Batman: Three Jokers 1

I loved Three Jokers 1 so much that I went back and ordered all the premium variants PLUS preordered the hardcover on Amazon.

2 Likes

The guy who runs my shop told me about the $500 1:500 varient…

I stuck with the $25 1:25.

5 Likes

Read it last night, really liked this first issue. Not surprised though Johns is one of my favorite Comic writers. That panel where Jason snaps that dudes arm was brutal! and oh the satisfaction of seeing him get his revenge, so good! Dang Fabok went to town on the variant covers LOL I just got the fish cover. If Johns isn’t gonna team up with Frank than Fabok is a great alternative. Those first panels were great also, but I couldn’t help but think, Batman maybe you should’ve upgraded your suit by now LOL. Just picked up The Question #4 today, I’m loving this story so far. I gave Strange a chance but I just can’t do Kings dialogue, it’s like nails on a chalk board for me.

3 Likes

Whats the worst dialogue in Strange.

Is it as cringey as “bat” “cat”?

2 Likes

I like the idea behind Strange but its been at the bottom of the reading list for a while now.

4 Likes

I’m not trying offend anyone who does like it, just not my taste is all and why I just threw it in here and not on that thread. But yeah I would say it’s like the bat cat stuff. I bailed after #3 so perhaps the story as a whole is good. Really just overall the dialogue comes off cheesy to me I guess, not how I feel the characters would talk or even say. I also kinda feel he just inserts too much of himself in characters maybe and thinks his plot devices are more clever than they are. I see that with Snyder as well. I loved his batman run and always give him the benefit of the doubt. Had issues with how metal ended and every story arc of JL just seemed like a add for the next vol. and bailed after # 3 of Heavy Metal just too out their for me and lines like the one’s between Batman and WW about why he chose a bat and the bit with them being a mammal that can fly just seemed like him trying hard to be clever IDK. Also don’t think their very good at comedy. I did enjoy Kings Mr. Miracle run for the most part. I can appreciate the overall premise of what he is attempting with his stories, like with his batman run, it’s just the dialogue is bad for my taste. Sorry long rant.

1 Like

Read the 90’s Adam Strange Mini, its the best modern take on the charactor.

1 Like

Loved issue one. So much to unpack there. The art and story were both top notch. Can’t to see where this goes. Got two more issues to get our answers. I for one am all in on this story.

4 Likes

Loved the first two books. Pretty awesome unique story, all three operating together, one gets killed and now they are looking at Jason Todd as a possible Joker!!!

Question for those of you who read past book one, does it get better in your opinion? If you liked the series, that’s great! I’m so happy for you. This question is moreso aimed at those who weren’t really into the story, but kept reading anyways.

I finally got around to reading Book 1 this past week and I was pretty underwhelmed. There’s been so much hype around this series, and I just feel like there’s really no substance to it. The story doesn’t really feel like it’s exploring anything interesting. It just hinges entirely on: “There are three Jokers! Isn’t that crazy??? What’s up with that?” While I usually enjoy Geoff Johns’ writing, I’ve been getting annoyed with how simplistic and expository it is. For example, “ain’t no way the joker coulda [done this]… he’d have to be in tree places at once!” The story overall just feels so underdeveloped and out of place from what I’ve read so far.

Once again, if you like/love these books, that’s awesome! I’m not judging you at all. I’m honestly jealous of you. But to those of you who were left with similar thoughts/feelings after book one, is it worth my time and money to keep reading?

Edit: To just counter out some of my negativity, I will say I’ve been REALLY enjoying the artwork in this book. Specifically the choice of limited/restrictive panels is great. Just figured I’d add a bit of praise to counter my criticisms.

3 Likes

I’m not sure whether you’ll love the conclusion or loathe it, but it definitely gets much more complex and asks more moral questions if that’s what you’re hoping for.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I’m just looking for a little more depth to the story/narrative. More scenes like Bruce confronting Jason in the ambulance and less of the Jokers just talking to each other. I normally wouldn’t complain about stuff like this, but since it’s a Black Label (which I believe means it’s targeted towards mature audiences) I just expect a little more nuance in the story than an average comic book. It doesn’t need to explore super deep moral problems, but it just kind of felt like surface-level explorations of this topic in this first book.

1 Like

As someone who liked the story overall but understands that it made more than a few mistakes along the way, I think that you should keep reading. There is more depth and meaning by the time you hit the third issue, and the artwork consistently knocks it out of the park. That said, be prepared to wade through more of that simplistic expository stuff. Without getting into spoilers, I will say that there are points in the story where characters seem to be repeating themselves, almost as if Johns thinks that the reader is either someone who would forget everything from the previous issue after a month, or who has never read a Batman comic before in their life.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this topic, I have this on my reading list!

2 Likes