🔍 BEHIND THE MASK 🔎 Robotman

And that is a very interesting bit to point out with the sandwich scene. Hm… I kinda wanna go re-watch the episode!

Babydoll’s aversion to Cliff, but being enamored with Cyborg. Heartbreaking!

I will say that Cliff being so reactionary in the donkey scenes doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not the evolved Cliff. The difference between him and everyone else is that he is totally in the moment. He’s not ignoring it like Rita. He’s not avoiding it like Larry. He’s not investigating it like Cyborg. He’s not acting on impulse like Jane. He’s just in it. Holy sh–! Holy sh–! Holy sh–! Maybe the appropriate reaction in the circumstance. He was right about the donkey and was the only reason the rest of the characters could even have been put on the path to going in.

He gets Jane back, and immediately shifts focus to her. He empathizes and despite her combative nature, he is always ahead of her or of Cyborg in terms of how to help her.

Cliff’s a blunt instrument, but he’s driving things. People are saying Cyborg is going to bring leadership to the situation, but Cliff has been leading ever since he went into town, just by example.

6 Likes

Perfectly said!

1 Like

Agreed. He naturally and so quickly became the leader of the group.
I guess that’s why he and Vic butt heads so often.

And yes the donkey scene didn’t necessarily mean he was “reverting”, just, you know, coming out of that honeymoon stage that imagine would exist immediately following years of existential incubation and careful therapy post-rebirth.

People can change, yes. But I think they will always remain quintessentially themself. It was just kinda funny being reminded that Cliff was still in there.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m not sure the writer’s are going to look too deep into that “meditation”. They could be looking at it as a convenient way to have jumped time and explained his choices at the end of episode 1, but may not explore the consequences further. I wish they would, but I think they have so much they can work with already, and they’re going to be throwing some much crazier things in coming episodes I’m sure.

1 Like

It does look that way!

I have to keep reminding myself periodically that this a DC superhero show. I do think they would be remiss to not address and depict the calming, clearing effects that would inevitably come along after years in pointed isolation and contemplation, especially after such intense life-changing trauma.

But you’re right. There’s an entire team to explore with so many intriguing themes!

I have never had such trouble waiting for a TV show to air a new episode. Lol

1 Like

I really enjoy how complex this team’s dynamic is!

Regardless of how much Chief is clearly withholding from them, they still trust him almost explicitly.

While I do understand that this must have much to do with the new life he has given each of them, in addition to respecting and accepting them where others did not, I am still waiting for the moment they begin to question all of the unknown elements surrounding him.

The back and forth between Vic and Robotman is very interesting as well. It isn’t exactly your typical vying for leadership dynamic… and there Jane sits in the middle of it… and what exactly is that position she’s in?
It is slightly hazy, due to her many personalities, which makes it sooo interesting to see play out - to see how a person like her affects the dynamics around her.

Rita and Larry’s relationship isn’t unexpected but it definitely has its own complexities. The way Rita bosses and answers for Larry is oddly endearing (perhaps because it doesn’t seem to bother Larry) … but why doesn’t it bother him? Is he so caught up in his own perso nal world and problems that he doesn’t care? Is this why he and Rita work?

Or is it just that they are each so different, such oddballs, that they almost naturally accept one another so completely?

Flaws, quirks, complexes and all… Hmm…

2 Likes

@macjr.1962.50796, I completely agree with you on the question about finding meaning, especially, and love how in depth your analysis is with regard to finding how certain happenings in life can have such a profound effect on our feelings and perspective of things later on, especially for a character like that with a backstory like that, definitely.

It’s also intriguing to look at how we must gauge our responses, and how easy it can be to sway toward one end of the spectrum (hating still living) or the other (loving every moment that one’s alive, on borrowed time), depending on what happens. After all that happened to Cliff, one can only wonder what “meaning” will/would end up resulting in; both for him, and us were we to come anywhere near losing what he has.

2 Likes

So… just came across this online. Top right panel shows that we were all pretty spot on in guessing what drives governed Robotman’s life.
Thrills. Excess.
“Danger & Excitement”

I think calling himself a “daredevil” in search for danger and excitement definitely highlights the fact that all of the ridiculousness in his life was solicited. Intentional.
Even before he was searching for meaning, it seems his soul was searching for meaning. And frustrated when it could not find any. Frustrated when what seemed like pure frivolity met him at every turn.

I think it’s this that really brings into play the concepts behind Dadaism. The things in life we feel/treat as important are actually pointless.