:00_shazam: Before Shazam, There Was...Chuck! đŸ“ș

Greetings @TheWildstormUniverse, and all fans of quality entertainment!

Actor Zachary Levi shone brightly in theaters this past weekend as the heroic Shazam in Shazam!: Fury of the Gods. If you’ve seen the movie, I hope you enjoyed it. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, then go see it
and come back here immediately after for more of Mr. Levi. :wink:

Years prior to his inaugural donning of Shazam’s cape in 2019, Zachary Levi played a hero of a different kind. This time it was on TV, in NBC’s Chuck.

There, Levi played one Chuck Bartowski, an employee of the fictional electronics store Buy More.

After a computer program containing the United States’ greatest spy secrets is embedded into his brain (or “mental sponge”, as some call it), Chuck becomes an undercover intelligence operative under the care of CIA operative Sarah Walker, played by Yvonne Strahovski, aka the live-action Black Canary that has yet to be but hopefully will be, one day (James Gunn and Peter Safran, I hope you and your casting associates are reading). The two ultimately went on five seasons worth of adventures.

Chuck was a fun and hip TV show, so it naturally went the way all fun and hip things do
into comics!

Behold, the Chuck mini-series, published by WildStorm in 2008 (a very special thanks to @D4RK5TARZ for suggesting this series last year):

Is Chuck new to you? Have you seen the TV series (available on HBO Max), but have yet to read the comic? Have you watched Chuck and read the comic?

Chuck (the TV series and the comic) is worth your time and then some. Prior to or after (heck, both) seeing Shazam!: Fury of the Gods, do please make some time for Zachary Levi’s other noteworthy, world-saving hero who makes you smile while he saves the world: Chuck!

Salute Hi GIF - Salute Hi Happy GIFs

4 Likes

This is near the top of my long list of shows I need to finish watching. I watched the first episode or two when it debuted, and loved it, but fell behind due to work.

4 Likes

I watched Chuck as seasons 1 and 2 debuted on NBC. It was one of my favorite then-current shows and then some, as it was hip-deep in geek stuff while also being a comedic adventure that was a joy to tune into, week after week.

Season 3 is when I started to tune out. The show was still good, but there’s only so many hours in the day to watch TV and there were other shows at the time that simply interested me more.

I did watch the series finale when it aired
and I have absolutely no memory of it. :smile:

Chuck is definitely on my HBO Max watchlist, because I want to catch the whole shebang and see how seasons 1 and 2 hold up all these years later, while also finally watching the seasons that are new to me.

As for the Chuck mini-series, I think I bought #1 when it debuted at retail, but I don’t remember going any further with the mag.

Chuck came out at a time where I was drastically trimming down a huge pull list. I’m sure I read #1 and then thought “Fun, but I’ll catch the whole thing in trade.” as I trimmed the title from my list.

Thank Rao for DCUI, because now I can read Chuck while also watching it on HBO Max. That’s the Buy More way! :nerd_face:

1 Like