Batman Unburied: New Episodes Every Tuesday!

Finished episode 6 - I feel like they should have started here, instead of trying to play the mind games with the first four episodes. Ah, well. I shouldn’t complain, since Knightmares is one of my top Batman stories. :slight_smile:

Found this in ‘White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn #2’. Nice reference to an ongoing part of ‘Batman Unburied’.

3 Likes

I think the Gray Ghost is actually a shared/parallel reference to classic pulps/Batman characters. There is a Gray Ghost in Stephanie Brown’s Batgirl run, too!

Also, unf, that art is so gorgeous!

2 Likes

Yup, well put. It all started with Adam West’s portrayal of him in the Animated Series

2 Likes

The latest episode today, #10, seems awfully like a season finale. Are we sure it’s 5 more episodes, @Alec.Holland ?

Wasn’t too bad, though I’m a bit…annoyed that they stole Rucka’s NML narration. It’s a weird blend of the Dirk Maggs Batman: The Lazarus Syndrome, Death and the Maidens, and a few others.

Acting was pretty decent, with the glaring exception of Batman’s voice - I know people make fun of Christian Bale’s Batman voice, but I really wish they hadn’t gone as hard for this production. It’s just a bit too distracting. Still a fun experience, even though the story itself felt a bit too small.

2 Likes

It was definitely supposed to be 15! But it does appear that this season is 10 episodes long. Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

Huh. Maybe they’re gonna roll the budget into season 2? All the questions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who knows! I don’t think that Season 2 is out of the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked the first two episodes a lot, liked the third and fourth episodes a bit less and it went downhill from there. They didn’t introduce the true villain early enough, they spent basically two full episodes in a world that didn’t exist without any significant payoff for that world down the line, there was never a true feel of danger to the series, Batman didn’t detect anything - he listened to recordings and then acted - and the use of The Riddler was wasted, in my opinion.

I wanted to like this but didn’t. Batman’s voice was over-the-top gravelly, Barbara’s acting was weak and overall it just fell flat for me. The Harvester was such a cool villain and not only did it not go anywhere but they killed him off! Shame.

I hope DC has more Spotify shows coming (who knows with the merger and what will fall where) and that the next ones are more to my liking.

Interesting - I preferred the show as it went on. The first two episodes felt very similar in concept to The Gift by King (not a favorite of mine, despite my general love of King’s Batman run). I do think Batman wasn’t very well defined in terms of what he could do and regularly does do. And yeah, the voice he did just didn’t work for me.

I know that the Spotify deal is supposed to have a lot of content, but it’s taken a long time to get this one since the announcement. DC Comics Expands Relationship With Spotify, Plans Nine Superhero Podcast Series – Deadline
This article says “9 series” - so potentially 8 more. But it took over a year from this announcement to get even the first one. That seems like a really, really long time for radio drama production.

1 Like

From the press release 15 months ago:

As you said, it didn’t get released in 2021 and took until early May to debut. It was supposed to be 15 episodes but ended up being just 10. If it took them 14 months to produce 10 episodes then let’s hope they were working on the other series simultaneously so we can get the next one fairly quickly.

Seems like a Riddler story could spin out of what we just heard but they could also establish another iconic character like Superman or Wonder Woman. Like everything DC does this project is heavily titled towards Gotham with six of the 10 characters coming from the world of Batman but as a DC fanatic I’ll take whatever they give me and eat it up.

Here’s hoping the next series drops soon!

1 Like

From an LA Times article this week:

It was the #1 show in the world on Spotify and that means they’re going to want to do more. The more DC content there is the happier we DC fans will be! Looking forward to the next one!

I also hope that they’ll explore other avenues, similar to how Webtoons is branching out with Vixen and Zatanna but keeping two feet in Gotham with Wayne Family Adventures and Red Hood. Seems quite reasonable to me.

Good to hear about the writer and actor being interested in a season two, even if I think they should just hire Dirk Maggs. :wink:

1 Like