run after the first few issues (and my weekly budget is pretty small).
I’m really interested in Legion and to see how he writes Jon and develops him. Hopefully for the better.

1 Like

I used to stick with books during stories I wasn’t fond of but I have dropped all Bendis books. I HATE what has been done to Jon Kent. I know all changes are due to the creators, but this change isn’t “Jon driven” its “Bendis driven” just to serve where he wants to go to make an impact. The Kents were a bright spot in the DCU and I loved Super Sons. Gone. Ruined. Young Justice has been purposely vague and although I have heard positives about Naomi, he is just shoehorning his “legacy” into the DCU.
Side note, I was just viewing preview art from Superman 17 and it left me wondering when this even takes place.
SPOILERS
In the art, we see Alfred. Diana with her bracelets. Aquaman with short hair. Hal Jordan as a Green Lantern. J’Onn alive. Hawkwoman with feathered wings. Not blaming this on Bendis, and I know some are minor, but does anyone at DC even care about continuity? (I freely admit that these images could actually be on target with upcoming changes. For example, solicits seem to show Aquaman with a traditional look, WW could easily be getting her bracelets back, and Manhunter is surely coming back.) This isn’t an angry complaint it just seems typical for DC lately.

3 Likes

I do miss Super Sons a lot.
In terms of continuity, I think that’s something DC has struggled with a lot recently. Especially because books like BATMAN largely ignore what happens in the rest of the universe (although I do love King’s run).

Honestly, the main reason I made this post was to get a feel for the new community layout.

Not a fan of Bendis and DEFINITELY not a fan of Clark’s identity being exposed.
Superman needs Clark a lot more than Clark needs Superman. Bendis says he has a thousand stories to tell with this new status quo; will one of them be how Superman looses his super-marbles because he no longer has a private life?

1 Like

I’m enjoying Bendis’s Action but I had to drop his Superman fairly early. He may get Superman’s voice but I really need a writer who gets the whole package and not just one character’s voice. I felt like his Superman had a lot of plot holes and far to many things that happened off panel or had no explanation for my liking. I also don’t care for the whole Jon age up deal mainly because I think it was a terrible disservice to a character that could have brought in a younger crowd to comics. Yeah there’s that other version of Super Sons but its really not the same thing at all.

2 Likes