Batwoman Cancelled

And now Legends is canceled. I was upset about Batwoman but I’m absolutely devastated and completely furious over this one

5 Likes

Nooo! This one hurts. Legends is easily the best Arrowverse show. I’m very sad to see it go. :sob:

2 Likes

Noooo. That stinks. I was hoping they could get at least one final season. Man. Hopefully they find some way to resolve there story. Maybe a comic or animated movie.

2 Likes

It’s absolutely awful. There’s clearly a big shakeup coming w/ an impending sale. I’m now fully expecting Naomi to also be canceled and it’s even more likely that Flash’s next season will be its last. Hell, maybe even S&L will end w/ season 3, and Stargirl could also not get renewed for season 4

3 Likes

With Naomi, it depends on how this first season ends. It has been good so far.

Honestly, I was surprised Flash got renewed. I hope S&L continues and same for Stargirl.

And I’m so sorry that this comment didn’t even last half an hour… :grimacing:

2 Likes

This one is somewhat more surprising but I think I understand the overall reason.

A thread here was discussing whether the CW Arrowverse was going to end and I said at the time yes and no.

Yes I did believe somewhat in the future that seeing the direction of the Arrowverse after crisis with Arrow, Supergirl, and Black Lighting gone that shows like Batwoman and Legends of tomorrow will end. But that’s the key word “end” not outright canceled.
Flash is narrowing toward it’s finale and it should be obvious that the Arrowverse as it was in the mid-2010s is ending.

Covid reduces 22 episodes to 13 for shows like Batwoman and with news of Nextstar and the discovery-warner bros merger, it should be seen that a radical change is coming to the Arrowverse that remove the previous mentioned shows from continuity. Perhaps that Diggle show Justice U can bring back some elements, but as it is Superman and Lois is the new flagship of a new superhero universe without question. It’s almost unsurprising that the cast of Naomi, Stargirl, Gotham knights, and Justice U are all teenagers in their series. A deviation from mature young adult of 20 somethings’ to adolescent young adult audience CW network usually reaches for.
Times are certainly changing.

1 Like

It is a bit disappointing that we won’t get a conclusion, but for me, it was getting a bit hard to watch the past few seasons.

1 Like

I saw Legends of Tomorrow’s cancellation coming but I’m still bummed about it. I always loved how the show embraced the insanity and had fun. This is the show that gave us Beebo, for crying out loud!

I’m especially bummed because I’ve always wanted Booster Gold on the show. We got him in the finale and I liked what Donald Faison did. As it stands, them going to jail for time crimes cause Booster ratted them out is how the show ends. Sure, it was a hilarious note to go out on but I still wanted to see more.

I wanted Legends to be the Arrowverse show that explored more of the DC Universe. Instead, it veered off into it’s own thing and that ended up working out for it! It was one hell of a ride.

4 Likes

Once Doom Patrol and other DC shows with a better budget came along, the writing was on the wall for somee of these series. They all kind of resemble Smallville with a leaner budget. They succeeded in building from just Arrow into an impressive block of shows, and peaked with Crisis on Infinite Earths, but have been in rapid decline since. They were never the best thing on TV, but they were fun underdogs to root for, and they mostly bested Marvel.

Batwoman was the only one that didn’t head straight to Netflix, so had that going for it, but it has had a bumpy ride. I mostly liked what they did with season 3.

3 Likes

I unfortunately saw this coming, there was just no room for these shows anymore.

I say we push for a wrap up season or movies for Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow on HBO Max. It would be nice to get closure on Legends especially. Batwoman had a total uphill battle having to replace the lead midseries. It won me over and got stronger with each episode. Legends was unique and there are so many stories to wrap up…

1 Like

While that sounds cool, It’s more likely they will do a comic book series like Smallville did afterwards when their show ended.

1 Like

Except Smallville had closure in the series. I need on screen closure…

1 Like

Agree.

Batwoman biggest problem though by far was that compared to even the supergirl show, Batwoman was limited by the Batman mythos and what they were able to show on screen.
They got lucky with Ivy and yet the showrunner admitted that Ivy role was still restrictive and could only be in a handful of episodes.

Season 1 was the worst because compared to even the more weaker narrative in Season 2, Season 1 had so much filler with the use of c-list Batman villains nobody liked in a villain of the week format to fill out the overarching narrative of Alice and Kate. A narrative that falls flat on it’s face when you realize how often Alice shows up in episodes that Kate could realistically captured or even convince her sister that what she was doing was wrong. Overall Alice is just incredibly Intrusive and annoying in Season 1.

We are promised a bigger world with Rachel medow radio host in the show referencing robin and other Batman related characters that would have been cool to see in a program with a better budget and more creative liberties but as it is, they wasted time in Season 1 that couldn’t prevent the first season from having one of the worst finales in a Arrowverse show.

Thank God, how long are you going to beat a dead horse ! I will say in the beginning Batwoman wasn’t bad with Kate Kane and “Alice was the whole show” ! I will say their very big last mistake was bringing in someone new to be Batwoman. Ok, Kate had to leave and they killed her off. The smart thing to do is to make her stepsister or former lover that was working for her Dad, Batwoman not introduse a completely new character out of the blue and make her Batwoman. That is where I drew the line and was lost and like a lot of other people left. Even though I was a lot more foregiviing then others with a lot of the other bad stuff on the show.

Oh yeah, you also had Alfred’s niece who could’ve become Batwoman too. ( 3 Choices )

2 Likes

Yes, either Alice or Sophie would have been preferable. It’s a shame because Sophie has potential more so than being a love interest to Batwoman( Kate and or Ryan).

If they wanted Alice, that would also be fine, although this show has a funny notion that to be Batwoman, you have to be a lesbain given the fact that the writers were insistent on getting one after ruby rose left.

Getting Wallis Day to simply replace Kate would have also been a smart move as well but apparently they were ashamed of recasting now these days.

Emphasizing that Ryan Wilder isn’t a inherently bad character but she could have been a new supporting character in the show that wasn’t Batwoman, maybe be a altogether new love interest for said Batwoman.
I honestly thought it would have been interesting during the early days of speculation for her character that Ryan Wilder worked for safiyah before turning redcoat, maybe have a arc where we discover her adoptive mom was killed by a known Batman villain like scarecrow and wants revenge could be something compelling. Gives her a reason to stay in Gotham and have a connection to a known villain.

As much as I love Legends, I’m more disappointed by the loss of Batwoman which had really come into its own and was as good as the best seasons of Arrow this last year. Legends was starting to show its age and if it weren’t for the cliffhanger ending I think this would have been a good farewell season.

What I’m really hoping for is a storyline on the next season of Flash similar to Armageddon where some of these characters can show up to get a proper farewell. I think that’s more realistic than expecting HBO Max movies and would be more satisfying than a comic book continuation. And while they’re at it, maybe Mia Queen could finally find William? Geez…

1 Like

Alice, Actually I didn’t even think of that, to (turn Alice good into Batwoman) (that’s actually a 4th good Chioce) but you would’ve had to either really step up Mouse into becoming the major villain without Alice’s help or created a real good villain to take over Alice’s place. But the stepsister that I was talking about was Mary Hamilton the underground medic. The underground medic would’ve had some skills that would be different would’ve showed a lot of promise.

1 Like

I think Sophie as Batwoman on paper would have been the best option.

The problem I think they had from a production standpoint is they made a big issue that Batwoman would be a lesbian and they would get a lesbian or bisexual actress to play her. Obviously they didn’t plan to re-cast but think they felt pressure to continue that mantra with whoever took over. So Alice or Kate’s step-sister becoming Batwoman would have abandoned both the character and (as far as I know) the actress being LGBTQ+. And arguably making Batwoman straight would have possibly cost them some fans as many viewers especially lesbian/bisexual/etc females were drawn to the show as they would see themselves in the main character.

Sophie would have had Batwoman remaining a lesbian. So it would seem like the obvious answer. But I don’t know if the actress was gay herself. Not trying to push as it ultimately is not our business, but if she wasn’t that might have been the issue with making her character Batwoman. Although even if the actress is straight, good chance extenuating circumstances might have been enough for no one to hold that against them.

But I also think the show after the promotion they gave seasons 1 felt pressure to have the new Batwoman also be played by an out lesbian or bisexual actress.

1 Like

I’am Sad That They Canceled Bat Woman!
They Also Canceled Legends!

I Think Both Shows Should Have Been Brought Back!
They Still Were Interesting and Fun!
I Loved the Dynamic of Bat Woman and Bat Wing!

I Still Think Both Shows Were Fresh!
New Ideas and New Villains!
I’m Going Too Miss Them!

1 Like