:superman: :batman: Batman/Superman: World's Finest Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) :batman: :superman:

These sales are based on projections

As I understand it

A ratio based on a key comic book

But these numbers are collected from Local Comic Book Stores not Diamond or the Publishers

It does not include digital

To stay on topic

This issue might sell well

Issue 1
Famous writer
Great art
Batman
Cheaper than many other DC Titles

4 Likes

I just finished reading it! I liked it a lot. It’s got a lot of action and a good mystery. It definitely works well as a first issue to pull you and make you want to see what happens next. :slight_smile: :superman: :batman:

7 Likes

Honestly…all the crazy stuff the red Kryptonite is going to do to Superman. However, I am hoping Catwoman will be in it too and not just on the cover (it happened in JLA Act of god) But I love that she is not with the rouges and on batmans right side on the cover. I also hope we get a Catwoman and Lois team up if Selina is in it outside a cameo appearance. cause lets face it the real world’s finest is not batman and superman its Selina Kyle and Lois Lane :catwoman_hv_2:

Not familiar with a lot of the writers as I only recently really got into comics and mostly stick to Gotham titles and major crossovers. so i did not even know he left.

No

I have really only read the latest batman/superman title and need to get caught up on it as I acseadently skipped an issue and have yet to continue it.

what i hope to see: Atleast a Camio aperince by the Worlds’ finest aka Helena Wayne :00_huntress1: and :00_supergirl: AKA Power girl aka Karen Starr AKA Kara Zor-El. It could be don via a halosination (I likely did not spell this right) superman has. perhaps a double date with Clark and Lois and Bruce and Selina.
BEAST BOY. Catwoman and Batgirl pulling some kind of hist together would be fun to see too…but so would Lois and Selina pulling a hist together.

what i am wondering: Wait which Robin is this? Because thats one of Jason Todds costumes…is Jimmy Olson immortal and unageing? Because he never seems to grow up…and will we see him cross dressing? will supergirl show up?

Easter eggs: Superman in Batmans costume being desintagradted is a nice touch to the Superman the animated series episode: Knight Time.
Ivy in metropolis Batman hush.
Metallo’s ripped skin: Shades of both S:TAS and The Terminator.

4 Likes

You may want to try this also from Mark Waid.

No Lois, but it is a laugh riot of a heist.

6 Likes

I was hoping for great and it met expectations.

Dan Mora’s art was a bright joy to behold. I enjoyed him in Detective Comics and prefer him even more in light of day. The callback to Wayne Boring’s Superman #32 cover was a highlight.

I forgot this wasn’t going to be just my two favorite heroes in one adventure together, but my top three in DC. Dick Grayson, in his greatest role as Robin the Boy Wonder, was an excellent addition to the story to give it just the right amount of humor.

This was a breath of Pre-Crisis fresh air. No grumpy Batman telling Superman to stay out of his city. Lois is not in on the secret. Only one Bat sidekick shows up. We’ve got Robin in a death trap and red kryptonite.

As for the mystery villain, he certainly has the outline of a Waid co-creation.

For me, this is DC Comics the way it ought to be. It should be unchallenged for my favorite comic for some time to come.

Oh, Kurt Busiek is putting out a new Astro City in two weeks?

Well…Game on then.

5 Likes

Read it just now it was interesting…I bet Lois gave Superman a very hard time when he showed up with lipstick on his cheek that was not hers. I liked the hush reverence at the end.

4 Likes

I am very curious if anyone spotted any copies of the Lee Weeks Cyborg Superman/Azrael Batman Team cover in the wild? I dropped by two shops, and both of them had several covers (including the gorgeous Steph and Kara Artgerm variant), but no Team variant. :frowning:

3 Likes

I looked up my shop’s website, they didn’t carry it either.

Mycomicshop.com does have it for $9.99. So it is out there somewhere.

3 Likes

My favorite parts were Jim Gordon looking to change jobs and Selina coming up with a disguise for Superman.

And that last little burst of heat vision. (no goo for you!)

2 Likes

I am suspicious about this. Did they have an actual picture of the comic? Until I see hard copies, I’m wondering if they moved it or something.

2 Likes

More checking…

Lunar doesn’t list it, but it doesn’t list the slap covers either.

Midtowncomics.com has it for $11.99

Graham Crackers Comics does not list it.

I’m going to say it was released, but it was not popular, so not that many places have it.

2 Likes

eBay didn’t show many in-hand listings for the Weeks cover. Just stock images.

When I got my copies (Mora and Lee covers), I was so excited to get them and my other books, that I paid no mind to whatever other covers were on the shelf.

2 Likes

Ya, the Gordan part was good cause lets face it he is sick of batman disappearing on him all the time. the Catwoman gaga about superman was not.

1 Like

This makes me so sad. I would probably have impulse bought the Weeks cover if I’d seen it. :frowning:

2 Likes

Okay, so finally got a few minutes to read #1 and it was GREAT!

High points:

:batman: Poison Ivy and w/o green skin! When’s the last time we saw her like that, the Cycle of Life and Death mini?

:superman: Metallo! One of my favorite Superman villains, bar-none. I sometimes hear Malcolm McDowell’s voice when I read comics that feature Metallo, and this one was no exception.

:batman: Robin. I wasn’t expecting him to be along for the ride. I knew he was on the main cover, but I figured he was just a “Bye, Robin!” type of deal as Batman took off to meet up with Superman.

If he’s involved in the series for the long haul, I will be very happy.

:superman: The “diseased maniac” reference to STM. Also, Superman putting the Qwardian Weaponers on ice? Nice! :ok_hand:t2:

:batman: Alfred! :hugs: It was only a small scene, but I’m hoping we get more of Al throughout the series, given how it doesn’t seem to fit into current goings-on (which is just fine, by me).

:superman: Superman’s hallucinations of Zod and Luthor. When Superman said “I don’t know how you escaped The Phantom Zone, but if you want a fight, you’ve got one!” made me do a mental fist-pump.

Batman is scary, no doubt, but when Superman is as ready to throw down as he was in the fight with “Zod”, that diminishes anything Batman can cook up.

Never underestimate how scary Superman can be, because he can absolutely out-do Batman at his own game, and then some.

:white_circle: The flip side of the cover. As soon as I opened the issue, my four eyes were immediately caught by the credits page. Very slick, and nicely put-together.

Overall, a wonderful issue and it absolutely exceeded my expectations, and then some.

I think we’re looking at The Best Ongoing for 2022, and this is only the first issue, which makes me triumphantly excited for what’s to come for the rest of the year.

Also, I’m probably going to buy WF in singles and trades. If the book unfolds as well as #1 did, then I’ll want to put extra support behind it.

Plus, I haven’t bought a current trade release in print in quite some time, so having WF as my one print trade go-to will be nifty.

Still though, singles are where its at most for this book, and I can’t wait for #2, as I think it will be even better than this issue. If that’s the case and each issue is better than the last, then we are in for a BADASS book in the months ahead, and I couldn’t be happier. :superman_hv_3:

4 Likes

And here is the AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/tgfgtb/im_comics_writer_editor_and_publisher_mark_waid/

2 Likes

Variant cover for #4

4 Likes

WANT. :star_struck:

Also, that cover is likely going to serve as the basis for many Catwoman and Lois cosplay photos, which I am perfectly fine with.

3 Likes

I might end up ordering this.

3 Likes

Wait…i just notices something about lois

she has violet colored eyes like in the DCAU.

4 Likes