Batman & Robin Eternal

Anyone else give this series a read? I thought it was excellent, but wanted to hear what anybody else thought!

3 Likes

I am. I’m on #7 ATM.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it, but it overstayed its welcome a bit. I think it would have made an excellent 12-18 issue story.

2 Likes

The characterization of Cass is excellent, and that means a whole lot to me.

Two best scenes: Cassandra first discovering the magic of ballet, and Tim and Jason finally getting closer as he talks his brother in arms through a Joker flashback.

2 Likes

I’ve read the series twice. First time as I was collecting, second time to review it on YouTube. Not only do I consider it a sub-par series, I have to respectfully (though very strongly) disagree with HubCityQuestion in its characterization of Cass Cain. Tynion did not do a good job with this series, which one can in large part (though not entirely) on DC’s higher-ups for their inept reboot addiction. The worst part was seeing what felt like amateur writing try and reinvent the proverbial wheel, again, with such painful attempts at shock value and misplaced focus on the wrong character, which even included Cass’ life (somehow, it always connected back to the writer’s pet).

I found characters I used to enjoy had been dumbed down, infantilized, or otherwise twisted beyond recognition, because more attention “needed” to be paid to Harper Row, a character none of the writers could be bothered to make remotely unique in her own right. This was an egregious mistake Rebirth seems to have not bothered fixing. That’s not even getting into how they seemed to forget their own rules, among certain other conveniences.

@Mr_Morbach My first reaction to your post was “Why would anyone read this twice?”

1 Like

Loved it. Thought the whole “Mother” arc was really clever, and it’s always great when the Bat Brats have an issue with Bruce and his tactics. That said, it is very much a new 52 take on some fan favorites, so there’s definitely some tension for fans of certain characters. No spoilers as I still think new readers should give it a shot.

1 Like

@prodigalson.kendall.50258 Heh, that’s pretty funny.
Honestly, it was my distaste (or disdain) for the Eternal books overall that in part motivated me to try my hand at video reviews. Though I’ll admit my method of doing so was, perhaps, risky for a new reviewer.

@RedHood Tension is bound to happen when incapable higher-ups demand changes made for the sole purpose of saying “it’s different now”, and expecting people to conflate “different” with “good” or “better”. The “New52 takes on fan favorite characters” were so antithetical or improperly focused, it’s baffling to read Tynion say he’s a professed fan of them.

Honestly after managing to make it through Batman Eternal by the skin of my teeth I was tired of Snyder’s Batman work (or rather the whole “This is the MOST important Batman story EVAR and will change EVERYTHING” nature of Snyder’s N52 Batman run) and Tynion has never been a favorite of mine so I dropped it only a few issues in. I might go back at a later date and give it another try but right now is not the time for that.

1 Like

It’s fair to note that Snyder did not have that much to do with the Eternal stories (as he’s said himself). He helped his buddy Tynion to a degree, but most of it seems to be on James and the other writers (working on “The Fourth’s” ideas, likely). His name on the book brought it in his existing fanbase to give a weekly series a try, if the whole “anniversary” gimmick wasn’t marketable enough. If you can market something popular, it doesn’t have to be good.

So when we get mistakes like Orphan, Harper Row, and the overlooking how the exploded circuit breaker would’ve had nothing to do with the trains and Gordon was clearly not to blame and him going to trial/prison had no logical reason for happening beside the story wanting it so, it was a team effort! Though Snyder maybe just coached one of the players for a short time.