Batman v Superman Poll and Discussion

Do you consider this a Batman movie or a Man of Steel sequel? I think the directors cut is an amazing Batman movie and a very weak Superman film.

• Batman
  • Superman

0 voters

2 Likes

The theatrical cut is a Batman movie. The Ultimate Edition is a Superman movie.

6 Likes

But is it a good Superman movie?

2 Likes

I consider it both, but the poll doesn’t give that option.

5 Likes

The theatrical cut is not a great Superman movie. The extended cut is the best Superman movie since Superman II. It’s the only WB film featuring Superman that actually bothers to show Clark Kent being an investigative reporter.

3 Likes

And I agree the extended cut is way better. True for JL, too.

3 Likes

Definitely meant to add that option but can’t edit poll after 5 minutes

2 Likes

I do like that aspect, but it gives us one of the worst Lex Luthers.

1 Like

And here’s where I differ strongly with the consensus and say that he’s my favorite live-action Lex Luthor. Not to take anything away from Gene Hackman or John Shea.

Interesting, I thought he was way over the top.

Well, that gets into a whole thing about my problems with post-Crisis “Kingpin Lite” Lex and my belief that Luthor is supposed to be over the top.

1 Like

It’s both, but the main concept revolves around the ending of Man Of Steel, Batman’s actions are because of what happens in that Film, so it is a sequel to Man Of Steel. BVS wouldn’t be what it is if MOS didn’t need happen, Batman wouldn’t have the motives he has if it didn’t happen.

6 Likes

I always hated the “fear Superman” mentality. So I would never consider that a Superman movie. It’s more of a Dark Knight Returns movie.

1 Like

That really mattered to me. I thought nobody cared!

3 Likes

Look at how divided the world currently is, right? These are dark movies for sure, but would civilians behave better if these characters were real?

There would be protests, riots, and talking heads.

The problem with the films is we expect escapism from superhero movie. These films haven’t been that. When they are we praise them (Aquaman, WW, Shazam).

I think that Snyder’s films are deeper than what people expect (and possibly need) from a superhero movie. They’re too real and factor in human reaction more than a typical movie.

Consider the events of The Avengers. It would take years and years for a city to recover from that. Although “Homecoming” and “Civil War” deals with some of that… NY is more or less back to normal three years later. It’s functional anyway. You don’t see people in the streets going crazy over the creation of Ultron. Snyder would’ve shown the brutal reactions to these events.

I think BvS is a very authentic movie. That makes it very dark. I, for one, was sad to see Snyder leave. I didn’t love Aquaman. If that’s the direction DC is headed I’m going to be a disappointed fan.

BvS Ultimate Edition is a Superman movie all day.

6 Likes

I agree. I think it’s both. The theatrical version does lean a bit more toward Batman (which makes sense because Affleck was the new batman at the time) but the extended cut leans more toward Superman. I thought the ending, in both versions of the film, is what really made it a Superman film. Then we see how the next movie is supposed to be a Batman film.

1 Like

It’s neither. That’s one of its many problems.
It is really just an excuse for a self-indulgent filmmaker to do the fight scene between Superman and Mecha-Batman from TDKR. A movie structured around a single fight scene, taken out of context from the comic that gave it context, is just a bad premise and one big circle jerk. It is an epic fail as both a Batman and/or a Superman movie.

@Kon-El if you are disappointed in the direction DC is taking with Aquaman, WW, Shazam & WW84…you are in for a lot of disappointments moving forward.

1 Like

I disliked WW’s 3rd act so much it ruined the film for me. Much like I read comics because of creators, I watch films the same way. I really dislike the overuse of slow motion and otherwise funky frame rates in James Wann movies (example).

I loved Shazam. Loved it.

I look forward to DC films with very little enthusiasm. I’m not likely to be too disappointed because I rarely see them in cinemas anymore. Expectations are low.

The biggest issue (outside of directors) I have is I don’t like the characters that have been on screen other than Shazam and Supes. That takes a lot of excitement out of it for me. Understandable I think.

Now, if they announce titles containing Oliver Queen, Martian Manhunter, extended Bat-family (they ruined Orphan for me personally), JSA, LoSH…

The last list I saw did have a few titles that sound exciting. (Black Adam, Shazam 2, New Gods, and Supergirl)

I’m sad to see Snyder leave, but not because I really loved the movies. I just wanted to see how it played out under his guidance. I was pumped to see Darkseid punch it out with Supes.

3 Likes

To me its more of a Batman movie, but the movie itself is not very focused, so it really doesn’t have a main protaganist.

2 Likes

I’d be glad if they took a 20+ year hiatus on Batman and Superman. I think they might with Superman, but Batman just has to big a gen pop audience for them to ignore.

1 Like